R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

baah...Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees look as these!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
I've heard things from a....guy in VERY high places that this is true. However if I was to say who it was he'd probably fly (in) just to break my knees with a bat.

Late '06 , early '07 mark my words.
I've heard the exact same thing
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
I got a company rep saying we should get more info within "2 weeks"
Now that is funny
Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #34
Tech Adept

AE needs to do something.
The TC4 just doesn't cut it anymore.
Personally...I would love to see AE come out with a TC that can compete with all the latest and greatest cars already on the market.
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #35
Tech Regular

well if they do come out with a new car, it'd better be soon cos the world champs are just a few months away. it's no use bringing a brand new car to a world championship without any knowledge gained from real race testing. it's different testing a new car in your own factory versus testing it in actual high level competitions. it's the reason why Hara raced the prototype cyclone all over the world before it was released. same for the current kyosho belt car being developed.

the tc4 came out too close to the world champs in 2004, which was a contributing factor why only 1 car made it to the A main. hope they don't do the same thing this year.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
Actually, Team Associated is now owned by Thunder Tiger and Thunder Tiger is a Taiwaneese company, so that makes Team Associated a Taiwaneese company as well!!

Not so.

It was a merger.

AE and the Associated Electric brandname is still an American holding; Even though most manufacturing and even some design is now handled by ThunderTiger.

Thus...AE is still TECHNICALLY and American company. Just in the same way Intel or even AMD are American CPU companies, even though their chip fabs are primarily located outside of the USA.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve eaves
Now that is funny

2 WEEKS ??!!...........................Nahhhhh---It couldn't be!!!!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

12:25AM EST 3/24/2006

These guys are reading this thread:

Soviet, KE4PJO, POOKYT, Evicerator, JohnMatrix, TPhalen, TRL, syndr0me

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

y dont companies with belts put the battery on the leftside for the oval guys? or make something to trasfer it over on the lefts side like a tray or something maby ae will do so something new and diffrent. I hope they do this its about time they get something right in the road series.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #40
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Humor me. What takes more R&D a belt drive or a shaft drive? Also, is it me or is the shaft drive a dead drive for sedan because of the huge success of the belt drive?
WisRacr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #41
Tech Regular

[OPINION]

The only problem I noticed with the TC4, was how much design work was needed to get the TC3 drivetrain to work. How much easier would it have been, just to come up with a complete new design? New 'boxier' diff cases, would have been able to accept an upper deck right off the bat. I'm not saying that the gears should have been changed, just how they were housed. They could have even used the Barracuda's diff housing design! Woven graphite shocktowers(not just bolted to adapters bolted to the diffcases), upper deck spaning the whole length of the car, and an EVOIII motor mount style system. The possibility's could have been endless!

I mean, sure using the old drivetrain cut down a TON on design work, and effort, but in doing that, did it take away from the outcome of the TC4?

After spending a lot of time checking out a J-Concepts BJ4, I thought to myself, "WHAT IF J-Concepts built an all-wheel drive sedan?"
[/OPINION]
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraspeed84
y dont companies with belts put the battery on the leftside for the oval guys? or make something to trasfer it over on the lefts side like a tray or something maby ae will do so something new and diffrent. I hope they do this its about time they get something right in the road series.
Because the motor would be spinning in the wrong direction if it were on the other side of the car.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Would a moderately hopped up TA05 be more competitive than the FTTC4 at the top level? If Associated is determined to stick with making cheaper, mass-produced cars, perhaps they can look toward the TA05 with a few parts upgrades as something they're capable of doing within the current business model.

I rather like the fact that the TA05 is basically a lesser 415. Seems like AE could create a TC5 or whatever, and have the RTR and normal kits be cheaper like a TA05, but could produce a much more upgraded kit that has all the competition level stuff, and maintain parts compatibility between the two, giving people a clear upgrade path to spend their money on.

Didn't Associated sort of start the whole bling craze with R/C cars, and their "blue" hopup stuff? Man, that idea took off. I'm surprised they don't embrace it more. The TC4 just isn't very pretty, and that seems to mean something to people people that PAY money to drive the car, and not the other way around. Maybe it's silly, but never underestimate vanity.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Because the motor would be spinning in the wrong direction if it were on the other side of the car.
Not to mention, this is a touring car. Not an oval car.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaak
they need to get off the log and build a 4WD off-road machine!
and a more durable one at that. how about pillow-ball front pieces (longer version of Ntc4 arms w/hubs) and pretty much a B4 rear-end! THE ULTIMATE ELECTRIC TO EVER LEAVE THE AE FACTORY!!

nomak - What is wrong with the IFMAR 4WD World Champion BJ4?!? Though I won't say AE will never build a 1/10th Scale 4WD Off-Road Kit.... it is highly unlikely. They claim it is because there is a lack of demand.... which I don't buy. They can create that demand if they really put their heads down as Cliff Lett is a genius. The real reason I believe they may never make one is because of the relationship they have with Yokomo.... particularly through REEDY Motors. Reedy designs them and Yokomo builds them.

Notice how Yokomo only sticks to 4WD kits and never ventured into 2WD like Kyosho has!? Why...? Because of a gentleman's agreement (whether it's verbal or in writing I am not sure) between the two companies done back in the Off-Road Era of the 80's where AE will stick to just the 2WD market (popular in the U.S.) and Yokomo will stick to the 4WD market (popular in Japan). This way neither company competes directly with the other. This "agreement" apparently didn't apply to On-Road... at least that is the way AE understood it. I am sure someone currently with AE may deny there is such an "understanding"... but this has been mentioned for years and from many credible sources. You want a good AE type 4WD... get a BJ4.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote