Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #2701
Tech Master

thanks Mr. Smooth....

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #2702
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For 5 cell racing, I see Juho's car has the battery forward, Is this the best way to run the car w/ 5 cells in modified?

Thanks
BTW, The Futaba Low Profile servo fit with any issues.
also make sure you look at the yellow page before you build all your turnbuckles, My fingers are still hurting.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #2703
Zio
Tech Rookie

OK TC5 pros...

I've got a few questions for ya!

I've never built a belt driven kit, the TC5 is my first. I've built my TC5 and I wanted to know if there's a break-in period for the drivetrain to become super smooth?

My drivetrain seems slightly tight to me, but this could be due to my ignorance with belt driven cars and the inherent tension due to the belt.

I payed VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to the dif locations, so I'm sure the car was assembled correctly to the stock config, "using the addendum sheet".

Also, how stiff should the suspension be? Right now I don't have the sway bars installed and my suspension is quite tight. I have to push down pretty hard on the car for the suspension to begin working. Is there any way to guage if I've done something incorrectly?

I'm use to pan cars so this 4wd belt driven thing is quite new to me. Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for any tips!
Zio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #2704
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio View Post
OK TC5 pros...

I've got a few questions for ya!

I've never built a belt driven kit, the TC5 is my first. I've built my TC5 and I wanted to know if there's a break-in period for the drivetrain to become super smooth?

My drivetrain seems slightly tight to me, but this could be due to my ignorance with belt driven cars and the inherent tension due to the belt.

I payed VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to the dif locations, so I'm sure the car was assembled correctly to the stock config, "using the addendum sheet".

Also, how stiff should the suspension be? Right now I don't have the sway bars installed and my suspension is quite tight. I have to push down pretty hard on the car for the suspension to begin working. Is there any way to guage if I've done something incorrectly?

I'm use to pan cars so this 4wd belt driven thing is quite new to me. Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for any tips!
The belts will stretch a little but the TC5 belts will do so less than others. But that is what the adjustability is for. They can always be set perfectly. The drivetrain should be very free, even with new belts. The important thing is to set the belts so that they are not too tight, regardless of the starting point given in the instructions.

The rear belt should have about 3/16" deflection and the front more. The front belt should be able to at least touch the top deck when pressed down.

You can't set the suspension until you have the car completely built with everything installed and the desired tires mounted (and trued to the correct size if using foam). It sounds like you have too much pre-load on the springs. This is OK for now and will be adjusted later anyway when you set the ride height.

See the AE website for the droop (down travel) settings as these will need to be set correctly before anything else and can be done before everything is installed.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #2705
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCpurplecow View Post
sry dude, i was talking about sticking with the one way in my tc4, but the spool should come for the tc5 in about two weeks I think.
Ok might be a silly question but does the one way that was used in the tc4 fit? And what about alloy outdrives
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #2706
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
Ok might be a silly question but does the one way that was used in the tc4 fit? And what about alloy outdrives
dude, just wait for the TC5 one-way and save you the trouble...

Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #2707
Zio
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The belts will stretch a little but the TC5 belts will do so less than others. But that is what the adjustability is for. They can always be set perfectly. The drivetrain should be very free, even with new belts. The important thing is to set the belts so that they are not too tight, regardless of the starting point given in the instructions.

The rear belt should have about 3/16" deflection and the front more. The front belt should be able to at least touch the top deck when pressed down.

You can't set the suspension until you have the car completely built with everything installed and the desired tires mounted (and trued to the correct size if using foam). It sounds like you have too much pre-load on the springs. This is OK for now and will be adjusted later anyway when you set the ride height.

See the AE website for the droop (down travel) settings as these will need to be set correctly before anything else and can be done before everything is installed.
Thanks for the info.

The belt can easily touch the top deck so I guess I have enough slop. If I grab the belt and pull on it then let go, the tires spin a few times and then stop. It's nothing like a pan car where the axel will spin almost indefinetly. Should this be expected or should all 4 tires spin very freely?

I do have tires on the car and I set my shock springs to just be engaged at the resting point of the arms, but I did lower the ride height after that so I will need to readjust the spring tensions. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!
Zio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #2708
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio View Post
Thanks for the info.

The belt can easily touch the top deck so I guess I have enough slop. If I grab the belt and pull on it then let go, the tires spin a few times and then stop. It's nothing like a pan car where the axel will spin almost indefinetly. Should this be expected or should all 4 tires spin very freely?

I do have tires on the car and I set my shock springs to just be engaged at the resting point of the arms, but I did lower the ride height after that so I will need to readjust the spring tensions. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!
The wheels will not spin freely like a pan car's will. And a belt car wil not spin as freely as a shaft drive car will. But that is the just the way a belt car is and does not really affect performance as long as they are as free as possible.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #2709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSCREAM View Post
thanks Mr. Smooth....
i think there is a little something on your nose... looks to be a little brown... lol
jeff jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #2710
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Everything is metric.
I think the screws for the battery strap are imperial... At least I used an imperial hex for those...
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:19 AM   #2711
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I ran my TC5 for the first time today with a 9 x 1 and a front home made spool. I must say the car was awesome straight onto the track. I did the rear o ring mod on the top deck, put softer springs on the front, ran 40 weight oil front and rear and laid the front shocks over to the 2nd hole from the inside. Other than that... box set up with rubbers.

The only problem I had was that the belt was slipping a fair bit under brakes. I'm not sure if any one else has had this problem, but if you have, what have you done to fix/modify this? I am running the box set up for the belt tensioners.

Thanks
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #2712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Rick Hohwart, I ran my TC5 for the first time this weekend and it was awesome. I did notice that when the front wheels were fully turned left or right the inside wheel woold chatter a lot. Have you noticed anything like this when running the TC5? What are some things I could check to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #2713
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
i think there is a little something on your nose... looks to be a little brown... lol
it is a inside remark from before you were born...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #2714
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
The only problem I had was that the belt was slipping a fair bit under brakes. I'm not sure if any one else has had this problem, but if you have, what have you done to fix/modify this? I am running the box set up for the belt tensioners.

Thanks
I've NEVER heard a belt slip on a prototype or production TC5. There is definitely something wrong. Can you post some pictures of how you have your cams set?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #2715
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
Rick Hohwart, I ran my TC5 for the first time this weekend and it was awesome. I did notice that when the front wheels were fully turned left or right the inside wheel woold chatter a lot. Have you noticed anything like this when running the TC5? What are some things I could check to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance...
There is always going to be some chatter at large deflection. Are you running the standard diff in the front? I usually don't run full steering throw. If you would like, you can glue a 1mm washer to the spindle where it meets the caster block. This will manually reduce the throw and in turn reduce the chatter.

In testing, we haven't found it to be a detriment to the handling.