R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #5071
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

BTW Kraig may be able to fill you in on the good rubber tire setups, as he was very fast in 10.5 rubber. Beavis, too

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #5072
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

rob i believe jucha was running full hard parts on his car.

bob brought hard arms, steering knuckles, caster blocks and rear hubs.

Hopefully all the hard parts are in and not just the arms.

Just like rob said everyone who ran a TC5 including rob cars looked awesome. The TC5 carries unbelieveable corner speed
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #5073
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So are we going to get one of those deals like AE did with the RC8 on the new parts for the TC5 for the people who already have one?

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #5074
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

What was wrong with the RC8 parts? If there was something wrong with the material such as a manufacturing defect then who knows. These are more of an option/tuning part.

Rob or Wallstreet, are you guys going to try the Losi pistons in your shocks for rubber? Just curious to see what kind of difference they make.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #5075
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon madness View Post
So are we going to get one of those deals like AE did with the RC8 on the new parts for the TC5 for the people who already have one?
consider that with the rc8, the newer parts were to help with durability and functionality. With these newer parts, they are just made to suit one type of surface better. The original parts are not "wrong", and are better suited for rubber tire racing. This isn't a "running change" like the RC8, but more so a tuning option if needed.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #5076
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
consider that with the rc8, the newer parts were to help with durability and functionality. With these newer parts, they are just made to suit one type of surface better. The original parts are not "wrong", and are better suited for rubber tire racing. This isn't a "running change" like the RC8, but more so a tuning option if needed.
it would still be nice though
____ |_________________ |_| ____|
____ |_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|

HOP ON BOARD!!
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #5077
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dave W.
I bought this TC5 lightly used and I went through the whole car and rebuilt the diffs, checked the shocks and changed the oil and made sure everything worked well. I have a queston about the diff rebuild. Do the diffs break in like the old TC3-4 ones that had to be tightened after a battery pack? Because as far as I could tell from the " no info in the manual " and rechecking them myself they did not loosen much at all.
I have in one weekend made more progress with the TC5 than I ever did with the TC4. I used Juho's Cleveland set up with a few changes. I softened it up a bit because our carpet does not have the traction that the big events get. I went with losi 45wt., # 2 pistons and copper springs in front and 40wt., #2 pistons and blue springs in rear. I could not get the camber link 4 postion to work in front with out the tie rod bottoming out the ball cup and binding the front suspension. The car handled better than my one year lay off could handle. I think it has the potential to be very fast. I wish we had a stock touring class I could run it in, but I did alright in the 19t.
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #5078
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Chances are that the spring has been compressed unless you used a new one. If you used new pieces I would check them after a couple of runs just to make sure. It is easy to do, just hold the spur and the tires and try and turn. If it slips you know you have to tighten it up. I now set my plastic diff's at 1/8 of a turn and they feel fine.

If it feels gritty then I would start looking at the diff halves as you may have slipped a ring. This happened to me last weekend when running a loose diff with a 10.5.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #5079
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

<--waiting a little longer to get a Tc5.

I want these few little bugs to be worked out before i get one. My Tc4 is doing well locally with rubber tires on carpet. Im actually swapping it all to the Tc3 tub with the Tc4 arms/shock towers/camber mounts intact. The arms mount up with modded Tc3 hingepin mounts to accepts the Tc4 arms and modded Tc4 pins. The Tc4 tub is still twisting too much for the grip we have on the carpet... hopefully this will get me by till AE gets all of the running changes in line for the Tc5.

JSaves- Im glad you got a car that inspires confidence. Something ill handling and inconsistent definitely slows progress. Its nice to see the good results of the Tc5, and all of the positive feedback here too. Im looking forward to a new season behind the wheel with a car ill hopefully be happy with.

Im looking at batteries... do i get 4600's or what??? So much has changed. Do they fit the Tc5 with no modification too?? Thanx...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #5080
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dave W.
I bought the EP 4600's and they fit with no problem at all. I think the 4200's and 4600's are the same size. They both fit the TC5. Plus you can probably run two runs with the 4600's or almost.
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #5081
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
rob i believe jucha was running full hard parts on his car.

bob brought hard arms, steering knuckles, caster blocks and rear hubs.

Hopefully all the hard parts are in and not just the arms.

Just like rob said everyone who ran a TC5 including rob cars looked awesome. The TC5 carries unbelieveable corner speed

not positive, but while we were at dinner sunday night, i talked with Bob Stellflue for a bit and he said that Jucha's car was straight outta the box as far as components... flexy parts and all. ill give him credit, his car looked great all week!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #5082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

jucha was running the hard parts, i know while he was practicing before the novak race he was running the hard arms and caster blocks. He races with us locally so we knew what he was running and have been salivating over the hard arms and caster blocks cause they did make a noticable difference on the car in foam tires.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #5083
GSP
Tech Adept

Default Hard Parts

What do you mean when you say hard parts. I am sorry but I have been out of it for awhile and just getting back into it. Also are the hard parts more for foam or for rubber tires! Thanks for the info!
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #5084
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

They have a new material that is much stiffer than the original parts. It seems to help most with foam carpet racing, though I tend to think the caster blocks would be helpful to anyone.

This is sort of like Corally who offers varying degrees of stiffness for their parts, or Xray, or HPI/Hotbodies, who have soft arms and harm arms.

Also, Jucha ran the hard stuff, because he told me he needed to tap the shock holes due to the stiffness of the material.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #5085
Tech Adept

Sorry guys.. i know i kind of asked already but which chassis is suited to rubber on ashphalt best, The ITF or the standard. Also how have people gone mounting lipo packs.. i noticed that the screw holes for the battery retainers are inside the battery "zone" or area that the battery sits in which looks like it would be hard to modify the retainers to allow a lipo to sit flush with the chassis.

Thanks,

Ben.
Phroz is offline   Reply With Quote