Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
Thats interesting, since rccardr's motors pull the same type of numbers, at leat from the ones that people bought around here.

These are the numbers i just pulled off one of my 3 race used silver cans. No shenanigans here...
2v 1.06 6450rpm
5v 1.21 16350 rpm
7.2v 1.36 23400 rpm

Edit. When did they change the rpm limits for the silver cans. I could be wrong, but I thought only Tamiya Canada had strict amp draw limits and Tamiya USA did not. But thats not a big deal, cause the 13.5k is even easier to achieve.
5 Volts 16,350 RPM on the 540J motor that is TCS legal from Tamiya and no Shinannigans I call BS thats impossible to achieve with out the advancement of Timing. I can't speak for everyone but several of the guys on this site that know what they are doing and what there talking about I think would agree. Remember the word is ANY TIMING ADVANCEMENT through magnetic, crank, or zap its not possible. But like someone said that motor is great for club racing and Tamiya has developed a new rule to bring the racing closer to driver and setup rather then 80% horsepower.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 SirSwiftAlot. A Tamiya Black Sport Tuned would probably do 22,000+ @7.2v (this is a mild 23T with advanced timing motor). I use a Robotronics dyno.

Mabuchi/johnson (27T motor with retarted timing built in by design) doing these numbers cannot be legal in the spirit of the rules. Maybe if you run the motor clockwise... it might get close to a Sport Tuned. Use a Tamiya M02 mini if your club allows it

Maybe better to race using Sport Tuneds to equalize things.

Last edited by rccartips; 04-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Question for the silver can gurus!

Seeing as the new rules for the AV TCS for GT3 and Mini are as follows:

5.0 Volts
The 540-J motor may not exceed 12,500 rpm and 1.2 amps

7.2 Volts
The 540-J motor may not exceed 18,000 rpm and 1.2 amps

per Fred @ Tamiya:

"The above numbers are meant to encourage running the motor right out of the box. The above numbers also take into consideration the motor brushes will eventually seat in and its rpm and amp draw will increase. RPM and AMP draw numbers exceeding these ranges are clearly suspect as they may only be obtained using rare earth magnets and fancy jigs to alter the motors magnetic field to advance its timing. This voodoo is what we want out of the TCS series and to promote a fair environment."

Does this mean I shouldn't water dip or otherwise break in my new 540J motors?

In other words, should I just take a new motor out of the box, drown the bushings and slap them in the car and go?
so................should I break in new motors?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
so................should I break in new motors?
It's sort of a crap shoot, but the hard brush motors won't be likely to exceed the rpm limit with just a dip. The soft brush motors have a chance...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's sort of a crap shoot
+10

If you're attending a TCS regional event that's using the Fred Motor Rule (and as far as I know, that's limited to Aliso and maybe Fremont), just take it out of the box, lube it, and put it in your car.

Other events using higher RPM (or no) limits, well...not so much.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Default Best ESC

Got an event on the weekend and a got new QC3 which my nephew just fried.. put a battery on it the wrong way. (didn't even get 1 use out of it.. just a nice smell)

So I know with 540 speedies don't make that much difference but what would be best out of the following speedies LRP Sphere TC, Keyence Rapida Pro, or a Tekin RS.. I am leaning towards the Sphere.. but its very heavy.. has anyone tested these speedies to see if one is better then the other or would they pretty much all perform the same..

Cheers
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by warnos
Got an event on the weekend and a got new QC3 which my nephew just fried.. put a battery on it the wrong way. (didn't even get 1 use out of it.. just a nice smell)

Cheers
You may still be OK if your lucky
I did the same on my old LRP AI.
Just opened it up, removed the burned out diode & it sprang back into life.
Didnt even have to replace the diode

Worth a look at least
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
It's sort of a crap shoot, but the hard brush motors won't be likely to exceed the rpm limit with just a dip. The soft brush motors have a chance...
Originally Posted by rccardr
+10

If you're attending a TCS regional event that's using the Fred Motor Rule (and as far as I know, that's limited to Aliso and maybe Fremont), just take it out of the box, lube it, and put it in your car.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. And yes, the Aliso events are the ones I go to.

I forget...how do you tell if you have the hard or soft brushes?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I know with 540 speedies don't make that much difference but what would be best out of the following speedies LRP Sphere TC, Keyence Rapida Pro, or a Tekin RS.. I am leaning towards the Sphere.. but its very heavy.. has anyone tested these speedies to see if one is better then the other or would they pretty much all perform the same..

Cheers
I presumed you had a brushless side requirment when you mentioned the Sphere, and then you mentioned the keyence, and then back to the RS. Umm? Do you want to be able to run brushless or not?

I'm just going to guess you're answer will be not, based on the rapida pro suggestion - in which case, my recomendation is not for any of the above. Tekin Fx.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I forget...how do you tell if you have the hard or soft brushes?
I think it's red dot soft white dot hard.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

no sorry I have all of these speedies and I was wondering if anyone had tested to see if one was better then the other or what peoples opinions were.. I will try and repair my QC3 but need a speedie to use at a competition this weekend.. and I have these three speedies to choose from..

Thanks for your help..

Originally Posted by monstercol
I presumed you had a brushless side requirment when you mentioned the Sphere, and then you mentioned the keyence, and then back to the RS. Umm? Do you want to be able to run brushless or not?

I'm just going to guess you're answer will be not, based on the rapida pro suggestion - in which case, my recomendation is not for any of the above. Tekin Fx.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

no sorry I have all of these speedies and I was wondering if anyone had tested to see if one was better then the other or what peoples opinions were.. I will try and repair my QC3 but need a speedie to use at a competition this weekend.. and I have these three speedies to choose from..

Thanks for your help..

Pick the smallest, lightest one. You won't see a performance difference with any of these on a silver can. The RS worked great when I needed it for my guest driver Mini.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hey guys im trying to hook my tekin up to this silver can and all im getting is flashing lights. Could someone help me out here.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Set your throttle neutral trim to zero.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
+10

I think the 12.5k motor rule is only at Aliso. Fremont was unlimited as Swifty won there the last two years with one of my motors. You know that one of the secrets to building a fast motor is to put it in the hands of a highly skilled driver with great chassis set up abilities. It isn't about just horse power, altho, it really does help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.