Wiki Posts
Search

ft tc4 upgrade ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default ft tc4 upgrade ???

I was woundering i hear there are all kinds of chassis to upgrade to from my ft tc4 one. like bmi and others I hear alot about the bmi i stuff what will it do for me? what will it help the car do drive smother or what? Id like to know im manly runing carpet car is good but i think it could be better. if not ill half to switch to a yoko or a t2 or hotbodies. But for a shaft car its pretty darn nice for a my first tc. Just trying to get the most of it or out of it. i really think it needs a thicker base plate instead of the 2.5 maybe like a 3 or something. any ideas on what i should do. stick with the tc4 and upgrade or buy a belt car from above?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

You might have a hard time improving the performance of a FT TC4 on carpet. The chassis may only be 2.5 mm but it's an incredibly high garde of Carbon Fiber. I have had chassis that were a lot thicker but flexed more than the Associated...thicker is not always better!! The car is really stiff out of the box and you would probably not be able to make it stiffer.

BMI makes incredible stuff but they do not make a chassis for the FT TC4. They make a chassis for the regular TC4. The cars are different and the BMI TC4 chassis will not be a direct replacment for a FT TC4 (I am sure someone can chime in here and note exactly what those differences are).

Right now, there is not a better chassis for the FT TC4 than the standard Carbon Fiber plates that come with the kit.

And switching to the Hotbodies or a Yokomo would only make your issue worse as those cars, while incredible asphalt cars, they are not the best on carpet! They are much more flexible than the TC4. If you are looking at something stiffer than the TC4 try the RDX Carpet Spec!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

that bites... Well will this car be good on asphault? whats diffrent between the factory team and the regular tc4 beside the carbon fiber? now im just not sure what to do for a good carpet car wich it makes good since that if corally names it carpet spec its going to be good there but the t2 did kick butt at snowbirds. Im not sure what i need to do does the tc4 have any aluminum upgrades?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

The car is as good as anything out there...not better...not worse. The FT TC4 won the Reedy Race on it's first time out so yes, it's a world class asphalt car. The difference between the 2 TC4 cars is monor with the chassis and motor mount being the biggest.

The RDX just cleaned up at the Nationals this last weekend taking both Modified and Stock. Corally has been cleaning up in the Stock classes all over the place...including the Snowbirds...

Stay away from uncesessary aluminum upgrades. They are heavier and more expensive than stock. Also, while they don't beak but they bend and if a piece is bent you may not notice it and it can screw up the handleing of your car.

The stock FT TC4 is perfect out of the box, nothing is needed to make it a competitive car.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Associated now make a thinner, more flexible chassis for ashphalt, it looks very interesting although probably not the best for foam carpet but it is still an option if you are trying things out
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

well then thats awsome i thought that xray won the stock class at snowbirds am i wrong? i think im going to get either the t2 or the corally then for my carpet foam tires and keep on runing my tc4 in the nastruck class with rubber tires might be a better thing. thanks for the info if anyone has any more info let me know thanks for the help...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

two more things does ceramic bearing prove to be better on the cars? and also how can i tighten the steering up its all new and has very small amount of slop in it. any ideas?