R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New old guy with old car questions...:) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/103186-new-old-guy-old-car-questions.html)

micah 02-23-2006 05:55 PM

New old guy with old car questions...:)

Hey guys!
First off, please forgive my new guy ignorance as well as my thread (if it's in the wrong place).
A little background first...The car: Graphite RC10 that I bought new around 1988 or 89. My delima. The car has been in a box for about 16 yrs (approx.) and I now have a 4yr old boy that I would love to fix it up for so that we could have a little fun. It's been so long since I've messed with one of these things that I don't know where to start to fix it up. I originally only messed with it for a few months and from what I remember it ran pretty good when I put it up...but I want to update a couple things.
Can someone give me a few pointers as to what I might need? I know a new battery is a must. What kind? Also, an electric servo?
I don't want to dump a WHOLE lot of $$$ into it, but would like to get it up and going good enough not to have to worry with it a lot. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Micah

chicagokenji 02-23-2006 05:59 PM

tell us more

tell us what speed control, steering servo, motor, receiver and handheld radio that you have in it now. this info is alot more useful and you'll get better responses as to what you should do to make the old buggy fun again.

centax error! 02-23-2006 06:13 PM

...and a picture is worth a thousand words :)

micah 02-23-2006 06:34 PM

Here is a couple photos. 16yrs. of dust and all!
I hope this helps a little. When it comes to names of differant servos and speed controls... :weird: I'm a little lost.
As for the controler. I definantly went the wrong way with it. I have a 2 channel Futaba (one of those square jobs people use with airplanes). I know. Probably not the best thing and may update it as well if I can find something reasonable.
Micah
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9180/dsc010000tw.jpg

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3438/dsc010010rs.jpg

GrandeGixxer 02-23-2006 07:16 PM

Your servo, motor and reciever are all probably fine. You will want to get an electronic speed controller though. A good and cheap one isSpeed Controller. For a battery pack, Battery Pack . You will of course need a charger to charge the batteries, Peak Charger . If you want to upgrade to a different radio, AIrtronics Blazer .
I hope all this helps you. Let us know how it all works out. :tire:

YR4Dude 02-23-2006 11:35 PM

Forget it!! Keep it for the shelf or sell it to a collector on E-bay. It was a good car back then but it is not a good car for banging around anymore.

Chances are that you and your son will hit something that require replacing something on the car. As loved as the RC10 was there has to be a limit to things and they no longer make parts or stock parts for it anymore. Rather than to allow that to damper your fun, I suggest you consider anyone of the prepackaged RTR (Ready To Run) units out there available from your local hobby shop.

I don't recommend any specific brand because that should be left to your hobby retailer to advise you and there's plenty of them out there for you to select from. I know hashing out your old car could save you some bucks but today's RTRs are very economically priced and are packed with a lot of valueable basic extras. Besides, the amount of money that you may spend to rehash the old car could equal the amount it would cost you to buy a new RTR. Plus the newer cars are not only easier to drive but also easier and cheaper to maintain.

andsetinn 02-24-2006 12:50 AM

This car has some value as collectors item and spares are hard to get. Sell it on Ebay.

Use the money at the LHS and buy some RTR. If buggy is what you want, Associated, Losi, Duratrax and Traxxas all make good RTR buggies that aren't that expensive. Since the kid is only 4 a 100$ Tamiya should be enough for couple of years.

Motor City Hami 02-24-2006 07:04 AM

I say just charge it up and run it. It's for a 4 year old. When you break something, ask a local hobby shop to call associated to get you new parts. If they are out of stock, come back here and post looking for them. Maybe not in the onroad thread - try in the off road thread instead. Most of us have a bunch of this stuff sitting around in our basements.

If you want to be able to play with it longer, go get a new battery (cheap stick pack). Drive it until the speedo and motor both fry, then go get a Ready to Run kit from the hobby store. Sell your's online as a collector and call it a day. I really don't see any need to upgrade anything for a four year old if it still functions.

5thscaleracer 02-24-2006 08:09 AM

i say E-bay it to some one that can use it for his collection. you can get a good chunk of change... esepcially with that original body on it some one wants to make a mold of it for reproductions. I know of 2 local guys looking for just that model RC10 and they are watching E-bay like a Hawk!!!

Sell take the cash, go buy something new and fun or buy a new to you used RC car.

GrandeGixxer 02-24-2006 11:03 AM

For those of you not in the "know," Associated still has parts for these cars in stock. I just got a body and some suspension parts from them to restore my old "Gold Tub." They have just about all the parts for these cars still. :nod: