Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #4006
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT
Default UPDATE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
Nope, nothing is backwards and the rear hubs are both the same, at least with the 0 degree ones. Not sure if it changes once you start using optional 1 or 2 degrees though.

As for bending them, nope. I was just setting it up on my bench at home when I noticed the ridiculous difference in toe! I hadn't even got the car on the track yet.

Anyhow, that all being said, I drove it last night with the wonkey shim setup and it's fine. I ordered some parts for it to see if the new ones are any better but I'll drive it as is until I break it.

Another note, this thing has insane steering! I used to run my dual rate at 75 with my RDX and I had to change the setting down to 35 for the TC5! I also had to reduce my rear droop quite a bit. I'm probably only running about 1mm of droop, although I am going to increase it slightly now that I'm a little more used to it. And this is all with a mostly stock setup and RUBBER tires! Kit chassis, kit springs, no sways, and a one-way. I love it!!!

So to give a little update. I managed to break the left side rear hub in practice last week and installed a new hub today for racing. The new hub gave me correct toe settings. So I had a bad hub when I built the kit.

Also raced for the first time tonight since last spring. Qualified 2nd in the B (which is decent since we had 30 cars out and have a factory Xray and Team Full Throttle guy and a bunch of guys who used to be sponsered pretty big) but had some bad luck with back markers that resulted in me popping my transponder out. Time for a personal transponder. Our club finally updated our software, so we can finally use them.

The car is good! I can't wait to tweak it a bit more and see if I can get my laps down to a more competitive time.
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #4007
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
So to give a little update. I managed to break the left side rear hub in practice last week and installed a new hub today for racing. The new hub gave me correct toe settings. So I had a bad hub when I built the kit.

Also raced for the first time tonight since last spring. Qualified 2nd in the B (which is decent since we had 30 cars out and have a factory Xray and Team Full Throttle guy and a bunch of guys who used to be sponsered pretty big) but had some bad luck with back markers that resulted in me popping my transponder out. Time for a personal transponder. Our club finally updated our software, so we can finally use them.

The car is good! I can't wait to tweak it a bit more and see if I can get my laps down to a more competitive time.

On the steering issue, try some Anti Dive, page 26 of the manual. I made the change from zero (2A 2A) to 1 degree (1A 2A), what a difference...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #4008
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can you guys tell me is the layshaft the sames as the input shaft? also where can I find the low friction team bomber belt?
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #4009
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
On the steering issue, try some Anti Dive, page 26 of the manual. I made the change from zero (2A 2A) to 1 degree (1A 2A), what a difference...

Good thought on that one. I didn't even think of trying that. I'll be practicing again soon, so I'll have to remember to try it!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #4010
Tech Addict

It will slightly increase your on power steering as well
Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #4011
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Car ran great for me, I had another GTB fire and luckily the only thing I lost was the belt melted just a bit. Only took a few minutes to replace and I was back running again.

I had much better success w/ the diffs this time, Last time out I melted the outdrives, this time I ca'd the rings and the rear diff gave no issues. I did have to tap the spool however as I could not keep the nut from backing out.
-
I tried a lot of different setups, we were running on a gas track.. the site that ran the 04 worlds running 3.5, the car was dialed everytime and kept getting better. If I can keep from thermalling(see pic), I'll be a very happy driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC5-dsc00785.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #4012
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmartin View Post
Car ran great for me, I had another GTB fire and luckily the only thing I lost was the belt melted just a bit. Only took a few minutes to replace and I was back running again.

I had much better success w/ the diffs this time, Last time out I melted the outdrives, this time I ca'd the rings and the rear diff gave no issues. I did have to tap the spool however as I could not keep the nut from backing out.
-
I tried a lot of different setups, we were running on a gas track.. the site that ran the 04 worlds running 3.5, the car was dialed everytime and kept getting better. If I can keep from thermalling(see pic), I'll be a very happy driver.
All your missing is the BBQ sauce!! Seriously though, how the heck did that thing catch on fire?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #4013
Tech Addict

I Just got it back from novak as a refurb and I was having thermalling issues with my other gtb. It was the first run on the speedo 2.5 minutes into the race, It lost power and then My car started smoking, then I could see fire from the drivers stand and turn marshalls scrambling. It was quite surreal. Was not overgeared, running 5 cell w/ the 3.5 fdr of 9.0.
-
As a bonus, I now have tinted windows
Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #4014
Tech Rookie

Just gor my TC5. What springs are best for stock rubber?
newman r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #4015
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman r/c View Post
Just gor my TC5. What springs are best for stock rubber?
silver and blue
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #4016
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have tried gold springs as well so those can be an option. It all depends on your track conditions and how you like the car to drive.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #4017
Tech Master

I just bought a tc-5 for this years winter season. This will be my first dealing with Touring Cars, although I ran 1/10 pan car, and 1/12 scale last winter! We will be running a 13.5 li-po combination on rubber tires! Anyone have any advice and set-up tips for rubber tires!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #4018
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
It will slightly increase your on power steering as well
That's good, because I find it is lacking in that department a wee bit. I was also thinking of going to the 6 degree front hubs but I'm going to try one thing at a time.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #4019
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Turbo, what kind of surface are you running on?

Gixxerman, same question...rubber tires on what surface?
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #4020
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Im buying a TC5 from bvolts and I was wondering if xray springs will work on the tc5. Im selling my yokomo and didnt want to sell the springs if they would work on my new car. Also will the sway bars off the yokomo BD work on the tc5.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote