R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #8806
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaves View Post
Josh,
Well I got myself a TC5r, had the TC5 with a itf top plate, and tried out your set up ( trackside ).
Well I won two of three heats and tq.
Racing happened in the A main, but I did end up second. Also it has been a while since I tq.
The car was very fast and consistent. It was not loose at all.

I found with your spacer change from 1 mm to .8 etc. I made a goof that Scottrik pointed out. I went with 3.5 mm, the old spacer measurement, to match the 3.4 mm. That is how come it was loose. It did not have the toe needed for the rear.

Thanks for all you guys taking your time and helping us all out.
Thanks Josh H.
God Bless
Hi

Could you post the set up you have I would love to give it a try.

Thanks.
runinonempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #8807
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistic View Post

I bought a used Cyclone and it is 6 in the plate and two in the motor.
Interesting. The one I just looked at was 4, and of course the standard 2 for the motor. Still, the TC5 takes the most screws to change the darn spur.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #8808
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaves View Post
Josh,
Well I got myself a TC5r, had the TC5 with a itf top plate, and tried out your set up ( trackside ).
Well I won two of three heats and tq.
Racing happened in the A main, but I did end up second. Also it has been a while since I tq.
The car was very fast and consistent. It was not loose at all.

I found with your spacer change from 1 mm to .8 etc. I made a goof that Scottrik pointed out. I went with 3.5 mm, the old spacer measurement, to match the 3.4 mm. That is how come it was loose. It did not have the toe needed for the rear.

Thanks for all you guys taking your time and helping us all out.
Thanks Josh H.
God Bless
Bryan's car was HOOKED UP!! If he hadn't fallen foul of traffic he'd have won, and it's not like the Xray ahead nor the Cyclone behind were slow...they were darn quick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
I've got the Orion 3800 30c lipo's with the Specialized RC battery tray. PPD weight tray is on the way.

The problem I'm seeing is that there is about 1.5mm play in the battery side-to side and top to bottom. I assume/hope the PPD tray will take the play out of the vertical but what are people using to take out the play in the horizontal direction?
I just got one the the 2nd spec plates from ManuTech (http://www.manutech.info part number 132-102...tell Chris Scottrik sent cha) that appears to be a thicker plate with reliefs cut into it to positively engage the "bumps" on the bottom of the Orion and similar batteries. I'm VERY impressed with how "locked" into the car the battery feels with this tray. The tray also still has the lips for if you get a "square" brick pack (ala the SMC, Trackpower, etc).

Added bonus...the plate weighs 200g on it's own, much heavier than any of the competing trays owing to being machined from brass. It also looks very distinctive riding in the car, that nice brass accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Personally, I think the TC5 is one of the more frustrating cars to work on. I run mod and 13.5, so I have to change the pinion, spur and motor. To change the spur, you have to take out 9 screws plus the 3 in the spur. Because I have to take the top deck off, I must also put my antenna back in with each spur swap. The Xray 009 is only 4 screws, the Yokomo BD is only 2, and I believe the Cyclone is only 4. For the most part, the pinion has to be changed by taking out the motor bulkhead as the belt is in the way. In mod this is not the case because usually the pinions are small enough to fit between the belt.
Must never have tried to change the spur on a TC3/TC4...the TC5 is GRAVY!!.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #8809
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Nope, not a TC3/TC4, but an NTC3. THAT was no fun!
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #8810
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is Josh H. set up from trackside.
He measures the spacers at the bulkhead by their actual widths
ie 1 mm = .8 mm
1.5 mm = 1.3 mm
2 mm = 1.75 mm

Great set up and the TC5r is fun to drive fast.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Josh Hohnstein trackside.pdf (205.1 KB, 150 views)
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #8811
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
The TC5 is just as capable as any other car out there. Really all the cars are pretty equal. It all comes down to the skill of the driver. When they scowl at you, you can wave the wad of cash you have left over at them and drive on by.
Thats awesome Jay!

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #8812
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
The TC5 is just as capable as any other car out there. Really all the cars are pretty equal. It all comes down to the skill of the driver. When they scowl at you, you can wave the wad of cash you have left over at them and drive on by.
I would just buy ice cream sandwiches with the money, and not share with the other drivers.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #8813
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Ok...I feel like a total idiot but I can't seem to get the ball cup on my steering link. I've tried 5 different ball cups. I've tried threading it on another rod then transferring it to the steering link. NOTHING IS WORKING.

It looks to me like the top most thread is not right, like it goes right around in a perfect circle. I tried using the tip of an xacto blade to follow the threads and when it gets to the top, every time it just sits there. Really wierd. I've been building kits for over 20 years and never had a problem like this.

The other strange thing is I can't seem to find the part anywhere.
Associated #1403 does not show up on Tower or Horizon.

I'm about to go nuts having something so stupid beat me like this.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #8814
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Had the same problem when Im building my TC5R, the ballcup doesnt bite
the turn buckle. Happened to my camber link. Fortunately I have a spare
from my TC4 and in the same size. I while try to file the tip so I can make
it usable again. But it's titanium, I think I need a lot of force to file it.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #8815
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow, it's nice to know that somebody else had this problem too. I had that problem with my RC18B. I just ended up getting a set of the steel turnbuckles, cheap, worked like a charm. As for the TC5 knuckles, I am currently changing all of them to the ones from Xray, they never pop off when I'm adjusting to a short length on the car. The associated ball cups just are a little too small and chincy to stay on the ball ends. The Xray ball cups are a lot beefier and seem to never pop off.....At least for me
No 1/12 scale till they run with rubber tires!!!
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #8816
Tech Addict

Noticed some of the team drivers setups are using xray springs..if the # values are the same..what is the difference? Length?

also anybody tell me what losi 56 pistion is = to in AE pistion? ..if there is an =.

Thanks.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #8817
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
Noticed some of the team drivers setups are using xray springs..if the # values are the same..what is the difference? Length?

also anybody tell me what losi 56 pistion is = to in AE pistion? ..if there is an =.

Thanks.
The springs are roughly the same size. I think it was more of a "feel" thing. Some of the guys could feel the difference and liked the way they felt and some guys just do it beause they saw someone else do it.
For rubber I prefer the AE springs.........and I have tried just about every other spring out there.

Piston's........I feel that a losi 56 is somewhere between a #2 and #3 AE piston
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #8818
Tech Master

[QUOTE=speedsterblade;5408766]Nice, that job rocks! JGP was were it started for me.. I knew some of those brake & apex markers were fimilar. Old Ed B. schooled me. raced wera & ccs for 3 years... Not enough $ to keep it going so got back in to RC'n.
QUOTE]

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to spend big $ to race ccs.
I don't suppose you knew a guy named Brian Gibbs? From Macon GA I believe.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #8819
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Josh Hohnstein;5418088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
Nice, that job rocks! JGP was were it started for me.. I knew some of those brake & apex markers were fimilar. Old Ed B. schooled me. raced wera & ccs for 3 years... Not enough $ to keep it going so got back in to RC'n.
QUOTE]

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to spend big $ to race ccs.
I don't suppose you knew a guy named Brian Gibbs? From Macon GA I believe.
my little 954 just couldn't hang w/ the newer liter bikes as an expert..down too many ponies that my braking/corner speed just couldn't make up ..and wasn't about to buy a new bike & race prep it just to keep up.

Thanks for the spring/pistion info. Trying a new setup tonight. the F kit setup was ok, faster than my old tc4ft....but can be alot better.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #8820
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

[QUOTE=speedsterblade;5418301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post

my little 954 just couldn't hang w/ the newer liter bikes as an expert..down too many ponies that my braking/corner speed just couldn't make up ..and wasn't about to buy a new bike & race prep it just to keep up.

Thanks for the spring/pistion info. Trying a new setup tonight. the F kit setup was ok, faster than my old tc4ft....but can be alot better.
Now your killing me I was racing a 99 ZX9 in 03 at Willow "the fastest road in the west" and winning on occation against the big mean GSXR 1000s. Spotting 25 horse and 40lbs of bike not to mention my own 200lbs.

Much like our hobby it's all about the driver/rider.
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote