Wiki Posts
Search

LiPo Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Lightbulb LiPo Question

I have a ? on LiPo's. I have a Lipo 2 cell pack that I want to use as a reciever pack in my gas car. I also have a can of Plastidip. It is the stuff that you dip the ends of your tools in to rubberize them. What I want to do is this, I want to dip the LiPo pack in there to make it sealed to the elements/fuel. I have heard that these LiPo packs do not want to get wet and also that they need to breathe. Would I be putting myself or my car or my battery in any danger by doing this? I am sure that someone has had this same brilliant idea and has done it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Nobody knows anything about LiPo's?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

I know some one out there is LiPo saavy. Help a guy out.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think doing that will keep the pack from breathing. you defently dont want them to get hot, i would just put shrink wrap around it.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:33 AM
adz
Tech Regular

Li-Po's are a very black art at the moment. All I can tell you is what iv'e found out by liasing with thunder power and the company that manufactures Saehan cell.

Li-Po's Number one, NEVER over discharge it! Results can be dangerous.

Li-Po's Number two, Only charge at 1C of the pack rating.(ALLWAYS!)
-1C OF A 2000MAH LI-PO IS 2AMP & 1C OF 500MAH IF 0.5AMP.-

Li-Po's Number Three, All Li-Po's must be broken in!(there is a special way)

Li-Po's Number Four, Never fully seal a Li-Po cell. Beacuse under pressure when somthing goes horribly wrong and it deciedes to expand and when it wants to vent and it could explode like a fire cracker!
I have had a cell vent and catch on fire and it's one of the hardest small fires to put out Because after the fire is put out it can easly re-ignite!

Li-Po's are already air tight factory sealed. You don't want a li-po to vent!
If you want to keep it safe Keep it wrapped up in foam and out of harms way in a radio tray.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

I was thinking about making some little vents at both ends with some coffee stir sticks before I dip it. Would this be adequate? Maybe 4 on each end?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:08 AM
adz
Tech Regular

You could try it, But a li-po can rupture at any given side. The most common place that they do rupture is where the battery tabs come out of the cell.

I personaly would not like to try it but if you think it could work give it a go.
You would have to make sure that you check it during charge for excessive heat and or if the battery has had a knock whilst in use in the car.

Usually keeping an eye on it for around 15mins after a knock and keeping an eye on the li-po's phisical temp, and if there is no change in temp when charging it, it should be ok.

One last thing at any stage if the cell starts to swell, put it in salt water for at least 1 hour untill it cools down then fully discharge it then punch a hole with a nail right through the pack and dispose of it! don't try and use it again because it will over heat and swell straight away.