R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #4381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey fellas, I am an off roader that is looking at doing some stock rubber this winter. I have only ran a couple of packs with a TC3 and was wondering, in your best advise would it be worth it for me to get the TC5 or run a TC3 that is available to me. I would consider myself the be one of the better locals in off road in my area. I know the main difference is belt vs shaft. Is the 5 that much better?

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #4382
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool A dusty parking lot set-up

I am chasing the set-up on my ride. I run at a made-up dusty parking lot. I tried the reedy race cav set up but it pushed like mad. I run 19brushless and lipo. added 1 oz of weight on back right side and 1 oz on top of battery strap.

ANY IDEAS
RCINSIDER.COM
Special"ED" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #4383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Family Hobbies View Post
I am chasing the set-up on my ride. I run at a made-up dusty parking lot. I tried the reedy race cav set up but it pushed like mad. I run 19brushless and lipo. added 1 oz of weight on back right side and 1 oz on top of battery strap.

ANY IDEAS
do you have the ITF chassis and topdeck on your ride?

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #4384
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBLUE View Post
Hey fellas, I am an off roader that is looking at doing some stock rubber this winter. I have only ran a couple of packs with a TC3 and was wondering, in your best advise would it be worth it for me to get the TC5 or run a TC3 that is available to me. I would consider myself the be one of the better locals in off road in my area. I know the main difference is belt vs shaft. Is the 5 that much better?
Just a hunch, but I'll bet you will quickly "hit the wall" with that TC3 and either drop the on road or wish you'd put together a TC5. If your used to winning, then you best put together a TC5 and have your best shot. Plus from what I've heard on the TC3, way more durable going the TC5 route...mine's taken a beating with very few breakdowns.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #4385
Tech Regular

Default no top deck

no and I really don't want to have to buy a new deck.
RCINSIDER.COM
Special"ED" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #4386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply verndog.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 AM   #4387
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBLUE View Post
You don't want to be racing the TC3 on any track with boards, you will break it in a heartbeat. For Rubber racing, the TC5 will be at home, for carpet foam racing, beware of the cars weaknesses. I will briefly go over a few things about the TC5, other may chime in too about their cars.

The C-HUBS are not very durable. When you hit a board, clinch-up. When they break, they almost always break where the bottom screw goes through to the steering knuckle. I broke probably 5 in the 4-months I drove the TC5, and all broke in the same spot. Buy several extra pairs when you order/buy the TC5, you will need them.

Get some 8mm and 10mm long ball studs, this kit most uses 5mm long ball studs. They have black and silver ball studs. The silver ball studs are taller, requiring less spacers when adjusting your setup. You will want to use the longer ball studs so the threads are fully engaged in the Steering Knuckles and Rear Uprights, ecspecially when using spacers to change roll-center or bumpsteer.

Wheel Bearings is another bad spot on the TC5. AE's choice of using 6x10x3mm wheel bearings was not too thought out in the testing phases. These narrow bearings are so small that they just can handle much abuse for long. I'm sure AE chose a smaller wheel bearing for reduced drag and weight, but at the cost of longevity wasn't practical. So far I've only found one other TC that uses 6x10's for wheel bearings, the Yokomo MR4TC. I recommend you go over to www.avidrc.com and get an extra 20 or so 6x10x3mm Revolutions bearings now, you will need them over several months of racing. Don't waste your money on ceramic wheel bearings in this car, you will toast them too quick, but ceramics in the rest of the drive-train will help free up belt tightness issue.

As with almost all Touring Cars, buy some extra plastic outdrives. If you are going to get the aluminum outdrives and spool or one-way, get about x32 bone blades for your axles when using the Al outdrives. These will bearing out and fall off, causing your axles to eat the Al outdrives.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #4388
Tech Master

i actually dont have the tight belt issues as i've raised the front diff up.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #4389
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

The 8mm ball studs are use for the rear hub and steering block the 5mm are on the steering rack
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #4390
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I see some guys are breaking front end parts and bearings.

http://brpracing.com/6225.html

I put one of these on the front of my car. Basically, you need to enlarge the 3 holes in the bumper to fit on top of the stock bumper, and remove some material from the back. You will be able to smash everything in your path without damage, however

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #4391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

Ok guys, im in a pinch... My diff will not tighten any further. I pulled it apart to examine it and found that I had striped the diff nut and broke the holder. Will a TC4 diff nut and holder work?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #4392
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Use brushless ESC & Motor TC5 Left Right side balance ?
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #4393
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know at my track tc5 parts are hard to find atm but I did notice last week that the tc4 caster blocks measure out the same except for the hingepin hole. Put the hingepin in your dremel to enlarge it a little and they work great. Just a fix if your shop don't have them.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #4394
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT

I'm very surprised that people are breaking front-end parts! I haven't broken anything on the front end yet! And I don't even run a wide kydex bumper. I'm still using the stock bumper. I have broken a couple rear hubs and one rear hub bearing from trying to hit our tight sweeper a little too hot, but that's it.

This car has been an absolute tank compared to my RDX and is right up there with my old, indestructable, Xray T1R. This car has given me a ton of confidence to be able to take the corners really tight because I'm not afraid of breaking.
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #4395
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC View Post
Ok guys, im in a pinch... My diff will not tighten any further. I pulled it apart to examine it and found that I had striped the diff nut and broke the holder. Will a TC4 diff nut and holder work?
You'll have to change the diff bolt as well, the threading is different metric vs standard i believe,