R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #8296
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)

I heard people have problems with tightning the diff and the nut stripping out. Is this a common problem?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #8297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_Buster View Post
I heard people have problems with tightning the diff and the nut stripping out. Is this a common problem?
i had that problem when i first built my kit but i found very quickly that u dont have to tighten it that tight and a little secret use a t nut for the t3 it works alot better
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #8298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
i had that problem when i first built my kit but i found very quickly that u dont have to tighten it that tight and a little secret use a t nut for the t3 it works alot better
Ok thanks I want to purchase this car but I just wanted to know if this was a big problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #8299
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Finished building my TC5R. Bought a DNA2 body and cut it... I was disappointed to see the TC5 bumper is too long and hitting the body.

So what Protoform shell can I use that will fit the tc5r without modifying the foam bumper?
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #8300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jim S

the R-9 might but speed 6 works

Last edited by Jim S; 01-05-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #8301
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
Finished building my TC5R. Bought a DNA2 body and cut it... I was disappointed to see the TC5 bumper is too long and hitting the body.

So what Protoform shell can I use that will fit the tc5r without modifying the foam bumper?

Try the parma ulitmate bumper. I currently run one with the r-9 body and fits perfect. You can always sand the original bumper and little to make it fit.
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #8302
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

you want a mazda speed 6 or regular 6 the only 2 bodies you will ever need
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #8303
Tech Fanatic

hey josh, what axle nuts do you use with the hex spacers. i cant seem to find any that will allow the nylon in the lock nut to reach the axle. the setup is working awesome for me but my wheels keep loosening up all the time thanx
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #8304
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

if it's feasible mount the nuts backward, nylon first
ALBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #8305
Tech Fanatic

thanx alberto but i cant find any without a flange
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #8306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
hey josh, what axle nuts do you use with the hex spacers. i cant seem to find any that will allow the nylon in the lock nut to reach the axle. the setup is working awesome for me but my wheels keep loosening up all the time thanx
alberto has the right idea i used to do it back in the tc3 days and the t3 with certain wheels on the t3 u have to put them on that way hope it helps
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #8307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I'm not too experienced w/ road racing, but I'm looking at a Factory Team TC5. They're $280 on Amain right now and I think there is a $25 coupon until the 9th.

What is the dimensions of the battery tray? What's the biggest Lipo battery you can run? I'm thinking of a castle creation setup, in there, perhaps something in the 6xxx kV range.
Anyone?

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #8308
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Lebatek

Delete double post...

Sponsored by: Team Associated, Reedy, Airtronics, LRP, and Mugen

Last edited by Lebatek; 01-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Lebatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #8309
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Lebatek

PADAILEY:

I have been running a setup nearly identical to what Kevin Hebert posted a couple pages back on this thread for the TC5 on carpet with foam. It is easy to drive and very responsive (a unique combination) but can be toned down a bit by slightly raising the front ride height to nearly equal ride heights or even a hair higher in front (less than .25mm higher). It will all depend on how agressive you want it, and how much traction your surface will have. I'm guessing that after a couple of hours of solid running, it will increase from wherever it is now.

We typically run magenta compound foams all around with full saucing in the rear and anywhere from 1/8 to 1/3 of the inside fronts. I prefer Paragon Ground Effects. Another way to tone down the agressiveness is to take a step back in coupounds and go back to double-pink rears and double-pink orange fronts. Many of our locals prefer the easier-to-drive feel of them...

The key thing with the TC5 will be to copy the EXACT setup. Missing one or two small setup items (even by a mm or two) can make a HUGE difference in performance. I help out many racers locally who say they have a certain setup on the car, and after some observation, in reality they have "some" of that setup on their car. Make sure to put the exact setup on and have someone double check the car. Camber is also very crucial on the TC5, so be sure to start at 3 in the rear, 2 up front...use a setup station if possible. The Protoform R9 is the best body I have found for foam.

Good luck!

REARVIEWMIRROR:

Reedy's original 5000mah LiPo batteries are approximately 46mm X 139mm X 24mm and they can be used with the stock battery strap. However, many of us are running the Diggity Design carbon fiber tray along with the PD Billet stainless steel weight that fit into the existing battery slots when running LiPo.

Sponsored by: Team Associated, Reedy, Airtronics, LRP, and Mugen
Lebatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #8310
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebatek View Post
PADAILEY:

I have been running a setup nearly identical to what Kevin Hebert posted a couple pages back on this thread for the TC5 on carpet with foam. It is easy to drive and very responsive (a unique combination) but can be toned down a bit by slightly raising the front ride height to nearly equal ride heights or even a hair higher in front (less than .25mm higher). It will all depend on how agressive you want it, and how much traction your surface will have. I'm guessing that after a couple of hours of solid running, it will increase from wherever it is now.

We typically run magenta compound foams all around with full saucing in the rear and anywhere from 1/8 to 1/3 of the inside fronts. I prefer Paragon Ground Effects. Another way to tone down the agressiveness is to take a step back in coupounds and go back to double-pink rears and double-pink orange fronts. Many of our locals prefer the easier-to-drive feel of them...

The key thing with the TC5 will be to copy the EXACT setup. Missing one or two small setup items (even by a mm or two) can make a HUGE difference in performance. I help out many racers locally who say they have a certain setup on the car, and after some observation, in reality they have "some" of that setup on their car. Make sure to put the exact setup on and have someone double check the car. Camber is also very crucial on the TC5, so be sure to start at 3 in the rear, 2 up front...use a setup station if possible. The Protoform R9 is the best body I have found for foam.

Good luck!
Thanks... its going to be quite a challenge! We certainly don't want to fight an ill handling car for 4 hours. That's following a 2.4 hour mini enduro in the morning!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote