Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Lol, Ike. Early morning or late night?
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Buying whole set of wheels is definitely more expensive with prices like approx. 12 - 20 $ per pair. A pair of donuts is about 4 10 $ that is half the cost. You can true the donuts to your desired size or start at high rollout 55mm (plenty of life on donuts) for bashing on tarmac.

I 've got plenty of rims too, always cleaned and ready to be mounted. LRP, HPI, Kawada, GQ and some other asian brands are reasonably cheap. I get them from hobby shops in Malaysia, Singapore & Japan.

I use rubber glue, the type cobblers use, caveat emptor, some kids use it for sniffing. Glue them evenly before you true them and they won't be off balance or come apart. Factory mounted wheels go through the same process but only different level of workmanship.
HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #18
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

i was looking through all the websites given and the foam donuts where no where near the 4- 10 dollar range i love the idea od doing things yourself to save money but i do not see the same price points at you

WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

James35 and all,

Have look at

Take the RC racing link on the left and then choose "preislisten" on top, there you will find everything you need...

It's a German manufacturer, he has the whole range for donuts(&mounted) for I believe everything that can run on foam... He doesn't use the color codes just shore ratings, for my 12th scale I have almost ordered his full range (donuts only)
For Indoor(Europe - odourless) I go with shore 30 or 36 allround, maybe for higher grip tracks you can go for the harder compounds. I used to go with the CRC tyres but they are more expensive and it takes longer to get them here in Europe.

In my case (and I ain't that good +/- 1,5 sec a lap slower than European Top-drivers... but I'm gettin' better ) laptimes were similar, just needed to test different compounds to balance my car(CRC CK3,2R) again

Nice guy to work with, E-mail him as ordering online was not possible some weeks ago. He will reply to you quite fast. Also shipment to me (Belgium) was very fast, cheap and accurate, he even gave me an extra set to try out... (think it was some double compound, but don't have wheels for this right now)

I hope you can do something with this, I know its a europe thing but hey it works...
Nilezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Nilezb. This next ranting isn't against you Nilezb.

I fail to see why any business trying to sell something would have no pictures, pricing, and information on the product. It blows my mind. In most cases, it's laziness, lack of skill to update a website, or they are too cheap to pay someone to do it/ set up a program to make it easy to update.
CRC: Really bad on pictures. Most are missing. Descriptions are weak generally.
gp-speedtires.de: no pictures, no english, must contact for more info.
gqproduct.com: No pricing. Must contact them in order to find a place to purchase! Rediculous!
Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote