Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info... >

Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...

Hi,

I am opening an Indoor Electric on/off-road track. I need alittle info on what (other than wood) to use for borders (track walls). Also anyother info that would make it a good and fun place to run cars and trucks.

Right now it will be carpeted with optional removabel ramps and jumps (for trucks).

Thanks for all the input.
If this is in the wrong forum, please advise.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Unfinished wood can be very unforgiving, square-section plastic drainpipe is a good marker for straights, with bot dots marking corner apexes. Make sure you curve the edges of the barriers with some flat plastic sheet, catching a rough edge can really tear a car apart.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

These corners were made from lexan and plywood. They have about a 1/2" of give in them and absolutely do not break cars. The straights are painted 2 by 4's.

What I really love about the round corners is the flow that they lend to the track.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A good example of a really cool and inviting R/C race track. There are many out there but this one is closest to where I am.

http://www.fastcats.ca/

Scroll down on the opening page to see pics of the interior carpet track.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mistercrash
A good example of a really cool and inviting R/C race track. There are many out there but this one is closest to where I am.

http://www.fastcats.ca/

Scroll down on the opening page to see pics of the interior carpet track.
thats very nice. does anyone have any more pics of the pits and the whole facility?
=)
Old 03-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I race and announce here: http://www.southshorehobby.com/

Look for the indoor pics of the facility.

A complete place.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

I race at CEFX raceway here in Westland, MI. Josh uses square PVC for the track borders with wood inside to give it some weight so it doesn't go flying away if a car does hit it. It's a smooth surface that the cars don't catch on at all so if you do hit a pipe, you'll just slide off of it. On the corners, he uses 1/4 inch polycarbonate which has enough flex so it doesn't damage the cars at all but still maintains it's shape after impact. I'm far from being a great driver and am well acquainted with the boards. I rarely break parts on this setup unless I plow full force into the wall, which has happened once or twice... Unfortunately, he doesn't have pics of the track up on the web just yet, but that will be coming here in the near future.

Tony
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default FastCats

a few pics
Attached Thumbnails Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...-trophy-race-shots-121.jpg   Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...-trophy-race-shots-027.jpg   Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...-trophy-race-shots-011.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastcats
a few pics
very nice. how many sq feet is the fastcats facility?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
I race at CEFX raceway here in Westland, MI. Josh uses square PVC for the track borders with wood inside to give it some weight so it doesn't go flying away if a car does hit it. It's a smooth surface that the cars don't catch on at all so if you do hit a pipe, you'll just slide off of it. On the corners, he uses 1/4 inch polycarbonate which has enough flex so it doesn't damage the cars at all but still maintains it's shape after impact. I'm far from being a great driver and am well acquainted with the boards. I rarely break parts on this setup unless I plow full force into the wall, which has happened once or twice... Unfortunately, he doesn't have pics of the track up on the web just yet, but that will be coming here in the near future.

Tony
Here is a picture from right after he opened.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is the track that is by me. It has a good size offroad track and carpet track. The drivers stand is a little high for me but thats life.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hobby Shop

If you are going to have an onsite Hobby Shop, you should follow standard industry practice and make sure your barriers are as hard and rigid as possible, to maximise damage to customer's cars. A really hard piece of wood or concrete at the end of the long straight, can generate an extra $200 in parts sales a month, all by itself.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

FastCats facility is 8600 sqft.
the carpet track is 93x48 - the outside track (the back alley) is 150x50
also a birthday party track with RCP track, that runs miniz's
Attached Thumbnails Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...-pics-009.jpg   Looking to OPEN an indoor on/off-road track, NEED info...-pics-sotcc-jimmy-013.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

"follow industry standard"
who says?
not at our track, we spend hours designing track and materials in order to be as driver friendly as possible!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imjonah
If you are going to have an onsite Hobby Shop, you should follow standard industry practice and make sure your barriers are as hard and rigid as possible, to maximise damage to customer's cars. A really hard piece of wood or concrete at the end of the long straight, can generate an extra $200 in parts sales a month, all by itself.
Let's say my LHS runs a R/C race track and follows this "standard industry practice" you write about, I would definatly buy my spare parts online or try to find somewhere else to race. I would NOT support a LHS who doesn't support its customers or uses such practices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.