Views on Novak Millenium Pro charger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Views on Novak Millenium Pro charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Views on Novak Millenium Pro charger?

Anyone have any opinions/views regarding the Novak Millenium charger?

I've heard its charging of NiNH cells isn't that good, is this right?

Thanks

Edd.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Hi. Greetings from Malta.

I can't tell you whether it is good or not, because before I do that one would have to define GOOD.

What I can say is that Novak products generally are first class American quality, and they are bullitt proof.

We have used Novak chargers and speedos on our cars exclusively for some years now, and have absolutely no complaints.

Nimh cells are delicate with charging. If you mean that the Millenium is too sensitive to false peaks I would tend to agree with you. So are quite a few other top end chargers on the market. It's not such a bad thing.

However I would rather have a charger that shuts off slightly early after which I can push the button again, rather than have a charger that roasts my cells every time.

I suspect that's what you mean - the cut off is a bit marginal. But that is only so that it doesn't harm your cells.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up Millenium Pro

Nimh cells are delicate with charging. If you mean that the Millenium is too sensitive to false peaks I would tend to agree with you. So are quite a few other top end chargers on the market. It's not such a bad thing.
Well put John

However I would rather have a charger that shuts off slightly early after which I can push the button again, rather than have a charger that roasts my cells every time.

Yes better safe than sorry...

I have 2 Milleium Pro's and I love them to death....But my Pitbull is running a close second

-Dave

Last edited by JDM_DOHC_SiR; 12-05-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

You can charge NiMH fine with the Millenium Pro. The only thing is, you can't use the Novak NiMH2 charge profile to charge them. It only works if you charge the batteries at a very low amperage. If you wanna get the charger to charge NiMH perfectly, create a custom profile and select NiCD as the cell you are charging. Then set the peak detection to 4mV per cell/24mV per pack. It should charge the batteries perfect with a warm, and I mean barely warm, to touch temperature.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

I have used the NIMH2 profile to charge my Panasonic packs with no problems, charging at 5 amps.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Every new Panasonic UltraMetal I tried to charge false peaked using the NiMH2 profile... I dunno.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Fit
Tech Apprentice

I have one too and I think its a good charger.
I like its relatively small size, the backlit display
and its adjustability and simplicity.

I do not know how well it charges NIMH cells coz I don't have
NIMH cells. But from what I read from the mags, their reviews
regarding NIMH charging seems to be good.

The only thing that I think it lacks is a discharge feature and most importantly peak detection lock out for the first few minutes of charging.

It is very irritating when charging old cells as it will false peak very often if I charge above 3.5 amps. I have to lower the amp rate and after the voltage stabilises then I stop the charging and turn up the amps.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

FIT. My sentiments exactly, except that I am not so fussy about the discharging as I have other dischargers that I use. But yes it would certainly be useful.

AEON. What sort of amperages are you suggesting. I have always used the NIMH profile and have often charged at 5amps and above. I also happen to be using Panasonic UMH cells.

The way I treat them is as follows:

Firstly I leave the cells as they came out of the race car, and put them away that way. We race every couple of weeks so they are standing still all that time. They usually have perhaps a minute left in them.

On race day I discharge them first, then charge - usually from 4 to 5.5 amps depending on the application and the time I have in hand. I then peak at 6.5 or 7 amps once.

Anyone got any better ideas? It would be interesting to hear how others do it.

What I have noticed is that because I have left them still for almost 4 weeks they have not given me the same figures. I have now cycled them 3 times and the figures are coming up again. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Everytime I've tried to charge my UMH's on the NiMH2 profile, any amperage above 1.5 would result in a false peak. It might just be that the cells were never charged before, but none the less they false peaked. Using the custom setup, I've had no problems charging the UMH's. I can go as high as 7 amps and they still don't get overly warm. The charger starts to get warm though.

As for charging technique, I usually just leave whatever charge is left in cells after I race. If I'm not going to be racing the following week, I will put about 10-15 minutes of charge back into them, and then store them. Before I charge them, I discharge them using the light bulb setup, let them sit for about 30 minutes, then I throw them onto the discharge tray and get each cell down equally. After that's done I almost immediately throw it onto the charger. I always charge about an hour or two before my race. Then, right before my race begins, I throw it back onto the charger to get an extra little bit of voltage into the cells. Usually charge @ 5 amps for stock and 4 amps for modified. This seems to be working fairly well for me.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

AEON.

We seem to be on pretty much the same system.

What amperage do you peak at?

Now back to Milleniums. There are actually 3 types that I know of. There is the original millemium - with the buttons. There is the original Pro, and if it's a fairly recent one you will find that it has been programmed slightly differently, which allows it to be more tolerant with NIMH. It was just a running change.

My 2 are the first Millenium Pros. I spoke to Novak about it and they said they could update them but I would have to send them to their base in Irvine, USA - which in my case means half way across the World, so I have left them as they are.

I also have a Pro Trak charger, which is a very sophisticated bit of kit, and that too will false peak with new NIMH cells sometimes.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

The two different novak millenium pros you are talking about. "old" and "newer" version. i've noticed that my millenium pro has "clear" blue and red wires. while i've seen another millenium pro have solid red and blue wires. and of course, when u turn on the charger, it says "millenium pro version 1.083" or something. what's the newer version? cuz i'd rather have mine updated if it's the older one. especially since i live like 15 minutes away from novak . peaches.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by johnbull

Now back to Milleniums. There are actually 3 types that I know of. There is the original millemium - with the buttons. There is the original Pro, and if it's a fairly recent one you will find that it has been programmed slightly differently, which allows it to be more tolerant with NIMH. It was just a running change.

The 2 that I have are newer ... But when you start them up one pops up version 1.1 and the one that I bought 6 months ago pops up version 1.2..

They both do pretty well charging the UMH's I charge mine at 5.0 and have only had 4 or 5 false peaks between the two of them in over 50 charges

-Dave
Old 12-06-2002, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I've just had a look at what my Millenium Pros say. They both say Version 1.00.032. Now I know for a fact that these are the original batch of Millenium Pros. Charlie had confirmed this to me a while ago.

As for the clear blue and red wires, Novak started using them more recently so you could find that yours is a newer version, but I may be wrong.

REFLEKT. What you could do is phone Charlie at Novak - seeing as you are so near, and ask him. And please let us know his reply.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Hello everyone,

The "Original" Millennium had no version number indication at power up. Its voltage threshold can only be adjusted down to 8mV/Cell.

The Original Millennium Version 1.20 came out a few months after, the only difference is it shows Version 1.20 at power up and the voltage threshold can be adjusted down to 4mV/cell

The Millennium Pro has 4 different versions of software, menu and function wise they are the same. The First two version 1.00.032, and 1.01.034 are virtually the same and both need to updated to the newest version, the difference is in the NiMH2 mode. In the two latest versions 1.02.036 and 1.03.039 the NiMH2 is slightly different preventing many of the false peaks that the newer Sanyo cells experience. The two later numbers perform identically. Anyone owning either of the first two software versions can have them updated at no charge. Just send the charger in with the proper Service Form from the Service Section of the teamnovak.com website. The wires did change after the first few months, the current model features the Clearish blue and red charge leads. We do not offer a wire upgrade.

Brand new packs almost always false peak. Usually because they have been sitting on a shelf someplace with a partial charge in it. We have had the best luck with our packs by discharging them before they are charged. I have been using similar methods to what JohnBull and Aeon use. I even use a equalizing tray from time to time. It seems that constant use of a tray shortens cell life, but periodic use will allow for similar performance with longer cell life. Our recommended methods have been posted to the teamnovak.com tech info section.

Basically store the packs in a discharged state if I use them every week. If they will be in storage for more than 2 or 3 weeks, I like to put a few minutes of charge into them. Before I begin charging for practice or a race, I put the pack into a discharge tray that cuts off at around .3 volts per cell. Then charge pack in the NiMH2 mode at 5-7 amps depending on what type of NiMH cell it is. Best pack Life span is typically achieved at lower charge rates. After the run the pack is discharged to .9 volts per cell for storage. I have run packs more than once a day, but they seem to perform best if used once a day.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop a line.
Thanks for you time,
Charlie Suangka
[email protected]
Novak Electronics,
Irvine CA USA
www.teamnovak.com
Ph# 949-833-8873
Fx# 949-833-1631
Old 12-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Hello everyone,

The "Original" Millennium had no version number indication at power up. Its voltage threshold can only be adjusted down to 8mV/Cell.

The Original Millennium Version 1.20 came out a few months after, the only difference is it shows Version 1.20 at power up and the voltage threshold can be adjusted down to 4mV/cell

The Millennium Pro has 4 different versions of software, menu and function wise they are the same. The First two version 1.00.032, and 1.01.034 are virtually the same and both need to updated to the newest version, the difference is in the NiMH2 mode. In the two latest versions 1.02.036 and 1.03.039 the NiMH2 is slightly different preventing many of the false peaks that the newer Sanyo cells experience. The two later numbers perform identically. Anyone owning either of the first two software versions can have them updated at no charge. Just send the charger in with the proper Service Form from the Service Section of the teamnovak.com website. The wires did change after the first few months, the current model features the Clearish blue and red charge leads. We do not offer a wire upgrade.

Brand new packs almost always false peak. Usually because they have been sitting on a shelf someplace with a partial charge in it. We have had the best luck with our packs by discharging them before they are charged. I have been using similar methods to what JohnBull and Aeon use. I even use a equalizing tray from time to time. It seems that constant use of a tray shortens cell life, but periodic use will allow for similar performance with longer cell life. Our recommended methods have been posted to the teamnovak.com tech info section.

Basically store the packs in a discharged state if I use them every week. If they will be in storage for more than 2 or 3 weeks, I like to put a few minutes of charge into them. Before I begin charging for practice or a race, I put the pack into a discharge tray that cuts off at around .3 volts per cell. Then charge pack in the NiMH2 mode at 5-7 amps depending on what type of NiMH cell it is. Best pack Life span is typically achieved at lower charge rates. After the run the pack is discharged to .9 volts per cell for storage. I have run packs more than once a day, but they seem to perform best if used once a day.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop a line.
Thanks for you time,
Charlie Suangka
[email protected]
Novak Electronics,
Irvine CA USA
www.teamnovak.com
Ph# 949-833-8873
Fx# 949-833-1631

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.