R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #7261
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
tamiya one is no good go to precision rc and look at the jade ones they are about 10 dollars each and are ceramic! these are the best i have seen or used for the price!!! my brother swears by them for mod!!
What makes you say they are no good? My diff is silky smooth and last forever. And its not Jade is JAAD which pretty much answers my first question.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #7262
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
What makes you say they are no good? My diff is silky smooth and last forever. And its not Jade is JAAD which pretty much answers my first question.
dont get me wrong im not having a dig at you its just that me and my brother went from the tamiya ones in a 415 and a scythe and went to the jaad (sorry i got the spelling wrong) and it was a monumental difference! but the biggest difference is how tight you can do up the diff while still being super free which matters in modified! and if you run stock then you can losen it up a touch and it will be free for prob 2 or 3 race meets before needing to be rebuilt! which is important to most people! and the reason yours will still be free is because as far as im concerned associated has the best diffs which means that you could prob put in a very average thrust and it would still be good! but jaad is tried and tested by us and holds up better but thats my opinion so anyways have fun!!!!!!!!!!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #7263
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You may have been building your diff wrong then. Im not saying the JAAD is bad (they have great products) but the Tamiya is fantastic as well. My diff is fully tightened but spins excellent. It doesn't require a rebuilt for me. Thats running 10.5 (not quite modified).

Either way, an upgrade over the TC5 thrust and with the longer HPI screw much easier to build.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #7264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

looking for some help with droop....... how much and where do you measure it from.... I am going to be using a ride height gauge as I dont have a droop gauge yet......

but how much droop for a starting point for a low to medium bite carpet with rubber tires..... I know it is not the best way to measure but take the ride height then lift the tires off and measure ride height again?

thanks
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #7265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJa View Post
looking for some help with droop....... how much and where do you measure it from.... I am going to be using a ride height gauge as I dont have a droop gauge yet......

but how much droop for a starting point for a low to medium bite carpet with rubber tires..... I know it is not the best way to measure but take the ride height then lift the tires off and measure ride height again?

thanks
Measuring droop over RH is a fine way to measure it. Not the most accurate but seems to work just fine. For medium I would say 2-2.5mm front and rear would be a good place to start.

Set your ride height front and rear.
Then lift the rear of the car while keeping both rear tires on the surface until the droop screws hit the chassis and measure again. That difference is your droop/up travel. Measure both sides to be sure that they are as even as possible then do the same in the front. For ease I always take my front bumper off when adjusting the front.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #7266
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Measuring droop over RH is a fine way to measure it. Not the most accurate but seems to work just fine. For medium I would say 2-2.5mm front and rear would be a good place to start.

Set your ride height front and rear.
Then lift the rear of the car while keeping both rear tires on the surface until the droop screws hit the chassis and measure again. That difference is your droop/up travel. Measure both sides to be sure that they are as even as possible then do the same in the front. For ease I always take my front bumper off when adjusting the front.
ok so is that 2mm front and 2.5mm rear or 2 or 2.5 front and rear? also do I measure right under the a-arm parallel with the wheels ? because you will get different measurements depending on where you measure.

Thanks

this helps alot.....
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #7267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
ok so is that 2mm front and 2.5mm rear or 2 or 2.5 front and rear? also do I measure right under the a-arm parallel with the wheels ? because you will get different measurements depending on where you measure.

Thanks

this helps alot.....
I would run 2mm front and rear to start.

I measure under the Chassis on both the right and left side of the chassis.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #7268
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overflow View Post
pulls to one side? is all the tweak out of the car? a tweaked car could cause a pull to one side
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_DAVE4 View Post
Guys, can you help me with a stearing problem with my new TC5.

I am running the slipper spool up front and a diff in the rear and when I hit the throttle I get a stearing pull from the belt torque. Currently running a Novak 13.5 geared at 5.14 FDR.

Is this normal or is there a way to reduce this effect. Belts are not overly tight, setup is close to stock.

This is my first belt drive car so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Thanks

I managed to track down the issue. There is some slop between the hex bolt on the servo saver tube and the steering bell crank. The hex does not fit snug. I resolved the issue by using epoxy to snug up the fit between the two. This eliminated any pull I was having during full power.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #7269
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kool tip!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #7270
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks

this helps alot.....
this is how i measure the droop on tc as well.screw the droop screws flush inside the arm.all 4 corners.get your ride height front and rear.say if you were racing rubber tire then say it would be 5mm droop front and rear...so then if you run 2mm of droop front and rear you set the chassi on the 7mm ride height gage.screw the droop screw down untill the tire lifts off the table.back it back down untill the tire rests on the table...do the same on the other side and the rear....just make sure that your shocks are the same lengths.and that you use the ride height gage at the same area.
if i can help any other way pm me.

i used a losi type-r car last year...but i am really considering of trying the tc5r...so thats why i was checking in on the forum.

hope this info helps.

matt
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #7271
Tech Rookie

Default new to onroad

what would be best servo to use tc5r
meldot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #7272
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

i have the futaba s9452 digital in mine. very nice
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #7273
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to scottk

futaba bls 451
scottk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #7274
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

hey guys. now that indoor season has arrived im gonna set my tc5 up for 13.5 rubber carpet. i have the itf top deck i was running on asphalt. should i put the itf chassis on as well or will that be too flexy for carpet. if i put the chassis on my car will be a tc5r since i have all the other options. thanx
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #7275
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
hey guys. now that indoor season has arrived im gonna set my tc5 up for 13.5 rubber carpet. i have the itf top deck i was running on asphalt. should i put the itf chassis on as well or will that be too flexy for carpet. if i put the chassis on my car will be a tc5r since i have all the other options. thanx
The Pro setups on the AE site for rubber/carpet are using the ITF chassis...and at those major races the grip is very high...

So I would start with the ITF chassis and go from there...

Maybe try the Hohwart setup from the 2008 IIC...it is on the AE site...

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote