Wiki Posts
Search

We need the "Magic" Back!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default We need the "Magic" Back!!

Who here thinks we should get Joel "Magic" Johnson out of retirement and race for one more time!

Wouldnt it be great to watch "Old School" Vs "New Age" racers compete against each other! Joel vs Rehinhard. Now that would be a race to watch.

We should drum up some support to get Magic out and race for one more time maybe at an event like the upcoming Worlds.

Edward
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

He already has. He just raced 1/8 scale onroad at the Winternats in Florida. He got 8th in the c-main. This is an international event with some seriously fast racers.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Wouldnt it be great to watch "Old School" Vs "New Age" racers compete against each other! Joel vs Rehinhard. Now that would be a race to watch
What are you gonna spot Joel a lap. Dude no disrespect to Joel he's one of the Greatest R/C drivers ever, but right now Rehinhard is on another level. When I started racing Joel Johnson was the man but he's been in and out of retirerment for what 5 or 6 years. I'm sure if he was running all the time again he'd be an A-main driver at the nats but run with Rehinhard or Hara I'm not so sure of.

just my opinion
Roly
Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Better idea... Joel Johnson for ROAR President...

Who better.. Top level competitor. Knows the business end of things.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No disrespect to Joel, but we need our lifer stock drivers to step up and run mod. Guys that show they can run with the big boys, but dont....

That will help the US in worldwide racing competetiveness.

Now that would be some "Magic"
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I raced against Joel a few times last year. Stock touring on carpet with foams, and 19turn asphalt, He was still very fast on asphalt, wicked fast. With a Jrxs at the time.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I raced against Joel a few times last year. Stock touring on carpet with foams, and 19turn asphalt, He was still very fast on asphalt, wicked fast. With a Jrxs at the time.
Me Too!!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Who here thinks we should get Joel "Magic" Johnson out of retirement and race for one more time!

Wouldnt it be great to watch "Old School" Vs "New Age" racers compete against each other! Joel vs Rehinhard. Now that would be a race to watch.

We should drum up some support to get Magic out and race for one more time maybe at an event like the upcoming Worlds.

Edward
joel, the dunn brothers, losi jr, nesinger, lett.. hehe. bring them all back for a "blast from the past" race
Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Lots of "old skool"drivers are still active in the rc world. Cliff Lett is still working for AE, Jamie Booth (UK) is still racing but in 1/8 offroad, Jay Halsey works and races for Ofna, Joel Johnson is writing articles for a magazine, Rick Hohwart has its own company Peakracing, Phil Booth is still working for Schumacher for R&D. Jack Johnson is probably still working for Team Losi same as Gil and Pops Losi. Some "old skool"drivers are still A main drivers: Craig Drescher (started when he was 13yrs!!) and off course the master himself Masami Hirosaka which attended the 1/10 worlds in 1987 and still races up front!! Masami started at Yokomo at the customerservice where ehe was responsible for contacts with hobbyshops in Japan. Today he is working for the R&D of Yokomo.
Most of the guys from that time have a family now instead of being single. Yep we're getting old!but sill competitive
Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Lots of "old skool"drivers are still active in the rc world. Cliff Lett is still working for AE, Jamie Booth (UK) is still racing but in 1/8 offroad, Jay Halsey works and races for Ofna, Joel Johnson is writing articles for a magazine, Rick Hohwart has its own company Peakracing, Phil Booth is still working for Schumacher for R&D. Jack Johnson is probably still working for Team Losi same as Gil and Pops Losi. Some "old skool"drivers are still A main drivers: Craig Drescher (started when he was 13yrs!!) and off course the master himself Masami Hirosaka which attended the 1/10 worlds in 1987 and still races up front!! Masami started at Yokomo at the customerservice where ehe was responsible for contacts with hobbyshops in Japan. Today he is working for the R&D of Yokomo.
Most of the guys from that time have a family now instead of being single. Yep we're getting old!but sill competitive
lol.

i remember now pics of Moore E of MIP racing along side with Gil Jr, Steve Dunn, Halsey and oh...

Remember when Masami and Kinwald were racing back in the day.. hyuk.. them two youngins.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, Larry's right...Cuffs, Latif and I raced with Joel week in/week out at Jackson R/C on asphalt for probably two to three months. I know for sure Jeff beat Joel at least once and I qualified a close 2nd behind him at the Trinity event in 19T last year.

He was super smooth and had a great knowledge of setup, but after I (and the others) got reacquainted with asphalt on rubber tires last year we were running almost a full lap faster than he had ran earlier in the season on the same layout with or without VHT.

Last edited by Jon Williams; 02-27-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
SRS
Tech Rookie

joel is also the president of kyosho corporation of america.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCMits
lol.

i remember now pics of Moore E of MIP racing along side with Gil Jr, Steve Dunn, Halsey and oh...

Remember when Masami and Kinwald were racing back in the day.. hyuk.. them two youngins.
I remember Eugene for bringing tuningparts for the RC10. I remember he designed the three gear tranny for the RC10.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Joel has also been racing some Nitro down at Revelation Raceway in Clairmont California. He is pretty damn fast with that 8th scale. I dont think he has what it takes to keep up with Darin Ishitani or Mike Swauger, but he is fast. I think he lives down in that area. It was quite an honor to watch him race though. At one point in the main his pit guy screwed up and flamed him out/fouled his plug. Put him like 6 laps down, Needless to say, it was an impressive win. I think that was the Toys 4 Tots race.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
I remember Eugene for bringing tuningparts for the RC10. I remember he designed the three gear tranny for the RC10.
You forgot his name is Eustace, not Eugene.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.