R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI racing.com's forum is back? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/10397-hpi-racing-coms-forum-back.html)

reflekt 12-05-2002 09:15 PM

HPI racing.com's forum is back?

i just noticed that it came back. that used to be my main forum to check out. then after it closed down for a while (a long time actually), i just left it and found a new home at rctech.net's forum. but have u noticed how every single forum at hpi's has a "guest" who posted something? i mean..this "guest" just happened to ask every single possible question someone might ask. i think it's just HPI trying to get their forum starting up again;) . but anyway, i think their forum died when they closed it down for that time being. too bad though. was my fav forum at the time. but anyway, just wanted to let ya'll kno. Peaches.

kilokhan 12-05-2002 09:27 PM

Nop is still down
Wuts the url ?

newracer 12-05-2002 10:23 PM

there is a forum but you can only post questions, not replies

reflekt 12-05-2002 10:28 PM

here's the url..

http://www.hpiracing.com/rcforum/index.php?s=

futureal 12-05-2002 10:43 PM

As Frank (or whoever, just assuming it was him) posted after their forum shut down, their new system is meant as only a Q&A support system for HPI products.

You probably noticed that on their old forum, at least 25% of the posts were complaints and 50% of the posts had nothing to do with HPI at all. It's not at all a surprise that they would shut it down and replace it with something more useful to their customers.

reflekt 12-05-2002 11:03 PM

Originally posted by futureal
As Frank (or whoever, just assuming it was him) posted after their forum shut down, their new system is meant as only a Q&A support system for HPI products.

You probably noticed that on their old forum, at least 25% of the posts were complaints and 50% of the posts had nothing to do with HPI at all. It's not at all a surprise that they would shut it down and replace it with something more useful to their customers.

i agree with that. but i also think (especially as a person who experienced what the "old" hpi forum was like) that the old hpi forum brought together all types of R/C'ers. From ppl who race, the old TC3's, to Pro 2's 3's, to the new Evo2's, the TRF414M's, and so on. what their new system does now, is narrow down the huge gathering of knowledge/opinions/comments to just ppl who run HPI's? Plus, they DID have "Q&A" forums. as well as newbie r/c forums. so then i dont kno whats up? i think a site like this (rctech), with a collection of forums like this is the BEST. It creates a large Community. HPI's old forum still wasn't as varied (it didnt allow selling either, in ANY form/way) as rctech's, but at least it was broad to an extent. You could get HELP from everyone. but then again, i'm sure it wasn't HPI's goal to get their "old" forum to be like it had. but hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it. i guess complaints were there, but i never noticed them? anyway, go rctech!:nod: peaches.

popsracer 12-05-2002 11:21 PM

HPI Forum is Still Dead

I will almost bet money, that the REAL reason the HPI forum was closed, is because they got tired of seeing their products slammed on their own website. HPI should wake-up and smell the coffee. Work on fixing these annoying little problems with their Cars & Trucks. Hopefully the Savage will be a step in the right direction.

Cole Trickle 12-05-2002 11:51 PM

Re: HPI Forum is Still Dead

Originally posted by popsracer
I will almost bet money, that the REAL reason the HPI forum was closed, is because they got tired of seeing their products slammed on their own website. HPI should wake-up and smell the coffee. Work on fixing these annoying little problems with their Cars & Trucks. Hopefully the Savage will be a step in the right direction.
Well said. At my opinion, they nowadays are too focused on money and too little about Sport. Kinda lost the spirit. But you have a point about the Savage, it seems very promising. Now, go for it HPI.

icon 12-06-2002 01:32 AM

the "new forum" is amazingly stupid. it doesnt answer any questions at all and at best gives a very broad generalized response. most of the response can be found on the FAQ section in HPI anyways, so why bother? whoever is the brain child behind the HPI's new help forum needs to rethink their new forum design.

at least HPI's new help forum follows the same trend as its "Pro" cars (Pro 2 to Pro 3). @$$ backwards in development.

lee82gx 12-06-2002 02:50 AM

forum's on....

it's (partially) still on.
go to hpi-europe.com and click on the forum link.
but u cant talk bout everything , u can only talk bout HPI stuff
.There are some good ppl there but almost all are europeans
.I'm there too ;)

Wolf 12-06-2002 05:47 AM

What a pity!

The old HPI forum is very informative on RC cars. I mean the older version which have discussion area for all kinds and brands of RC cars. (Not just only a non-HPI xxx for all). Now, this new version is a joke, which should be called "Formal Q&A Room" There is no discussion of any kinds. :confused:

[I think in some way, this reflect the situation of their current breed of rc car such as the pro3 vs the pro2 or even pro]

Cole Trickle 12-06-2002 06:36 AM

Yep, it's a joke.

But fortunately, we got RCTech.net, so there's no need for crying.

By the way, I like the tone here, friendly and helpfull.

Frank McKinney 12-06-2002 07:48 AM

I guess no one bothered to check out the question "what happened to the old forum" in the General HPI FAQ section of the new FAQ Forum...it explains why we did what we did. Here's the link, so it's really easy for anyone to find it.

This sort of thing (people not reading the info, just making assumptions based on incomplete information) is part of what shut down the old forum. The way we have the FAQ Forum now lets official HPI answers get out, not a dozen guesses or posts with bad information to answer a legitimate question.

The new forum isn't meant to be a place to chat and argue and moan, that's the sort of slack the other forums on the net can worry about - we want to answer questions about our product. If a question isn't asked, then ask it yourself, if it's a good question then we'll answer it and it will be part of the database.

It's not surprising to me that futureal is one of the few guys who's posted so far that understands why we did what we did. I'm sure Joel at Trinity understands too, as well as the entire Traxxas R&D and Marketing departments.

Frank McKinney
HPI USA

reflekt 12-06-2002 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
Unfortunately the high volume of threads created a situation where the most important information became difficult to find. The same questions were constantly being asked (and answered) because the threads scrolled off the front page too quickly, which was frustrating for new users, forum veterans and moderators.
this indeed, was VERY true. a big difference between how rctech's forums go along and how HPI's went is this. Say for example, there is a Associated TC3 thread on rctech. this thread is usually "standalone". meaning, there aren't too many other TC3 threads, cuz this is where allll the source of infomration is. and where everyone who might have a tc3, asks questions and what not. however, on HPI's old forum it was like a catastrophe. there wasn't any ONE TC3 dedicated thread. it was more like a billion TC3 threads. So ppl were constantly making new threads, asking the same questions over and over. and you'd have ppl who are annoyed by this giving replies like, "why dont u do a search instead of posting a new thread" in unfriendly like ways. so yeah, i think that alone was a big problem.

however, i myself do have one comment about rctech's threads. when i search for some help on my TRF414M2, and i get some results. and there's like...one i can click on , the big "trf414M thread", it's like....50-60 pages long! and it's hard to find that info when u gotta sift through all those pages. haha. but well, at least i got to see what EVERYONE has said about the 414M, lol. not a complaint, just thought that was funny. how many of you have done this?? haha. peaches.

Cole Trickle 12-06-2002 12:04 PM

Originally posted by reflekt
however, i myself do have one comment about rctech's threads. when i search for some help on my TRF414M2, and i get some results. and there's like...one i can click on , the big "trf414M thread", it's like....50-60 pages long!
When you do a search, there's a nice little featured called something like "show results as threads OR posts".