Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10th scale pan cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ray-A Pro-10 car with a current mod motor is considerably faster than ANY 1/8 nitro on road car. Even 6 cell 1/12th cars were going 65mph at the end of a long straight (w/Sanyo RC2000's geared for 5 min).

You are correct about racing. It was dirty as you didnt have the time to think about passing a slow car. You could only concentrate on your line and if someone was in your way there was carnage .

At the 2002 carpet nats Jeff Brown just tapped the outside wall of the back straight at full throttle. The car caught air and flew about 30 feet hitting at concrete wall about 10 feet off the ground. It was so loud we were sure someone just got killed. After that there was a drivers meeting and the racers voted to cancel the 1/10 mod class at that race. That was the last time 1/10th cars were run at a ROAR nats.

Later that year at Yatabe Arena drivers voted and IFMAR decided to not run Pro-10 anymore due to safety issues and poor turnouts.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Did you mean Jeff Brown is a dangerous driver and cause safety concern eventually cancellation of the class.

Thank you for telling now I know why Pro 10 is dead

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Ray-A Pro-10 car with a current mod motor is considerably faster than ANY 1/8 nitro on road car. Even 6 cell 1/12th cars were going 65mph at the end of a long straight (w/Sanyo RC2000's geared for 5 min).

You are correct about racing. It was dirty as you didnt have the time to think about passing a slow car. You could only concentrate on your line and if someone was in your way there was carnage .

At the 2002 carpet nats Jeff Brown just tapped the outside wall of the back straight at full throttle. The car caught air and flew about 30 feet hitting at concrete wall about 10 feet off the ground. It was so loud we were sure someone just got killed. After that there was a drivers meeting and the racers voted to cancel the 1/10 mod class at that race. That was the last time 1/10th cars were run at a ROAR nats.

Later that year at Yatabe Arena drivers voted and IFMAR decided to not run Pro-10 anymore due to safety issues and poor turnouts.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Deceased Guy
Did you mean Jeff Brown is a dangerous driver and cause safety concern eventually cancellation of the class.

Thank you for telling now I know why Pro 10 is dead
Yes...its all Jeff's fault...lol!

Not really...at the speed they were going any upset to the chassis would cause the body to catch air under it and the car would lift off.

At The Worlds in Japan a car flew off the track over a chain link fence where Masami was watching the race. It missed his head by a few inches.

1/10th died because it got too fast and too dangerous.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

1/10 pan is still alive and well in some areas there is a whole thread on rctech (HERE) . Here in Edmonton we have around 13 guys running them. I love touring car but it can't hold a candle to pancar. As for dangerous we run large heats (up to 10 cars on carpet), with 7,8 turns and I don't think they are any more dangerous than any other car. I mean if the class died because of the 'danger' then we will soon be losing monster trucks, 1/8 scale buggys and Truggys! I've seen more people get smoked by them than anything else. I think the class died with the rise of TC. When a new class comes up something has to die.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have one of the 190mm 10l somethings, with a chemelon and a 6 cell pack its way faster then my touring car with a checkpoint 7 turn. I had put a parma alfa body on it, and i have to say it sure is a blast,only drove it once though, maybe il take it back out 1 day with a lipo and brushless motor, talk about sickly fast! Good thing i race at a real big carpet track.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll have to take a look at that Mike!!! I loved the 1/10 scale pans when I started, they were just too expensive compared to 1/12 scale so I went that route (this is way back in the 80's). I'd love to find a nice used 10L2 or something to mess around with when I get too damn good with the touring cars!! (BIG WINK!!)
Old 03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 10L

I still have my original 10L. I bought it in 90 to go oval racing.
I raced it at the first of last years season here in Portland, OR..
With the Novak 5800 brushless. The thing was really fast.
Timezone raceway in Battleground, Wa.. Is going to have a pan car event this year. And there are a few guys getting ready for it.
Last year I put the newer front end on it.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Redline,

1/10 pan cars are very rare and many makers have decided to discontinue the production. I found it very difficult to get spare parts for my HPI 10g and 10gw. Lucky that i managed to buy lots of spare parts from yahoo auction and shops during my stay in Japan.

For front tires, I soaked a pair of front 1/10 TC foam tires into a container of thinner or acetone overnight. The next day, you need to dry the separated foam. Few hours later, you can glue or double side tape the foam to the pan car front wheel.

Depending on the surface and track temperature, i have the choices of 35, 37, 40, 42 and 45 shore rating for my front tires. This is great cause even the F1 teams dont have this much of tire choice LOL.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

I agree, very few on planet earth can fully control a 6 cell mod 10th pan car. But I don't think it's any more dangerous than other classes that still run. I know an old guy marshalling for 1/8th onroad and a car flew over him when he bent over to pick up another car. It would have killed him if he was standing up! Maybe I'd rather get hit with a pan car than a much heavier 1/8th onroad!

How about a compromise and run 4 cell mod or 19t? or 6 cell stock? Thats not too crazy. If you can handle mod touring, you can surely drive those classes. I got a pantoura(190mm) and 4 cell any-motor is SWEET!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by azmio
Redline,

For front tires, I soaked a pair of front 1/10 TC foam tires into a container of thinner or acetone overnight. The next day, you need to dry the separated foam. Few hours later, you can glue or double side tape the foam to the pan car front wheel.

Or you could buy tires from Jaco, Corally, Bsr....
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

if these jaco, BSR, etc tires available widely in Japan, I would buy them. Unfortunately, they are as rare as the 1/10 pan car kits. What I did, I bought a lot of rear tires from these rare pan car hobby shops. For front tires, I rely on the foam tires that are very widely available throughout Japan and Asia.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

I bought a 10L2 over Ebay, it was brand new coming from Australia, every once and then one is showing up on ebay...

Last year there were the pancarchampionships in US organised by a real addict, he might do the same this year, but try to get in touch with him, maybe he can help you guys out....

In Holland & Germany there are also quite some 10th pan car addicts around, unfortunately in wintertime we drive mostly 12th scale indoor...
Protenholland (a poster on this forum) is organising a Lemans series for all the enthousiasts in this part of the world. We even have a race at Apeldoorn (very BIG) this year.

I reccon the rest of the world could do the same, just organize your series together with a club race at your local track and try to do the same at other tracks... Try to negotiate a set of regulations that suits some racers and go go go go, if other people can see the fun you have and your bill at the end of the race, I'm sure more and more people will get interested...

Also this series is good to use your stock of older cells and motors lying around in your pits (at least many of us here use their old stuff) and even this stuff will thrill you

So get out there and convince some of the "I used to drive 10th pan cars or F1-cars" to get it back out..... They did the same with me

Have Fun
Old 03-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

grass roots blue ribbon sub-committee!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

i have to say i know very little about tenth pan cars or twelfth but surely the 6 cell 12th cars with stock motors were faster than the tenth so is it down to the extra weight of tenth pan that they were outlawed.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by redlinezak
i have to say i know very little about tenth pan cars or twelfth but surely the 6 cell 12th cars with stock motors were faster than the tenth so is it down to the extra weight of tenth pan that they were outlawed.
1/12th was suffing the same problems. The only guys running 6 cell were outdoor racers on asphalt. This part of 1/12th died alongside the Pro-10 cars. The Indoor carpet racers were running 4 cell and the lighter cars were more fun to drive and more controllable for novices and pro drivers. This part of 1/12th stayed alive and eventually crossed over to outdoor racing.

Quite a few people tried to promote 4 cell Pro-10 but it just never gained acceptance. Most racers prefered running Tourings cars at the time.

Now racers that want a simple 2nd class to run in addition to sedans choose to run 1/12th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.