R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #8416
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

in regards to the xray center one way for the tc5....confirmed?
artica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #8417
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
When you switched to spool did you make any other changes?? The carpet we run on has tons of bite on it (they actually spray the track) and it seems the set up you posted is for meduim bite carpet. Any suggestions on any changes would really help out, thanks...
I go to alot of races every year and the Novak race always has the most traction. That setup works on the highest of bite.
The only things I changed were 6 deg castor and a full long rear link.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #8418
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jim S

what is the difference betwenn the spool and oneway
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #8419
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nelson View Post
While practicing for the Novak I could run a 41/100 on the 13.5 LRP and it stayed in the 150's for temp. compared to Josh who had 40/100 on his 13.5, but I didn't have the timing advanced much more than it comes stock from LRP.
thanx mike i will start there. i assume this is with an lrp speedo. i have the tekin rs and with the new boost timing feature. i know i have to gear at least 3 teeth lower
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #8420
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
I go to alot of races every year and the Novak race always has the most traction. That setup works on the highest of bite.
Josh,thanks for the help,needed more than 2 packs of practice,car was getting close had a tire unglue in the main hope to race with you again soon.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #8421
Tech Addict

got my kit built...question on balancing the car. Motor side is way heavier than what I'm fimilar with (tc4ft with motor running front to back parallel w/ the drive shaft, unlike the tc5 just poke'n out the side..and the tc4 was perfectly balanced w/ the packs I was running). Is anyone adding lead to even out the heavy motor side? I'm using a GTB/13.5 & airtronic 360 servo on that side and smc 5k lipo (thinks its about 280grams) on the other.

I placed some lead on both sides of the battery (about 15grams on both sides, front and rear on the chassis)just to see..seemed alot better balanced on the hand scales but 30grams is alot of lead imo. So is it better to be lighter and deal w/ the 'uneveness' or balance it and lug the dead weight around? ...or run a bigger/heavier pack?

I like novak gear but they need a lighter & smaller foot print!!!!!!!!

Thanks.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #8422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
got my kit built...question on balancing the car. Motor side is way heavier than what I'm fimilar with (tc4ft with motor running front to back parallel w/ the drive shaft, unlike the tc5 just poke'n out the side..and the tc4 was perfectly balanced w/ the packs I was running). Is anyone adding lead to even out the heavy motor side? I'm using a GTB/13.5 & airtronic 360 servo on that side and smc 5k lipo (thinks its about 280grams) on the other.

I placed some lead on both sides of the battery (about 15grams on both sides, front and rear on the chassis)just to see..seemed alot better balanced on the hand scales but 30grams is alot of lead imo. So is it better to be lighter and deal w/ the 'uneveness' or balance it and lug the dead weight around? ...or run a bigger/heavier pack?

I like novak gear but they need a lighter & smaller foot print!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Most of us who are running a lipo have to add quite a bit of lead to the car to bring it up to legal weight. I've got probably 6 oz of extra weight on the car and it's about 5 grams above the legal weight.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #8423
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssocRacer View Post
Most of us who are running a lipo have to add quite a bit of lead to the car to bring it up to legal weight. I've got probably 6 oz of extra weight on the car and it's about 5 grams above the legal weight.
yep. you have to add weight. I have the SMC 5k pack in my car. I'm using the PPD SS plate under the battery and the Specialized battery tray. With some careful placement of my electronics that balances out the car. With a lightweight body I still had to add about 20g to make the 1510g limit at the Novak race.

Village Idiot Racing
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #8424
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

Since you guy's are on the subject, do you use a lipo plate which i think is around 7 grams (not sure) and then add the weights where needed to get it balanced.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #8425
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssocRacer View Post
6! So adding 1oz aint nothing! lol. We don't run roar rules, no weight limits...just club'n. I'm thinking it's better to have it heavier but balanced for consistency...

Thanks.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #8426
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel33 View Post
yep. you have to add weight. I have the SMC 5k pack in my car. I'm using the PPD SS plate under the battery and the Specialized battery tray. With some careful placement of my electronics that balances out the car. With a lightweight body I still had to add about 20g to make the 1510g limit at the Novak race.
anyone got links to that plate & tray?...I usually just tape the packs. but curious.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #8427
Tech Fanatic

I moved some things around to get the balance right

Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #8428
Tech Fanatic

Default plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
anyone got links to that plate & tray?...I usually just tape the packs. but curious.
I went with the Manutech plate, mine came marked at 182g , I drilled out the holes in the center of the plate to balance the car. I also used a dremel and made little sections for the battery to set down inside to help keep the battery locked in. I know you can get it from Manutech or Stormer also carries them, just look under Manutech at stormer hobbies. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-img_0055.jpg   Team Associated TC5-img_0056.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #8429
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

http://www.ppdbillet.com/ - link to the plate I used. I don't use the side plate, that's too much weight.

http://www.corallyusa.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SRC79867!SRC - battery tray

Village Idiot Racing
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #8430
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
So let me get this right, same set up, spool, 6 degree caster and full long link are the changes?? Wow I must be a DA but what do you mean by a full long rear link???
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote