R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #7396
Tech Adept

I raced my TC5R for the first time on the weekend with the box set up minus the swaybars.

It was really loose in the rear exiting the corners under power any ideas what I could do to fix.

Other than that I have to get used to how quiet it is compared to the FT TC4.

Cheers
Power by Feral
Sanwa MX-3 FHSS
NOZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #7397
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOZ69 View Post
I raced my TC5R for the first time on the weekend with the box set up minus the swaybars.

It was really loose in the rear exiting the corners under power any ideas what I could do to fix.

Other than that I have to get used to how quiet it is compared to the FT TC4.

Cheers
make sure your front is engaged properly and that you are not running a 2 wheel drive. so check your diff cause if its the slipper they do sometimes loosen up. and if thats not your problem try some more toe in on the rear you should aim for between 2.5 to 3.5 degrees for rubber!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #7398
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
make sure your front is engaged properly and that you are not running a 2 wheel drive. so check your diff cause if its the slipper they do sometimes loosen up. and if thats not your problem try some more toe in on the rear you should aim for between 2.5 to 3.5 degrees for rubber!
Thanks decibels,

I'm running the diff (not the slipper) in the front & the rear diff seems looser than the front..I too had the probs the rear diff lock nut over tightening it.

Rear toe is 3 degrees.

Cheers
Power by Feral
Sanwa MX-3 FHSS
NOZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #7399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Side View Post
What are some good upgrades for the TC5. I have aluminum c hubs and steering spindles. Diggity Lipo tray. Are there some other good pieces out there. Someone turned me on to exotic (it think) lower bearing carriers for spur. Just curious to know what else is out there.

What springs work on TC5?
Any one?
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #7400
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Side View Post
What are some good upgrades for the TC5. I have aluminum c hubs and steering spindles. Diggity Lipo tray. Are there some other good pieces out there. Someone turned me on to exotic (it think) lower bearing carriers for spur. Just curious to know what else is out there.

What springs work on TC5?
I will start with the easy question first, springs. You obviously can use the Associated springs. Some of the older Losi touring springs, not the 10mm ones will work as well (note I have not tried the 10mm Losi springs so they might work). It seems that shocks are getting to be almost all the same size so probably most springs from other manufacturers will work. If you do use the Associated springs it will be easier to compare setup's as most of them posted here use them.

As for Aluminum pieces, Diggity, Integy, and TiRacing make different parts for the car. Although I haven't seen any myself I can't comment on the quality.

From what Rick H. has said on the boards is that you would benefit from having a stronger caster blocks.

People have mentioned about breaking the steering knuckles but I myself haven't broken any. If you get a P-Dub front bumper that should reduce the risk of breakage of any part on the front end.

I tried the Exotek pieces and found that the pair I got required some work to get the assembly to spin like I wanted it. With myself having little patience that day I put the stock pieces back in.

Integy also makes some rear hub carriers and the Steering Servo Saver piece but I have no comment on them because I haven't seen or used them.

As with anything aluminum, it can bend in crashes or it could cause something else to fail. What you decide is up to you but I have found the stock pieces to work just fine for myself and for my son who is just learning how to drive on a track.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #7401
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There aren't any required upgrades to have a competitive car. If you want aluminum parts you can get them from Integy now but I don't see why you would want to. Exotek does make the layshaft bearing holders but with the newer cam holders I get plenty of options for belt tension.

If you want to spend the money - an upgraded set of bearings is nice. If you are running LiPo I highly recommend the PPD Billet weight balast system to balance your car. The P-Dub bumper is nice since it's wider and prevents some breaks as well.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #7402
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
There aren't any required upgrades to have a competitive car. If you want aluminum parts you can get them from Integy now but I don't see why you would want to. Exotek does make the layshaft bearing holders but with the newer cam holders I get plenty of options for belt tension.
I believe some guys are using the alu. rear hub carreirs so that they get extra holes to tune the camber link with.
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #7403
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The p-dub bumper is definately worth the money if you can find one. They are getting hard to find last time I looked. The yokomo BD belt helps free up the drivetrain as well as APS ceramic bearings (I tried Acers ceramic bearings and they weren't very good).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #7404
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
The p-dub bumper is definately worth the money if you can find one. They are getting hard to find last time I looked. The yokomo BD belt helps free up the drivetrain as well as APS ceramic bearings (I tried Acers ceramic bearings and they weren't very good).

What's wrong with the Acer ceramic bearings??

Dave
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #7405
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
it lifts both (but never rolls), going into slow corners (off power).
Try thicker oil/harder springs up front.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #7406
Tech Regular

P-dub bumper are a little harder to find now but Parma has some stiff bumper and they are pretty much the same material. Part number is #8032

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #7407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Keven, what bumper are you running?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #7408
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_DAVE4 View Post
What's wrong with the Acer ceramic bearings??

Dave
they don't spin much better then the stock. 2 of them didn't spin well at all. Wrote them about it and they said to run them and hope they break in. They never did. Got the aps and they were 10x better. The drivetrain was much more free.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #7409
Tech Regular

I run the parma bumper !

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #7410
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Who supplies APS bearings?
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote