R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #5971
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Any tips for keeping the CVD blades from breaking and eating my outdrives or would I be better off with a 3rd party spool that doesnt require them (and going back to the carbon outdrives in the rear?).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #5972
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Yeah Im going to get one here shortly, I was in the middle of of putting the TC5 Rubber kit setup on, but I'm going back to the RC setup. As of right now Im on a medium grip surface, semi-prepped parking lot so some of the steering is a bit much for us. How did you get 5 degrees when using the 6 degree blocks?
Using a #2 and #3 suspension mount angles the entire suspension assembly by one degree, reducing your caster by this amount. So When you run the 4 degree blocks you are actually riunning 3 degrees caster. Six degree blocks give you 5 degrees caster, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Any tips for keeping the CVD blades from breaking and eating my outdrives or would I be better off with a 3rd party spool that doesnt require them (and going back to the carbon outdrives in the rear?).
TC5 R and F will come with what we call a "slipper spool" option. This is a standard differential that can be transformed into a sppol by replacing the diff rings with slipper spool pads (they look like mini off-road slipper pads) and removing the the main diff balls and the thrust diff balls. The resulting unit, when tightened completely, will not slip, but will give just enough so that the blades do not break.

The slipper spool pads are part #31173 and are in stock. When using these, the diff nut must be set very tight with loctite to be sure it does not loosen.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #5973
Tech Champion

Thanks Rick! Your support is awesome.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #5974
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Using a #2 and #3 suspension mount angles the entire suspension assembly by one degree, reducing your caster by this amount. So When you run the 4 degree blocks you are actually riunning 3 degrees caster. Six degree blocks give you 5 degrees caster, etc.

Ahh ok, I think Ryan runs 3s all around, so I guess he runs 5 total as well. Going to your changes, how did that affect the car?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #5975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Have the new TC5 kits shipped yet? I'm curious when they will be showing up hobby shops.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #5976
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ahh ok, I think Ryan runs 3s all around, so I guess he runs 5 total as well. Going to your changes, how did that affect the car?
Six degree caster blocks gave the car more steering for sure. But going to the Speed body made the biggest change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Have the new TC5 kits shipped yet? I'm curious when they will be showing up hobby shops.

Thanks
They have not yet been shipped and i am ot sure when they will. I think the project is on schedule though.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #5977
Tech Elite

I have a question about the rear hubs.............if you put a 2mm shim on the arm mount and use a 1deg hub you get 3, but what if you ran a 3mm shim on the arm and a 0 deg hub to get 3? Is there any difference between the two or just different ways to get the same result?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #5978
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to bgolat Send a message via AIM to bgolat Send a message via Yahoo to bgolat

I am curious about belt tension, what effects will it have on the car for example having a looser front belt and tight rear belt or vice versa?
bgolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #5979
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a question about the rear hubs.............if you put a 2mm shim on the arm mount and use a 1deg hub you get 3, but what if you ran a 3mm shim on the arm and a 0 deg hub to get 3? Is there any difference between the two or just different ways to get the same result?
Good question, have always wondered that.

[HOTBODIES] [SPEED PASSION]
---------------------------------------------------------
overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #5980
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

With carpet, Brian Jucha (team AE) told me that adding toe at the hub would make the car more aggressive. I have tried this, and I feel the same way. I think having the arms straighter, by virtue of less toe at the hinge pin, makes the weight dump onto the nose more. The opposite is also true when running all the toe at the hinge pin. Most of the rubber setups I have looked at have all hinge pin toe in.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #5981
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have noticed that the new rubber and foam cam holders have more adjustments for the belt tension then the old cam holders, is this for a reason???
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #5982
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Most of the rubber setups I have looked at have all hinge pin toe in.
So should you use the hubs and not use the shims except for tweaking the setup slightly??
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #5983
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish317 View Post
So should you use the hubs and not use the shims except for tweaking the setup slightly??
I think opposite, run 0* hubs and run shims at the bulkhead.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #5984
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgolat View Post
I am curious about belt tension, what effects will it have on the car for example having a looser front belt and tight rear belt or vice versa?
From my testing, basicly a tighter belt will help transfer power right out of the hole and a loser belt would run better on top. Small track tighter belt, bigger track loser belt. I run them so theres only a little drag when turning the wheels by hand and they dont skip, helps with straitaways and smooth out the bottom end.

An easyer way to under stand rear toe is, its more effective at the arm then the hub.
3 deg on the arm doesnt rotate enough
2.5 degs it rotates to much
2 deg on arm and 1 deg on hub, right in the middle.

Clear as mud ?

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #5985
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
From my testing, basicly a tighter belt will help transfer power right out of the hole and a loser belt would run better on top. Small track tighter belt, bigger track loser belt. I run them so theres only a little drag when turning the wheels by hand and they dont skip, helps with straitaways and smooth out the bottom end.

An easyer way to under stand rear toe is, its more effective at the arm then the hub.
3 deg on the arm doesnt rotate enough
2.5 degs it rotates to much
2 deg on arm and 1 deg on hub, right in the middle.

Clear as mud ?

DK
So basically with 2* arm and 1* hub you will have more turn in and less off compared to just 3* at the arm?