Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've heard the newer cans were certainly better. Wish we were still running them, sometimes. Brushless has been a real blessing for us here. The only thing I used silver cans for now is in my trail truck or nostalgic practice laps with my mini.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

That hasn't been our experience here. What we've been noting is that the motors are the slowest on their first run out of the box. This is both in rpm testing and lap times.

Jim, the way Tamiya has chosen to introduce B/L to Mini for the TCS series could not be any worse. At the track this past Saturday, there was some motor testing being done. There were at least 5 different brands of motors, any number of different "tuning" rotors, different sensor plates etc. Some combinations were fast and some were even faster. Personally, I've decided to just "screw this" and am just going to use something I already have.

Give me a $15-20 Silvercan any day.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Maybe they'll get it right next year.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
silver cans are now the dodos of the RC world,
Not over here, we still run the silver can and the black sport tuned motors and there are no plans to change, still on NiMh and kit ESC too, we have had 29 drivers score points so far in this years championship so there is plenty of interest in the class. Now we not be at the cutting edge of the sport but if it ain't broke, why fix it ?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa

Jim, the way Tamiya has chosen to introduce B/L to Mini for the TCS series could not be any worse. At the track this past Saturday, there was some motor testing being done. There were at least 5 different brands of motors, any number of different "tuning" rotors, different sensor plates etc. Some combinations were fast and some were even faster. Personally, I've decided to just "screw this" and am just going to use something I already have.

Couldn't agree more and witnessed the wide difference in performance from various brushless motors and speed controls. For the event, I returned to running a stock Reedy Motor 21.5 versus another highly tuned brand which just didn't feel right in my car. I was off pace by 6-7tenths per lap (usually 2-3tenths as I don't race that often) but decided to just deal with it.

The rpm limit silver can was the best feature in M-Class. I hope Tamiya releases a spec speedo and brushless motor for future racing.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Brand new original 4-slot silver can, done. Those things are 18,300-18,500 out of the kit. I have an extra one if anybody wants it, only thing I did was check the rpm on my motor checker.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Couldn't agree more and witnessed the wide difference in performance from various brushless motors and speed controls. For the event, I returned to running a stock Reedy Motor 21.5 versus another highly tuned brand which just didn't feel right in my car. I was off pace by 6-7tenths per lap (usually 2-3tenths as I don't race that often) but decided to just deal with it.

The rpm limit silver can was the best feature in M-Class. I hope Tamiya releases a spec speedo and brushless motor for future racing.
Tamiya has started releasing kits with brushless RTR systems recently... who knows. We may see a spec system in the future.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

...if it ain't broke, why fix it ?
You're very fortunate that silver can racing "ain't broke" there, as it became very much so here. When it gets to the point where people will spend $150 per weekend on affordable kit style motors, it's broke. With the advent of complete, fixed rpm BL systems becoming available for half that price, it was a no brainier for us.

Ran a silver can a few weeks back in my m04. I miss that instant yet mushy throttle response.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
That hasn't been our experience here. What we've been noting is that the motors are the slowest on their first run out of the box. This is both in rpm testing and lap times.

Damn that sucks Granpa! I can relate to your pain. I would have done the same thing. Mini as a whole in our state is doing ok. Silver can is the rule and everyone likes it.

On another note, I had been running a CS stamped Silver can forever.... it was my best one, very torquey, but it lacked a little RPM. Now finally after two years of running it it is softening and getting some speed! Funny how these brushed motors work.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Just got my mitts on one of Doc's (Mertes) full race Red Dots. Came with a car I bought last night. haven't tested it yet. Something I'm really impressed with is the R1 Wurks endbell fan. Nice piece of engineering and an insanely fast fan.

Can't wait to do some test laps on the weekend! Test laps only, sadly.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

double post

Last edited by monkeyracing; 01-25-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Just got my mitts on one of Doc's (Mertes) full race Red Dots. Came with a car I bought last night. haven't tested it yet. Something I'm really impressed with is the R1 Wurks endbell fan. Nice piece of engineering and an insanely fast fan.

Can't wait to do some test laps on the weekend! Test laps only, sadly.
Hate to break the bad news Jim, but Doc's wundermotors are short lived on the track. I have used several, and for me they last for about a race weekend - I would use the previous race-day finals motor for the 4 rounds of qualifying and swap in a new one for mains. After that, they are nothing more than decent silvercans...
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

There might be a reason for that. It sounds as if you never ran the motor in the right spot of it's powerband. Just guessin', but if you were running it on a smaller track, that's not what that type of motor was designed and built for. A motor that's taching 28k+ needs a bigger track. From what Jim has said about the tracks you typically run on, a 21 to 23k motor is probably best.

In that state of tune, the rpm to time curve is nearly linear in comparison to a stock motor. Even then you need a straight that's at least 2sec. long to have the motor peak out. An ultra hi rpm motor will be "lugging" off the powerband, getting hot and "burning" up.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Well, won't be running it more than a few minutes before I shelve it or sell it. You are right, Bob, we run short tracks. Lap times are in the 9-13 second range in minis. I am curious to see how it would fare with a smaller pinion. I suspect it'd be a lot like a regular can with a 20t.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The new silvercan. What is the best way to break them in. Have heard water or root beer or can I do this to 1 of the 8 used silver cans that I have There is just 2 guys at the track that are way faster down the straight and can actually pull out and pass anyone else
After losing them through the corners it really suck to get passed on a straight. We run fdr of 5.75

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.