Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How I threw away 6-months of racing >

How I threw away 6-months of racing

How I threw away 6-months of racing

Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AM03GT
do you run a spektrum module? i've heard some cases of crazy radio model settings like trim and epa changing on its own with the use of a spektrum module, sometimes even changing a few clicks while in use...
I've used a DSM for over a year without problems like that, but not to say it couldn't happen.

M11 USERS!! I do know of a friend who put wrap tape over his handle and every time he turned it on, the setting changed. He called airtronics and what was causing this was the fact that if the button on the grip handle is pressed when the radio cuts on, EVRYTHING goes back to default settings, just incase anyone has had this issue.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I just reset my model on my m8, set my dual rate to 100%, put the servo horn on that is already attached to the turning linkages, and try to postition it on the best spline as possbile, set my end points, put it on the track, set my dual rate, and im gold.

You want to start off with the same dual rate on each car. I know when i reset a model on the M8, it resets the dual rate to 125, have to make sure to put it to 100
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

I can't stand setting my circles on the track.

I like to set my throw on the HUDY setup station. Of course, this only works for touring cars.

First, I set my EPA's equal in the radio. Then, I take care that the servo horn is at the proper angle (90deg on most cars). Next, I make sure the bellcrank is straight/centered by adjusting the tie rod from the horn to the bellcrank. Then, I make sure that both tie rods are of equal length (unless the bellcrank is offset, in which case I set each side to the proper toe). After I set all that, I turn on my radio and set the proper toe on the HUDY station, taking care that my tie rods remain equal length (when applicable). Then, I make sure on the HUDY station that both wheels are turning the same amount. If they are a little different, I adjust my EPA a little, but I'll keep both sides within 4% of each other.

Here's the kicker: I double check on the HUDY station that D/R adjustments affect the throw on both sides equally. For example, if I change my D/R from 85 to 72, and the throw is suddenly a couple degrees off, I know something else is wrong...and I double check everything.

Doing it this way, I am always confident that changing my D/R isn't messing with any of my other settings.

One thing I absolutely hate about setting my throw on the track is that the car always seems to steer different depending on whether or not it is in the groove, even when doing very slow circles. It just doesn't feel accurate enough to me most of the time.

After making all these adjustments, my car feels completely balanced on the track...until I hit the wall hard enough !
Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
I can't stand setting my circles on the track...
Same here, and I use the setup station method as well. It works especially good when changing ackerman settings and figuring out the approximate new amount of steering throw needed to compensate.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rayhuang, Nexus, and Brandon what radio are you guys using?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When you guys talked about setting up dual rates all the time, but isn't dual rate just decreases the steering servo's sensitivity?

Which setting do you guys use first when setting up a brand new car assuming you have set up the steering linkage on the car all right, servo horn in neutral position. Do you guys first set subtrim to fine tune the center point AND then set your EPA?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BSchorr
I just reset my model on my m8, set my dual rate to 100%, put the servo horn on that is already attached to the turning linkages, and try to postition it on the best spline as possbile, set my end points, put it on the track, set my dual rate, and im gold.

You want to start off with the same dual rate on each car. I know when i reset a model on the M8, it resets the dual rate to 125, have to make sure to put it to 100
dear.. all these years... sigh. and i thought i was nuts.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Very interesting thread guys. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I want to make it clear that I harbor no ill feelings towards any radio manufacturer nor do I blame the maker of my radio!! I dont want anyone thinking this is a "flame" thread which I am afraid it will become if we start naming brand names. But my radio, which I love is a KO helios. And I have t give major props to Robert at KO for suffering through this with me and trying to trouble shoot it.

Also-I want to be clear that I dont think the wandering EPA's, etc is caused directly from initially setting epa's and subtrim per se. What it is is being in a certain range of numbers (d/r in the mid ranges of say 40 to 70), epa's in the same range and subtrims (any value other than 0, but maybe worse if value is say 10 or higher).

Now those combined with changing d/r while driving and maybe all by itself will cause radio to not hold the Endpoint steady.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

another thing to keep in mind is epa adjustments on throttle. i've helped many guys reset their speedos cuz they say it doesn't feel very smooth. what i found was they had their epa's at 100% or below and then setting their speedo which makes it less smooth and less variable. before resetting your electronic speedo to the radio, always make sure you max out the epa "high" and "low" (on the m8 and m11 the high maxes out at 140% and low maxes out at 160%)

this allows the speedo to spread out it's variableness in speed over a greater amount of area when you pull the throttle or push for brakes. once i set the speedo, i always leave the epa high at 140% and then turn the epa low down to 100% and set the push brake for track conditions from there.

good thread guys

racer-oZ
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Manufacture terminology

Manufacture terminology can also add to the mix when bombarded with so so many options available on today's high end radios. One example of this is on the EX-10 Helios Dual Rate is called Steering Travel but on the Futaba radios it's just simply called Dual Rate. Another example of manufacture terminology differences: Steering Balance (KO) and End Point Adjustment (Futaba). This was one of the apparent differences that was noticed when switching from one manufacture to another.

My main reason for switching was mainly ergonomics and comfort. I can't tell any functional differences. My first radio was the 3pJ-super, the menu was not the easiest to navigate. When I got the 3pK, menu navigation was very easy, a night and day difference. I also get the same response from owners of the Helios that had the EX-1 Mars R.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer-oZ
another thing to keep in mind is epa adjustments on throttle. i've helped many guys reset their speedos cuz they say it doesn't feel very smooth. what i found was they had their epa's at 100% or below and then setting their speedo which makes it less smooth and less variable. before resetting your electronic speedo to the radio, always make sure you max out the epa "high" and "low" (on the m8 and m11 the high maxes out at 140% and low maxes out at 160%)

this allows the speedo to spread out it's variableness in speed over a greater amount of area when you pull the throttle or push for brakes. once i set the speedo, i always leave the epa high at 140% and then turn the epa low down to 100% and set the push brake for track conditions from there.

good thread guys

racer-oZ
This is a great tip for LRP and Novak speedos but do not do this on a Keyence. Keyence speedos have a lot more going on inside them than LRP and Novak and they prefer 100/100 endpoints. They have a microprocessor in them that dosen't understand what 40% more than full throttle means and this can make them stutter and do weird stuff. If you go back to 100% they are perfect again.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Transmitter Seminar

Anybody up for doing a seminar on transmitter settings at the Carpet Nats in Stockton? This stuff is excellent!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

bump this is great a read
Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer-oZ

good thread guys

racer-oZ
omg.. i am so ashamed. i did a reset. .and uh.. wow. ((sigh))

god.. why didnt i realize that?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.