R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #7726
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
Ok I set the diff like the book says. How do you set your diff?
This is kind of hard to describe but I will try...

I dont believe in the "tighten the diff completely and then back it off a certain amount of turns" technique...I think when you tighten a diff completely, the carbide balls put pot marks in the rings...

After running pancars forever you learn to manually feel how tight to set a diff by holding the tires and forcing the diff to slip a little with your hand on the gear...I estimate in my mind how much force it will take for a motor to make the diff slip and set the diff a little tighter than that...

When building a diff I tighten it down till there is just a little pressure on the balls, then I work the diff a little, then tighten a little more...I keep repeating the process till I get to a point when the tightness is in the ballpark...then I slide a 050 allen driver in each outdrive and force the diff to slip a little to feel the tightness...then I keep working and tightening the diff till I feel it is right...then I put it in the car and run it 2 minutes without pulling full throttle...then adjust till it is perfect...

I hope this was understandable and will help you....

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts

Last edited by Maybell; 10-28-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #7727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know this has been asked before but what's a good starting point for rubber on carpet with a 17.5, gearing wise? It will be 48 pitch. Setting it up for a buddy but I run 13.5 wit 64 pitch. Would 5.5 be a good place to aim for?
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #7728
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

17.5 should be more like 3.5 ~ 4.0 more like 3.8......
http://stevejavorsky.zenfolio.com
More and More its BEARDMORE !!!!!!! (Thanks Todd)
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #7729
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default tc5

im still a newbie to RC but with reference to the diff questions i have probably only rebuilt my diff 4 times but the first couple i rushed it not cleaning all the old grease out of it etc etc but the last couple of times i took my time and used team associated grease and just generally was very patient when building it and the dfference was amazing to say the least!!!!
treemagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #7730
Tech Initiate

@ guietstorm

Steering position c is self made...in the middle of a+b little more forward.
Bulkheads are cut to gain more flex..so you dont need the o rings...
I will post some Pic s later
Mr.Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #7731
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I know this has been asked before but what's a good starting point for rubber on carpet with a 17.5, gearing wise? It will be 48 pitch. Setting it up for a buddy but I run 13.5 wit 64 pitch. Would 5.5 be a good place to aim for?
I have mine at 4.17 with the Orion Vortex 17.5, very quick in the infield and holds it own on the 80' straight. Laptimes are the same as my PHI with the same FDR and motor, (10.8's-11.2's).
Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #7732
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
It depends on the motor and speedo.

I ran my trinity duo 17.5 at 4.44 on a 100 x 50 track with the lrp speedo.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #7733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
It depends on the motor and speedo.

I ran my trinity duo 17.5 at 4.44 on a 100 x 50 track with the lrp speedo.

Uh-Oh!, looks like the Dr. is gonna hand out some whoopins this weekend
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #7734
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
Uh-Oh!, looks like the Dr. is gonna hand out some whoopins this weekend
Sorry Eric.....I won't even be there.

I was just testing motors and trying to find a good ratio to recommend.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #7735
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

If you really want a smooth diff check out this Website. I installed the rings and balls in my TC5 and followed the instructions supplied for breaking in the diff.
This produced the smoothest diff I have ever felt. And then even after a whole nights racing in modified on High Grip carpet the diff was still very smooth, certainly still better than a fresh standard diff built to the instructions.
I will only use BFast RC's products for my diffs from now on.
I know this sounds like a commercial for the guy(Fred) but the product is that good and I have no association with him what so ever and live on the other side of the world.
http://www.bfastrc.com/index.html
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #7736
Tech Initiate

Not the best Pic...but you can see the cuten rear and front Bulkhead+new Steering block position.

Lars
Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #7737
Tech Initiate

Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #7738
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie with questions about shocks

I bought a slightly used TC5. I was changing the springs on the shocks & noticed the shocks all feel different. Some don't hardly spring back at all, while another comes back 100%. I've tryed removing the big foam pad & refilling with oil, but they are still different. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I've also noticed one seems to have white milky oil like it has tons of very tiny bubbles. Are they aftermarket parts that are better than the standard ones?

Thanks for any help anyone can give a first time guy!
DannoTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #7739
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoTC5 View Post
I bought a slightly used TC5. I was changing the springs on the shocks & noticed the shocks all feel different. Some don't hardly spring back at all, while another comes back 100%. I've tryed removing the big foam pad & refilling with oil, but they are still different. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I've also noticed one seems to have white milky oil like it has tons of very tiny bubbles. Are they aftermarket parts that are better than the standard ones?

Thanks for any help anyone can give a first time guy!

Sounds like you need to rebuild all of the shocks. New bladders, new orings, new oil. Stock shocks are just fine...no need to replace them.

Setting rebound (the amount the shaft comes out when you release it) in shocks takes some practice.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #7740
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybell View Post
This is kind of hard to describe but I will try...

I dont believe in the "tighten the diff completely and then back it off a certain amount of turns" technique...I think when you tighten a diff completely, the carbide balls put pot marks in the rings...

After running pancars forever you learn to manually feel how tight to set a diff by holding the tires and forcing the diff to slip a little with your hand on the gear...I estimate in my mind how much force it will take for a motor to make the diff slip and set the diff a little tighter than that...

When building a diff I tighten it down till there is just a little pressure on the balls, then I work the diff a little, then tighten a little more...I keep repeating the process till I get to a point when the tightness is in the ballpark...then I slide a 050 allen driver in each outdrive and force the diff to slip a little to feel the tightness...then I keep working and tightening the diff till I feel it is right...then I put it in the car and run it 2 minutes without pulling full throttle...then adjust till it is perfect...

I hope this was understandable and will help you....
Makes since to me. Will follow your precedure. Thanks for the info.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote