R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #8026
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

You can drop all kinds of money on a bearing kit and go thru the bearings just as quickly. Consider bearings an expendable part. I buy a pack of the panther bearings 10 for $10. Replace them as soon as they start feeling a little gritty. Touring cars are EXTREMELY hard in bearings. There are untold amounts of forces being applied to them when you're racing. I always keep at least 8 bearings with me when i'm racing. That way i've got enough to replace all the bearings at each corner if need be.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #8027
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILDRVR View Post
Can a few of you recomend a good bearing kit for the tc5. My stock bearings are slowly going bad and I am considering replacing all of them with a quality kit.

Thanks
Depends how much you wanna spend. http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...earchkit&cat=1
http://www.acerracing.com/products/A...Kit-626-1.html
Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #8028
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILDRVR View Post
Can a few of you recomend a good bearing kit for the tc5. My stock bearings are slowly going bad and I am considering replacing all of them with a quality kit.

Thanks
APS Racing part# 87057, full ceramic set. I have had mine in my car since last March with no issues and no failures.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #8029
Tech Regular

Thanks guys I appreciate it
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #8030
Tech Rookie

Last edited by deadsetchamp; 12-09-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: oops
deadsetchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #8031
Tech Initiate

For the TC5R on asphlat, do you use all 8 of the o-rings / washers, or only the four in the back of the top plate? Also, generally how much do you tighten the scews for the top deck? Thanks!
ravex911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #8032
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

After some testing with my PPD setup plate that eliminates tweak, I found it best to only use the four in the rear to keep tweak out of the chassis. I don't use the o-rings as I have enough grip/flex with the ITF parts, just the countersunk washers. On the setup plate I loosen the bottom and top deck from the bulkheads after pulling the shocks off. Then loosen the shock towers and after I tighten them back up and tighten all the screws from the main chassis to the bulkheads, I apply equal pressure to the shock towers down the centerline and tighten up the top deck starting with the front in a star pattern and then doing the rear 4 with the countersunk washers. No tweak and the rear four have enough play to keep from generating tweak by tightening down the top deck using the machined countersinks in the top plate. This is with all ITF components and a relatively new chassis that is nice and flat.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #8033
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ESC,Motor heat!!

Hi guys, im having a heat problem in my TC5, i have a Mamba max 7700kv combo and i was with my friends in a parking lot yesterday and the temp. was 220 for the ESC and 180 for the motor, im running with 87t spur and 18t pinion, i changed the pinion to a 16t but still gets hot, do i need a fan for the motor and esc, or am i gearing it wrong?? the car was reving up a lot because there was a poor tracktion, would that be the problem?? any help would be great!!

Thanks!!!
Mike
Triton3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #8034
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton3d View Post
Hi guys, im having a heat problem in my TC5, i have a Mamba max 7700kv combo and i was with my friends in a parking lot yesterday and the temp. was 220 for the ESC and 180 for the motor, im running with 87t spur and 18t pinion, i changed the pinion to a 16t but still gets hot, do i need a fan for the motor and esc, or am i gearing it wrong?? the car was reving up a lot because there was a poor tracktion, would that be the problem?? any help would be great!!

Thanks!!!
Mike
I'm running a 7700 in a 007 and your gearing with the 16T pinion is close. The tire spin is not going to help matters, you'll really need to use throttle control with that much power even with good grip.

220 and 180 is toward the top end of what a Mamba can run at, but they will run that hot without issue. Things to try for lowered temp, lowest timing, some punch control 30% or so, reduce drag brake. That should help, a fan shouldn't be necessary.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #8035
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A fan shouldn't be needed but can be a good thing. Keep in mind that you can get fans for both the motor and another one for the ESC. The clip on's for the motors are pretty cheap, like $10 or so. Cheap investment. Keep the same gearing and run a fan on the motor.

Just an opinion though.

And like Verndog said, try those adjustments. It sounds like you have more friction type heat with over reving the motor if it's that low of traction.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #8036
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Triton: You also might want to check and make sure that your drivetrain is completely free. Check for worn bearings, overly tight belts, etc, etc

Race Videos: http://www.youtube.com/TrackMasterTim
TimNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #8037
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Brother View Post
Hi everyone.

Raced the car at Carpet Wars today here in the UK. Had a great days racing, qualified 2nd in the 13.5 class. Car was great by the end, had a good start to the final and was leading until I made a stupid mistake and took off a front corner

Started off three days ago on Josh's setup he posted here. Went round in a big circle through testing at my track on the Friday night, testing at the venue on the Saturday and through race day on Sunday. Basically changes were to the rear roll centre, rear roll bar, bodyshell as well as playing with a spool. Anyway, setup I ran in the final was almost 100% back where I had started! Tires were the Xenon 28's. Additive was Jack the Gripper with no warmers.

Thats great to hear Oli..........I'm glad the setup worked for you.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #8038
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here is somthing I hope you guys can help with.

Ok, Chasiss is balanced left/right perfectly. Spring collars are exactly the same left/right. Drop is perfect. Put it on a tweak board and it's all set BUT.....when I check ride height the right side of the car is .5mm higher ?!?!?!?!?!

Any idea's ?

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #8039
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

The spring collars most of the time won't be the same. Check to see if one shock has more rebound then the other. Most when I set ride height my collars are not the same left to right, one is always slightly higher or lower than the other.
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #8040
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Here is somthing I hope you guys can help with.

Ok, Chasiss is balanced left/right perfectly. Spring collars are exactly the same left/right. Drop is perfect. Put it on a tweak board and it's all set BUT.....when I check ride height the right side of the car is .5mm higher ?!?!?!?!?!

Any idea's ?

DK
ride height is more important than spring collars being even thats y there adjustable so if ur balanced side to side then just set ur ride heigth and u should b fine
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote