Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #811
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle
Brent,

Are you going to the IIC?

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Yes, I will be splitting my time between the IIC and the Gas Truck Nationals. Unfortunately I want to race both events, but can't commit to either one so I am racing neither...make sense?

For the IIC we will have Drescher, Levanen and Hohwart running both Modified Foam and Modified Rubber with the new car. Testing has been going well, so I'm looking forward to seeing these guys fly around the track.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #812
Tech Adept

ok, heres my question. if we all know that there is a new car, that so far has been doing good at the races its been run at, why cant we get some pictures or even an aproximate time on a realaes date, or how about a definate yes or no on weather the car is going to be produced?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #813
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51
Don't hold your breath...your friend was misinformed. Sorry.
I concur, the kit is in the hands of a few racers (top level racers). The largest portion of the molding process should finish in November, hopefully, and then more of the contracted drivers will have their cars, then we will!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #814
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The car will be produced, but probably won't be out to the public until the 1st of the year or later. Hopefully all the hard work will put them back on the map in the TC market. Will be good to see Losi and AE duking it out at the top again. I guess no pics yet as there are testing a lot of stuff and it won't look like the car that hits the shelves.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #815
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
The car will be produced, but probably won't be out to the public until the 1st of the year or later. Hopefully all the hard work will put them back on the map in the TC market. Will be good to see Losi and AE duking it out at the top again. I guess no pics yet as there are testing a lot of stuff and it won't look like the car that hits the shelves.

Brian i think you hit it on the head....
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #816
Tech Regular

brandonw -> Unfortunately we are in the pre-production stage of the vehicle right now. On the previous page I explained why I didn't want Juho to share his setup information. That is the same reason we don't want photographs. I don't mean to be rude, but we don't want to give any false impressions. Hope you understand.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #817
Tech Apprentice

Here is my question for you if them guys are running both classes how can they do good in both classes because the cars will drive so different. Why would you not give someone that runs foam a car and someone that runs rubber a car so they can both do good in the class that they run all the time.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #818
Tech Elite

Brent if you want. I will take your spot at either of those events. Let me know.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #819
Tech Regular

Default KO Grand Prix

Hey guys...just thought I'd give a quick update on day 1 at the Ko Grand Prix.

This event is taking place at the Tamiya America facility, host of the Reedy International Race Of Champions. There are 5 heats of modified and most of the top Californian drivers are in attendance.

Team Associated has four drivers at this race using the prototype vehicle. Rick Hohwart, Bob Stellflue (lead engineer for the project), Tommi Torikka (Reedy Electrical Engineer) and myself.

This is my first opportunity to race, tune and work on the vehicle and I can say that I am very impressed. My Factory Team TC4 was AWESOME at this track for the Reedy Race. The prototype has the same handling characteristics, but is much more forgiving and consistent. After some radio adjustments in round 1 of practice, I was immediately turning sub 13-second laps (pretty fast for this track & conditions).

Throughout the next 2 rounds of practice I continued to work with the setup and feel out the car, along with tire testing. As the first round started I made a poor tire choice and was off pace from my first practice run. Round 2 I got my tires better, but made some driving mistakes early in the race that cost me about 6 seconds and pulled off to save the tires. In round 3 I started 8th in the "A" resort and ended up 2nd in the heat behind TQ David Jun (Reedy Brushless).

There are 3 more rounds of practice tomorrow, followed by 1 more qualifiers and triple "A" mains. I'm looking forward to testing some more settings now that I have a day under my belt (no pun intended).

Rick also made a poor tire choice in round 1 and 2, but for round 3 was able to put the car 5th on the grid tearing through the "B" qualifier. He should be able to improve on his time pretty easily tomorrow.

Tommi was sitting 3rd after round 2, but in the re-sort got off to a bad start and had to let the car behind go and just couldn't get the pace back.

Bob continues to test settings and methodically going through tests while us racers are a bit more impatient and look for quick fixes.

From my memory, here is the top 10 so far.

1) David Jun - Tamiya/Reedy Brushless
2) Josh Numan - Tamiya/Checkpoint
3) Brent Thielke - Associated/Reedy Brushless
4) Barry Baker - XRay/Checkpoint
5) Rick Hohwart - Associated/Peak
6) Rod Canare - Tamiya/Orion
7) Tommi Torikka - Associated/Reedy Brushless
8) Jimmy Jacobson - Tamiya/Orion
9) Patrick See - Schumacher/Checkpoint?
10) Steve Weiss (Evicierator) - Hot Bodies/Novak Brushless

For those of you keeping track, that's 4 brushless systems in the main and two in the top 3.

If you're looking to attend a relaxed 2-day event at a kick ass facility, this is your event. Thanks to Tamiya and KO for putting this event on.

...more to come tomorrow...hopefully!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #820
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman

Here is my question for you if them guys are running both classes how can they do good in both classes because the cars will drive so different. Why would you not give someone that runs foam a car and someone that runs rubber a car so they can both do good in the class that they run all the time.
Definitely a valid question, but as a group we decided to go in a different direction. The unique situation at the IIC requires two completely different vehicles for both foam and rubber. With a limited number of prototype vehicles it isn't fair to ask drivers to use one type of car in one class and another type in the other class. Trust me, it wasn't an easy decision, because whatever we decided, it would upset some or all of the drivers.

To answer your other question, look at the names from last year's race. I don't have the results in front of me, but I'm willing to bet at least half the field was in both "A" mains. These guys were able to "do good" in both classes...

Developing a new product is never easy, but with the help and understanding of great engineers and drivers at Associated I know we'll get good results.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #821
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Awesome race coverage Brent!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #822
Tech Regular

Default Ko Grand Prix

Update from day 2...

Well, the Ko Grand Prix is now history. David Jun took home the victory winning the 1st and 3rd main. David used the Reedy Brushless system throughout the event.

Josh Numan finished second and Tommi Torikka was able to come from 7th on the grid to finish 3rd overall with his prototype Associated car equipped with the Reedy brushless system.

Me personally, I qualified 3rd and finished 5th overall.

In the first main I got in to a lot of tangles with other cars, some my fault some not and finished 5th.

In the second main I was running 3rd and hit the kink...for those of you who have raced at Tamiya, know exactly what I'm talking about and how treacherous it can be. I fell back to 5th and ended up racing with Rod Canare for 4th. I was able to get by him down the straight a way and somehow when I entered the sweeper my body tucked and he got back by. There was only 2 laps left and Rod drove great and I wasn't able to get back by.

In the third main, for the first 6 or so laps the top 4 were separated by 3/4 of a second each...Jun, Numan, Thielke & Baker. Barry hit the dreaded kink and I was hanging with Numan. A few driving mistakes on my own cost me a second and I was about 2 seconds behind Josh at the 4-minute mark. Another driving mistake put me on my lid for 4 seconds and Tommi was able to get by for 3rd. Knowing that I had little chance at improving my overall 5th place position, I locked in behind Tommi and followed him to the checkered flag.

Rick ended up 7th overall and had some rough luck in the main events. He was faster today and showed progress with the car.

Most of the racers chose to run Sorex 36R tires. It's generally accepted that the Sorex tires are the best at the Tamiya track and the Tamiya team has a good handle on the tires at their home track. I chose to run only RP tires as it was easiest to compare to previous lap times, much easier to come by and obviously came pre-mounted.

For me, the car was really, really good! Thinking back to the Reedy Race, the fastest 5 minute run by the TQ in open class was 23 5:09 and my fastest time was 23 5:10. At this race, I was able to go 7 seconds faster using the exact same tires (softer wheels), motors, etc. For that run my average lap time was ~13.17 seconds. Needless to say, I was very impressed and even a bit surprised.

Below is a link to my fastest run and the fastest run of the weekend by Rheinard. Not saying that I could of run with him, but I am very encouraged by the lap times.

Thielke Round #3 (Saturday @ ~500p)

Rheinard Round #5 (Sunday @ ~ 900a)

From what I can recall, here's the top 10

1) David Jun - Tamiya/Reedy Brushless -TQ
2) Josh Numan - Tamiya/Checkpoint
3) Tommi Torikka - Associated Prototype/Reedy Brushless
4) Barry Baker - XRay/Checkpoint
5) Brent Thielke - Associated Prototype/Reedy Brushless
6) Rod Canare - Tamiya/Orion
7) Rick Hohwart - Associated Prototype/Orion
8) Jimmy Jacobson - Tamiya/Orion
9) Patrick See - ?
10) Steve Weiss - Hot Bodies/Novak Brushless

In conclusion, I canít wait to get my hands on the new car! I too will relinquish the prototype car to another team driver and most likely wonít get to drive it again until the pre-production version. The durability was great, no broken parts by any of the four cars at the event. The Reedy/LRP brushless system ran great, again no problems over the weekend. Overall I was a bit disappointed by my driving this weekend, but without driving touring car since the Nats in June I couldnít be too hard on myself.

Well, now itís off to the IIC. This will be one of the first times the car has been ran on carpet, so Iím sure it will take some work to get the car up to speed, but I know the guys are up to it. No doubt quite a few of you reading this will also be there. Feel free to stop by the Team Associated pits and take a look at the prototype carÖbut as always, no pictures please.

Last edited by 51; 09-10-2006 at 10:50 PM.
51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

51: Any tentative release dates for the car ? Before x-mas, after x-mas, next year ? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #824
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
51: Any tentative release dates for the car ? Before x-mas, after x-mas, next year ? Thanks.
Honestly I don't know. I'm skeptical to give out any date, for fear it would give the wrong impression. Sorry.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #825
Tech Initiate

Default Great

Good news Brent,

i cant wait to hold this car in my hands:-)

see u
Marcel
BlueSilver is offline   Reply With Quote