R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Changing Radios

How easy is it to go from a stick transmitter to a steer wheel one, has anyone done it and how long did it take till you were fully comfortable with it, also are there any reasons why they are better than the stick ones, a lot of the worlds top drivers seem to use the wheel ones but why?
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you have a really good stick radio and are comfortable with it, don't change. There are a few top drivers that actually use them. Years ago when I first got into RC that is what I had and it was fine. I got out of it for a few years and got a wheel radio when I got back into it. It is all a matter of personal preference and comfort. I would not worry about it unless you are looking for a change. I own a KO Helios now and love it, but you are going to get a bunch of different answers from every one. Best thing is if you are going to go wheel, try a few in your hand before you actually buy.

Good Luck!!
JRXS Type R, I have four of them!! ;) ( Yes, I still have them!!)
22 2.0
22T 2.0
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I have the KO vantage its about 6 years old now and looking a bit worse for wear, but still works perfect, its the best thing i have ever bought, the only other stick one in the same league is the futaba 3vc but this seems very bulky but there seems to be a good choice of steer wheel transmiters available.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I guess if its all you've ever driven with, its hard to say how long it would take to get accustomed to a new type of radio. I started out with a futaba stick, many years ago... but then everything went to the wheel design. It seems like there is much more features and manufactures with the wheel design though. I suspect you'd probably adapt just after a few battery packs, getting the "feel" and depth perception will probably take a bit longer.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Tech Adept

I dont think there would be a huge difference in changing from KO to 3vc or the KO to steer wheel because like you say you need to get that feel for the transmitter.

Its just the initial learning that will be different but this shouldnt take long, i hope