R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #7456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

http://www.nexusracing.com/newsdesk_...newsdesk_id=60

still the best way to mount them IMO. Of course, ignore the first half and skip down to "tip 1"
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #7457
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie10 View Post
How is the hard cased lipo such as trak power or reedy insalled so it doesnt fall out. I can see the orions working because of the bottom is contoured like a 6 cell pack?
Forget the humps keeping your battery in with the Orions. Your better off sanding them off and using a baseplate. We carry a 3oz baseweight in stainless steel for $22.00 that several of the AE team members are running. You'll need a small amount of side weights on the outside of the pack that will also help you use less total weight to balance being outside the battery.

http://www.ppdbillet.com/RC_accessories.html
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #7458
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schoenauer View Post
I just received my LiPo weight from Manutech. The machine work is impressive. Excelent fit in the chassis. Chris Doerr has been good to buy from. Link to his site. Chris Doerr [cwdoerr@yahoo.com]
Thanks John Schoenauer
john... thanks for the feedback, and glad that you like it! ... cdee
cdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #7459
Tech Fanatic

Do you guys use tape or the stock battery strap to hold down LIPO's? The Strap seems very tight when I used it and on one occasion the battery fell out.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #7460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

The strap doesnt work well at all, and it can cause chassis tweak when tightened down. I have been using the diggity lipo brace and CF strap, and both my Checkpoint 5400 lipos have shifted and the cases cut by the belt. I will be using tape instead....
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #7461
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
The strap doesnt work well at all, and it can cause chassis tweak when tightened down. I have been using the diggity lipo brace and CF strap, and both my Checkpoint 5400 lipos have shifted and the cases cut by the belt. I will be using tape instead....
I have both and have had neither of those problems. You have to make sure you shim up the diggity holder and strap holders. I think its 1.5MM but I would need to double check. The battery won't shift and you won't get tweak in your chassis (I have the PPD Tweak Plate and have checked on there).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #7462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Good quality tape is the only way to go...
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #7463
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The batttery strap can be used but it must be set correctly as posted. There are those that claim tape only, and it likely is the safer alternative, especially if the strap isn't set correctly.

The strap must be straight, not at all bowed when you tighten. This means just touching or just off the top of battery. Once you induce bow into the strap, it will bow further on impact and risk loosing batteries, especially Nimh's. I've hit the wall 4ft off the ground off a dot at full speed and driven my TC5 away (using strap)...and finished the race.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #7464
Tech Elite

Orbital, I shimmed the diggity brace as well since I am using the PPD Lipo weights. Verndog, I have had quite a few hits as well where all is fine, still, there are times when the battery jumps the lipo brace. I have found that with or without the Diggity brace, my battery strap does not line up with the thumbscrews. This also was causing some tweak problems.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #7465
Tech Champion

Quote:
Orbital, I shimmed the diggity brace as well since I am using the PPD Lipo weights. Verndog, I have had quite a few hits as well where all is fine, still, there are times when the battery jumps the lipo brace. I have found that with or without the Diggity brace, my battery strap does not line up with the thumbscrews. This also was causing some tweak problems.
Im using the PPD lipo weights as well. My diggity holder is shimmed high enough that I can't imagine a scenario where it could jump out. Even if I wasn't running the battery strap it would likely stay in the car. I will try to post pictures of my setup. Sounds like I have everything you do (Diggity, PPD base weight, Checkpoint Battery (technically I have the Trakpower Version)).
Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #7466
Tech Fanatic

Well I am also using the PDD weights. I think that my problem was that the guy I bought them from taped the plate to the chassis, when I think it should be on the LIPO. Am I correct? If so I need another since I have two batteries.

I'm actually racing the M18B this week because I blew my ESC for the TC5. Does anyone know how I send an LRP speed control for a repair?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #7467
Tech Champion

If you are using the PPD weight and not using the Diggity brace then the weight should be attached to the battery. If you use the diggity brace then the weight can be attached to the chassis. Either way you need to make sure the strap is shimmed property. If should barely touch the battery or sit slightly above the battery. It just keeps it from falling out if the car were to turn upside down. It doesn't really hold it in the car.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #7468
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

wrap tape around the battery strap and lipo-taping them as one unit-never fails or comes loose
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #7469
Tech Elite

Hide- Here you go: Link
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #7470
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hide- Here you go: Link
I bought it from Amainhobbies from the UK. Do you think they would let me send it from here?