Wiki Posts
Search

charging Sanyo 3000

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 06:20 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Default charging Sanyo 3000

I currently have an Apex Sigma charger and have Sanyo 3000mAh batteries, and I want to look into a new charger because my charger is false peaking the 3000mAh MiMH batteries. I've somewhere that these batteries will false peak if the cells intial temperature is below a certain temperature, so I've tried heating the battery up and change it, no false peak but it's a hassle.

So which chargers won't have that type of probelm? And I'm thinking of the Tekin BC112A, is that charger any good, and will it false peak the 3000mAh?

thanks
Old 12-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

tekin is no longer around so if you're in the market for a new charger look into the pitbull or the pulsar. They are both really good chargers at a great price. You may also want to give the Reedy charger a look over.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

However, that being said, if you can find a Tekin BC112 for a good price(like on eBay) that has the right firmware, feel free to buy it. It's still an excellent charger, & if it has firmware version h27-h31, then you can charge NiMh's with it without danger. Just use the "P" or "P0" charge mode, turn off the trickle charge, thrun off Power Flex, & you'll be fine. Plus, I like the 112's cold start mode, it'll go for about 5 or 6 minutes before it even tries to sense the pack's voltage(by which time the chance of a false peak should be nearly zero), & when it peaks, the packs feel just about right. I've been quite pleased with mine, & I see no reason to stop using it....
Old 12-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: charging Sanyo 3000

Originally posted by jcr
I currently have an Apex Sigma charger and have Sanyo 3000mAh batteries, and I want to look into a new charger because my charger is false peaking the 3000mAh MiMH batteries. I've somewhere that these batteries will false peak if the cells intial temperature is below a certain temperature, so I've tried heating the battery up and change it, no false peak but it's a hassle.

So which chargers won't have that type of probelm? And I'm thinking of the Tekin BC112A, is that charger any good, and will it false peak the 3000mAh?

thanks
There can be several reasons for those false peaking.

If you use the sigmas discharging, the pack will be taken as low as 2,50 volt. This alone can cause falsepeaks. Either use another discharger with a cutoff at 0,9 volt pr. cell. Or simply monitor your pack, while discharging. Then stop the discharging manually, when 5,5 volt are reached.

Another issue, might be the wiring. The standardwiring on the Apex Sigma Plus are pretty poor. I had problems, when I switch to better wires, problems were gone.

I'm using the Apex Sigma Plus with Sanyo 3000 HV with good results. The Sigma (without the "Plus") arent NiMh compatible. However, a guy at our club uses it for Sanyo 3000 HV with good results. He charges at 4 amps.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:59 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

well some guy is selling one locally and it seems like a pretty good deal. so this charger shouldn't false peak the 3000?

my charger is the Sigma no plus, this guy at the track told me it should work with the Sanyo 3000 batteries no problem and he even let me try it on his pack. ANd it shouldn't be wiring because I can charge 1700, 2400 with no problem just the false peak with the sanyo 3000. no problem with the Sanyo 3000 if i heat them up first and then charge it.

Grizzbob: what is the cold start purpose used for anyways?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To do exactly what I said before, it disables any peak detection for about 5-6 minutes to reduce or eliminate the chance of a false peak happening, & then goes into regular peak detection mode(in the BC112's case, to "P" or "P0" mode)....
Old 12-10-2002, 01:07 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

hmm... so that cold start sounds like it would solve my problem with the false peak.