Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dry Ice ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Have you guys heard about the Much More motor coolers? A little more expensive than ice ($79.99) but much easier to bring to a race!

Jake
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, its overkill.

Motor Fan should keep it cool enough.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually the guys at the local club here use the MM motor cooler with great success. If you're running mod, it lets you gear up a little. The motors are also much cooler on the first few laps and have a definate power advantage.

Cooler with a fan alone is okay if you have the time, but the motor won't get below ambient. The MM cooler can get quite cold!...

The local shops here have basically run out of stock... as soon as a new batch arrives they get snapped up like that..
Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 PM
MTX
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
The cold temps are very good for it. You'll have lower resistance in the windings, higher magnetic field saturation and less power consumption. But the thing you have to worry about is thermal expansion. Even with the dry ice directly against the motor, it's going to heat up. Going from super cooled to 100+ degrees could stress the epoxy in the motor. Possibly causing your magnets to come loose from the can.

Tony
Make sense....
I might suggest not to apply the dry ice to modified motor which run high temp after the race. It would be best apply to stock motor.. Try run one or two batt in the practice session, just compare the result see if dry ice could boost up the lap time. After 1 batt.. check the condition of the can, brushes, and armature.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 PM
MTX
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by James35
Your skin can stick to it and have to be surgically removed and can cause serious burns at the very least if touched with the naked hand. Stay away from it. It gets the motor too cold anyway.

Not really, If you touch it for couple second it should not be a problem. unless if you leave it for couple minutes... Get the glove to handle the dry ice for safety reason.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:29 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MTX
Not really, If you touch it for couple second it should not be a problem. unless if you leave it for couple minutes... Get the glove to handle the dry ice for safety reason.
I agree with MTX. Many years back a friend of mine bought like 20lbs of it. About 50grams was used for a project presentation while the rest we wasted on "Stupid things you can do with dry ice before it dissappears". We had LOADS of fun with it. Yes, you can safely touch it for a few seconds. It doesn't stick to your hands and cause burns to the touch! I picked up a good number of pieces with my hands and it's a few seconds before it's unbearable to hold.

Did any of you know that if you put a piece of dry ice on a metal spoon and hold it by the far end of the handle, it makes a high pitch buzzing noise!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've done this with great success. I was putting the dry ice on the heatsink on my motor about 10 minutes before my race, and just letting it evaporate and taking form into the fins of the heatsink. I was doing this in 98 degree ambient air temps, with the track temps near 130 degrees (dirrect sunlight, mid day, August, California). Befor the race there would be ice forming on the heatsink from the moisture in the air it was so cold.The motor would come back about 20-30 degrees cooler that everyone else. I was also running a cooling fan. Twards the end of the race when other people's stuff would start to get heat fade my motor would keep going strong. This was my regular routene, but once i didn't get a chance to do it, and my car just felt a little sluggish. Never did I have a problem with magnets coming loose or any other problems.