Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Custom Works Dominator; FT TC3 Trans Am
t4mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #5597
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mania View Post
Thanks man.

James I see you in here. I saw you at discount today, you racing tomorrow?
Mitch P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #5598
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Needed asap stock/foam TC5 (set up)

Looking for a real good set for my AE TC5 for indoor foam at fastcats.Car has 100 tooth 64 p spur and spool front diff .
the car was run as rubber outdoor before I got it so please any help what do real fast too as I need this for the stock/foam class this Sunday march 30 .Everything posted on the web are mainly rubber tire set ups so this is why I am I need . Any threads or personal set up will help out surely .
Thanks in advance
Matt R
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #5599
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Looking for a real good set for my AE TC5 for indoor foam at fastcats.Car has 100 tooth 64 p spur and spool front diff .
the car was run as rubber outdoor before I got it so please any help what do real fast too as I need this for the stock/foam class this Sunday march 30 .Everything posted on the web are mainly rubber tire set ups so this is why I am I need . Any threads or personal set up will help out surely .
Thanks in advance
Matt R
Look here, you can have Juho Levanen and Kevin Herbert @ 2008 Snowbirds as well as Craig Drescher, Juho Levanen, Rick Hohwart and Joel Myberg @ 2007 Snowbirds. There is also one @ Novak Race with foam tires.
Arn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #5600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi guys.

I was thinking about trading my xray for a tc5. I talked to a guy last night that might be up for it.

Now normally I wouldnt think twice but, EVERYBODY that I talk to says dont do it there junk. even the guy who owns it says dont do it. Not that I believe most of the guys I talk to when it comes to cars and setup but, there is an over wellming amount of people that say this. Plus it dont help that there not really showing to well at the big race's, from what little i have looked anyway.

I have heard about the flexable plastic arms and what is happing. Have also seen the new hard arms and am thinking that these will fix that problem. Yes I have seen the ITF chassis with the orings below the upper plate but, my xray is a 007 foam car running rubber with the 4mm chassis and stock upper plate with out a problem so I dont think a new chassis plate is in order.

So......What is wrong with this car? Is it just the issues I have listed or is there more that I dont know about?

Thanks for any help.
DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #5601
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Hi guys.

So......What is wrong with this car? Is it just the issues I have listed or is there more that I dont know about?

Thanks for any help.
DK
Nothing wrong with the car IMO. The hard arms do help get more consistant laps and help accept changes to setup better. The main issue IMO is they take some trial and error to dial in to your track, conditions, and style. Most of the guys that I know that got rid of theirs, just didn't spend the time to improve the car.

That said, I just bought a T2 007 to run on carpet. If I could have written off another TC5 I would have bought a second..but the switch let me do that (I'll run TC5 asphalt, 007 carpet). The 007 is a bit better out of the box, as well it should be with its history, and cost. At this point I still like my TC5 better...but to be fair the 007 I'm just starting with. They are both good.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #5602
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been running the TC5 with a 19t, foams on carpet since Jan.
The car was running great with the stock arms. At the regional race we hosted I tried the hard arms after getting the base with the stock ones. The car ran great still. In fact the car is faster than the driver. A TC5 won the regional in the 19t foam class. I think the car runs great. I use the a set up from the Novak race that RBOK tweeked from Jucha (sp?).
Great car.
God Bless
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #5603
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Since the search is not working....

Any one have a better motor mount, as in more adjustment?

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #5604
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any tricks to getting this aluminum diff kit together? I've compressed the spring and for the life of me can't get the 2 halves together!!!

I don't want to force them.

It's like the diff bolt should be an 1/8" longer!
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #5605
Tech Fanatic

its hard to get it started for sure. I had to push down on the diff nut last time with another wrench to get it to grab
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5606
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Getting the nut in that plastic piece can be a pain in the rear. I had to push mine down inside of it in order to get it to grab. The other option would be to leave it disassembled and start to thread the bolt to the nut and then pull on the nut. This would help seat it.

Good luck!
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #5607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So basicly it IS a good car, you just have to know how to setup a car in the first place?

Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the repleys guys.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #5608
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Most of the guys that I know that got rid of theirs, just didn't spend the time to improve the car.
This is the same situation at the club that i race at. 90% used to run TC5 but most got rid of them before they could dial it in switching to either xray or tamiya. However, the few TC5s that are left do most of the winning even against 008's.
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #5609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggalowmo View Post
This is the same situation at the club that i race at. 90% used to run TC5 but most got rid of them before they could dial it in switching to either xray or tamiya. However, the few TC5s that are left do most of the winning even against 008's.
I know this is going to upset a lot of people but what can you do,
Some switch cars at the club level more often than their clothes. Seriously, its sad because if they had setup difficulties with one brand its not going to be better just because they switch brands. It takes time to learn how to be a good mechanic just like it takes time to become a good driver. Think about how little that comes up though during conversations and discussions.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #5610
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Some switch cars at the club level more often than their clothes. Seriously, its sad because if they had setup difficulties with one brand its not going to be better just because they switch brands.
While I agree that people due switch cars like socks, there is some method to the madness. Some cars do suit different drivers better as each car has its' own "character", and level of support in various locations. Some are aggressive and edgy, while others are more mellow, and each suits a different type of driver. In my opinion, and those of the other TC5 drivers in our area, the TC5 is a fast, but on the edge car, much like AEs' off road cars. It can definitely bite, and does not seem to have a wide "set-up tolerance" like some of the other cars.

While I have been racing touring since the TA01 days, my breadth of cars is somewhat limited, but they have each had their strengths and weaknesses. My own anecdotal evidence is the TC5 Vs. Type R. I consider myself an above average mechanic, and club driver, but I could never get the TC5 to have that "tossable" feel that I like. And lordy, did I try everything, from the mundane to the outright wacky!

After eight weeks I threw a used Type R together at the track and I was back in the top three from round 1, and was thoroughly trounced by a TC5. I feel personal preference does, and should play a role in a car choice. Obviously the car works, but "it's not you, it's me......"

What does all this really mean? All are good cars, but not all cars are good for everyone.

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote