R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #871
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

dr, I know it, i'm just trying to keep the thread from getting too heavy, there is enough of that. Hard to type in a sense of humor, chuckle, etc. though.

, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Agreed...and for the record, I'm not a real Dr. I just play one on the internet.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne

Last edited by dr_hfuhuhurr; 09-20-2006 at 09:21 PM.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #873
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Kevin, carefull, it isn't easy to convince X Ray drivers to be patient, afterall they get new cars twice a year. I wonder....if they are so good at what they are doing why do they always need to improve the car? LOL

I have learned more about the X ray in this thread then the new A/E car! Looks like you may take some heat defending A/E in the "A/E sedan thread".

I used to love running TL and hearing, "They only won because the bought all the best drivers".
Now I hear, "if their car was any good they would win and prove it".

I guess it is all about perspective?
Sorry for the long post, I love the intraWeb, it makes me laugh.

, Jim
Um, Jim, get your head out of the clouds. In case you didnt see it in my signature, I am an HPI guy. But, I have owned a few TC3's (illegitimate father of the Pro 4) and own one as my sleeper car. I drooled when I saw the shot of the AE belt with the GTB (thats what I run hee hee) and the additional fans sick sick sick. Seeing that HPI has been crapping on us HPI guys (HotBodies Cyclone, pluh-yeez, I dont care what Moore did), I see it is time for me to get a winning design. XRay just went solo a hot minute ago compared to HPI and Team Associated and look what they are doing. That being said, AE needs to hear the POP! The "POP" is the sound of them pulling their heads out of their A$$ and get this car to the people who want it!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #874
Tech Rookie

I've loved my TC3, happy with my TC4, but I'm getting killed by belt drives.

Come the end of my racing season in Nov, i hope we'll have a release date, cause i'm getting a belt drive next year and i want mine to be an AE !
mintygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM   #875
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

I realize that in the off road 1/10 scale world and especially 1/12, AE is the leader and other manufacturers may copy AE designs. But in the TC area, my perception is that AE lags. I own a TC3 and TC4. I like AE cars, prefer them. But this AREA 51 attitude of teasing people for months while other companies are revising and putting goods on the market is getting old.

The GT2 was handled well, it seemed to appear out of nowhere. I just get this feeling that I am waiting to buy a car after the race team has finished developing it and moved on to the next revision.

I am sure it is the same with other manufacturers, but you feel "cheated", when you buy a pro level car and do not see the top level drivers using it. If you compared this to real car racing, it would be like buying a Porsche Cup car asnd showing up at the track and racing the "Factory" team, who has a new different car. You would feel as if you spent you money buying leftovers and were left behind.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #876
Tech Fanatic

Brent,

Any upates on how the Boyz are doing at the IIC???

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #877
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volracer
But this AREA 51 attitude of teasing people for months while other companies are revising and putting goods on the market is getting old.

I am sure it is the same with other manufacturers, but you feel "cheated", when you buy a pro level car and do not see the top level drivers using it. If you compared this to real car racing, it would be like buying a Porsche Cup car asnd showing up at the track and racing the "Factory" team, who has a new different car. You would feel as if you spent you money buying leftovers and were left behind.
You summed it up in a nutshell!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #878
GK
Suspended

Is this the new AE car or what am I looking at?
http://www.rc50.com/modules/coppermi...6/PICT2971.JPG
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #879
Tech Adept

Yes this is the new car.
I scan see no differences with the one from the worlds.
S_fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #880
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 194 (99%+)

I know I will get flamed for this. But that car does not look near as cool as any of the cars out now. Or that is going to be coming out. I will say that the top deck is way to high. They need to look at the xray and lower it!
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #881
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I know I will get flamed for this. But that car does not look near as cool as any of the cars out now. Or that is going to be coming out. I will say that the top deck is way to high. They need to look at the xray and lower it!
Not famling but...

Why? Exactly what does lowering the top deck do? The top deck on most cars weigh less than 7g (1/4 oz) so don't tell me it lowers the CG of the car. Lowering the motor 1mm has a bigger effect on the CG of the car than than lowering the top deck 10mm...or even taking the top deck off .

Structurally low top decks are less stiff and require thicker, heavier, more expensive chasis to get the stiffness back. Ever wonder why the Corally guys run a 4mm chassis on foam tires...now you know. Ever wonder why an Xray FK 05 with 2.5mm chassis is stiffer than an RDX? The FK 05 had a high top deck.

Low top decks also limit height of the layshaft and the size spur you can run. A Cyclone can run a 110 max, a T2 118 max, an RDX 118, 415MSX 108, etc. Brushless motors are getting more popular and require much lower gear ratios than brush motors. On small tracks you need to run in the 12 to 10:1 range. 10:1 is about the best you can do in any of the above cars. To get close to 11:1 you have to break out a Dremel too ...12:1 forget it.

Low top decks are all about fashion not engineering. I applaude AE for designing a race car not a blinged out bench queen.

One last point...how many times has Barry and his new low top deck mee too car finished ahead of Rick Hohwart and his AE proto (Which I heard is Barry's old car) ...the score is Rick 3, Barry 0.
Carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #882
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to VoneS3Kid

Looks like a good car, not much detail but im sponsored by associated so im willing to give it a shot, u never know, you might have xray looking up to you
I dont think anything on the market will beat the new JRXS R though
Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #883
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Carb - What do you do? You sound like an industry guy. You posted a lot of the stuff I said a year ago about why we didn't put a low top deck on the Mi2EC.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #884
Tech Initiate

I am an Engineer and I work for Uncle Sam. I remember reading that post you made. I was looking at getting a Mi2EC but I got a Cylcone instead. You guys need to update your car. Its fast as anything else but it dosen't let you get at the diffs easy...thats what turned me off. I wish I had an Mi2 though...my LHS has Schumacher stuff but can never get Cyclone stuff. I have to get everything from Japan .

I will probably get a TC5 when it comes out...everyone has AE parts.
Carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #885
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The biggest surprise in this whole thread is that a lot of XRay guys buy cars purely based on how they look. No, really, look at me being shocked.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote