R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #5026
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
This is my take on the situation so others may disagree but I do feel that the tight belts are an issue in stock. I hear that there has been a running change to the belts now. The belts do wear in some but compared to every other belt car I have ever run the broken in belts still remain somewhat tight. While running mod it's not that big an issue due to the power of the mod motor but a stock motor doesn't have that power to make up for the drag in the drive train from the belts. Again this is just my opinion. I have run the car in modified (3.5) and 19turn (10.5) and stock (13.5) and have crashed in all classes and I still have the original set of arms that came with the car (bought it used) Accidents happen so I'm not going to say the car is bullet proof but it can handle a beating. I'm unaware of any arm update but that doesn't mean there isn't one. This is still the best buy for the money and it works so I wouldn't be to gun shy when it comes to buying one. The set up help on here is great too.
I can see how the combination of the very large diff pullies, together with a belt material that is less "soft" than most TCs could fool some into thinking the belts are too tight...if AE is truly changing the belts, we dont really know why....I think the belts feel fine...just my opinion....

as for stock....the car did win a ROAR stock national already...

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts

Last edited by Maybell; 01-02-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #5027
Tech Regular

Hi,

I've a problem with my dampers aswell. But in my case all 4 dampers are leaking on the bottom.
To me it looks like the plastic part is supposed to keep the o-ring spacer and the o-ring at the bottom of the shock body. But it doesn't... It's able to move up and down with the shock shaft.
Seems like a real problem as the shocks can't hold the oil for more than 5 minutes... Can anyone help me here? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I replace the so called seal retainer?

Cheers
Chris
speedy-932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #5028
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy-932 View Post
Hi,

I've a problem with my dampers aswell. But in my case all 4 dampers are leaking on the bottom.
To me it looks like the plastic part is supposed to keep the o-ring spacer and the o-ring at the bottom of the shock body. But it doesn't... It's able to move up and down with the shock shaft.
Seems like a real problem as the shocks can't hold the oil for more than 5 minutes... Can anyone help me here? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I replace the so called seal retainer?

Cheers
Chris
The Oring should be sandwiched between the seal retainer and the spacer, then pressed into the bottom of the shock body. There should be no way to see it move up or down, nor any way for it to. None of mine leak at all after near 5 months weekly use.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #5029
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtamale View Post
Hey guys, I began working on aluminum rear hubs for the TC5 today. What degree of rear toe seems to be run the most lately? i.e 1, 1.5, 2.
Let me hear some feedback on what you think is needed the most.

1 degree please...

Just ordered 6 degree castors from you yesterday are the 1 degree hubs available??
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #5030
Tech Regular

Hi,

@Verndog: Thanks. Should the seal retainers be a tight fit at the bottom of the shock body or should they be able to move relatively free (that's the case with my shocks).

Cheers
Chris
speedy-932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #5031
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BIG DADDY8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Well the new kits come with the low friction belts that are a little looser. I haven't had any major durability issues. I've broke a C hub or two and one arm in 4 months. There are some build tips that help the car, like using 12mm or 14mm screws through the arm mount nut to prevent them from breaking. I also use Schumacher ball cups...but that's a personal preference. From my understanding the new arms are going to be stiffer for foam racing, not stronger. The car works really well for rubber. You can always get the ITF chassis for rubber racing, but many people have had success without it.
Do the belts have a differant #? How do i know if i have the new ones or the old style belts?
BIG DADDY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #5032
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Hi,

@Verndog: Thanks. Should the seal retainers be a tight fit at the bottom of the shock body or should they be able to move relatively free (that's the case with my shocks).

Cheers
Chris
It should be a snug fit.
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #5033
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8 View Post
Do the belts have a differant #? How do i know if i have the new ones or the old style belts?
They have UG written on them as part of the part number...as opposed to UH or UK? or something like that. Just look for the UG.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #5034
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

Quote:
They have UG written on them as part of the part number...as opposed to UH or UK? or something like that. Just look for the UG.
This is what Craig Drescher posted on the AE Forums about the belts.

"At this point there is no low-drag belt... the kit belt was suppose to be a different material, but the manufacturer goofed up the order and supplied us with the low-drag belt instead. Unfortunately there was a 3 month lead time for the original belt, so we decided to put what we had into the kits rather than delay them any more. This meant eliminating the 31189 & 31190 low drag belts as options and just making them standard, but in the end the customer got the better belt."

Hopefully that helps.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #5035
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Chris
You should have to press fit them down inside the body, and there will be no movement. Did you get some bodies that are bored oversize and they dont press fit in? I cant imagine the plastic molded retainer changing in size.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #5036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Ok so I havent got my question verified yet, lol. are the shock pistons used in the tc5 the same for all the off road cars and everything? I seen a pic and they dont look different but I could be wrong
Pick up some Losi 56 and 57 pistons as well, some of the set-up sheets used by the team use the Losi (3 holes) pistons. No modifications needed to use them.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #5037
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Pick up some Losi 56 and 57 pistons as well, some of the set-up sheets used by the team use the Losi (3 holes) pistons. No modifications needed to use them.
What are the benefits of the 3 hole pistons? I am using #2s right now...what would be the change I would feel if I used the Losi 56 or 57 pistons?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #5038
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
What are the benefits of the 3 hole pistons? I am using #2s right now...what would be the change I would feel if I used the Losi 56 or 57 pistons?
Not sure if I can scientifically explain it to you, but you can run the lighter oils without the car becoming to aggressive and rolling to hard. When I tried them it gave the car a more fluid feel, like it drove more around the corner rather than squaring them. The holes are smaller which lets the car react smooth, but with more holes it still flows the volume of oil.

I think a 56 (red) would be like a 2 and a 57 (black) like a #3.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #5039
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Not sure if I can scientifically explain it to you, but you can run the lighter oils without the car becoming to aggressive and rolling to hard. When I tried them it gave the car a more fluid feel, like it drove more around the corner rather than squaring them. The holes are smaller which lets the car react smooth, but with more holes it still flows the volume of oil.

I think a 56 (red) would be like a 2 and a 57 (black) like a #3.
Ok...I understand. thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #5040
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

just ordered a tc5, spring set and a one way, should be here next week. i was wondering if someone would be kind enought to shoot me a pm and explain to me how to change toe, droop and well everything else this car has to be tuned jsut so I know. Thanks a lot
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote