Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

what is the red dot motor and is it going to be faster than the motors the trackside guys have LOL
Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wallstreet, if you don't mind I'm going to paraphrase a previous post because it's still relevant.

Red Dot motors are new 540J's that I tune for racing applications. I've been racing R/C for 2 decades (including ten times to the Trackside TCS events) and figured out some of the secrets of these silver cans years ago. For several years I just tuned motors for myself and friends, and sold a few to racers against whom I wasn't going to be competing. We won a lot of races. But now I'm older, my reaction times and vision are fading, and frankly even the fastest motor isn't going to help me out a whole lot.

So I decided last year that it would be entertaining to spread the power around to some discriminating racers who appreciate how difficult it is to make these little demons fast (really fast), know how to maintain them, and are willing to make the investment to win a few races.
I went out and bought a bunch of specialized equipment and a couple cases of motors (most of which got ruined and were trashed) and went to work.

Each motor is engraved with a unique number (so I can keep track of it while it's going through the tuning process and the buyer can tell it apart from his other motors) and has a red dot painted on the positive side of the can so you know where to solder the positive lead. Hence the name.

Yes, my motors are as fast - or faster- as anything you'll see at Trackside. You might even be surprised if you ask around how many are already using my motors up there. But you were at the TCS and saw Marty's dominance in F103GT and Steve Kalk's amazing drives in GT3- those were both Red Dot Powered cars.

Interested folks find it easier to reach me at [email protected], even if they just want to chat about stuff like this or run their ideas past me. Feel free.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I heard that Doc was coming out with a limited edition of the dual red dot and the tri dot motors its supposed to be way faster than the single red dot motors. I guess word is that they won't be available untill around June 9,th or something like that.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

For everyone that's been contacting me about the availability of 2- or 3-dot motors, these are a figment of Brandon's imagination. No such beast exists.

I'm continually discovering new minor performance improvements, all of which are incorporated as running changes to the production line. That means that when you buy a Red Dot motor, you can be confident that 1) it's been tuned using the very latest in silver can upgrade methodology, and 2) everyone gets an equal opportunity to purchase a motor capable of winning at the very highest level of closed endbell competition.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

For anyone who's interested, the latest batch of Red Dot motors is done and ready to ship. If you're running at the Union City TCS race and need a fast silver can for your mini, GT3 or F103GT, give me a shout. We had Red Dots in every A Main at Memphis including TQ in Mini and a win in F103GT (OK, maybe that one's not such a big deal ), as well as a bunch in the B's.

This batch includes a couple of motors that fit the Canadian rules for amp draw at 2 volts (one of my Canadian customers placed on the podium at last week's TCS regional, so these work well for the Canadian TCS series)

Best way to reach me is through e-mail at [email protected]
Old 05-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like everybody is running red-dothead motors (except myself) no more reason to come here and talk about johnson/mabuchi motors...
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know about that. My e-mail box is full of messages every day from people who want to talk about ways to make these little buggers faster.

But I'd also like to see this thread pick up again in popularity. There are LOTS of talented folks out there tuning their own motors (like you, Jeff)- let's hear from you!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Found a neat little motor fan by 3Racing that is a simple one screw installation. They are for Minis and can be installed in about 10 min. including soldering the leads. I think they are essential especially for the "hotter" motors like the Red Dots and for Black cans. Simply put, cooler motors run better and last longer or Heat kills.

Jeff at Speedtech rc and Tomie at Fusion Hobbies stock them. I bought the last ones Jeff had, but he told me he'd have some more shortly. Also Associated makes a fan that will bolt right on the 3Racing bracket. I'm told that the Associated fan is better so plan on making the switch myself later.

For those of you that haven't tried a Red Dot motor, be prepared to be spanked by one. I'm still trying to "tune" my own, but have a couple of Red Dots in my arsenal. Doc, nice guy that he is, has helped me in my tuning experiments.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

if these motors are sealed....what do u do when the brushes go bad? throw it out and get a new one?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seloiv
if these motors are sealed....what do u do when the brushes go bad? throw it out and get a new one?
yes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seloiv
It is sad, but true.....
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Word of warning to anyone doing a water dip break in on the newest generation of the 540Js #53689. The brushes are very soft and break in very quickly. I'd suggest 10 sec. at a time and changing the water each time. It only takes 30 to 40 sec. If you don't change the water, the amp draw goes way up and the motor doesn't run worth a darn. Have my theories, but can't say with any certainty. Had a motor do this and only salvaged it by a cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner and Simple Green.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Too the rccardr

Now I know up here in the great white north that our motors are being teched by the Tamiya Canada Reps to ensure that they don't run over 1.3 amps. How does your motors compare to the TCS rules and is there any evidence that the motor has be tampered with?

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Paul, we do have Red Dot motors specifically tuned for the Canadian TCS series that are unopened, completely legal, and fall within the 1.3 amp/2volt rule. It wasn't easy and I screwed up a LOT of motors in the process .

Right now our Mini/F103GT Red Dots for Canada are turning around 15,000 RPM at 5 volts and pulling around 1.1 amps at 2 volts . That's less than our US-spec motors, but you just can't get more power without drawing more amps at 2 volts than the Canadian rules allow.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Very true, Granpa. BTW, did you get my e-mail?

There are actually two 540J cores out there right now. One has very soft brushes- these can be identified by looking at the printing on the side of the can- it's very small- and by the red nylon pip on the endbell at the positive lead. The other has very, very hard brushes- these can be identified by the printing on the side of the can- it's the normal height- and the positive lead pip on the endbell is white. We have not found any performance or longevity advantage of one motor over the other: both can be made very fast & both will croak if you cook 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.