R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Mabuchi Break-in (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/102843-mabuchi-break.html)

CSeils 02-21-2006 05:57 AM

Mabuchi Break-in

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do to these mabuchi motors. I have water dipped (approx 20-30 min each direction), used tooth paste on the bushings, oiled, cleaned and polished the comm with brasso. I've added about 2,000 rpm's with no load. Is that about it or is there any other tricks i can do?

I have one motor that just screams, trying to get my other ones to do the same. I've read about other people zapping the magnets. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

*mini*racer* 02-21-2006 06:27 AM

theres a guy on this board that goes buy the name Cowboy Bob. You can PM him for some speed secrets. like turning something for more timing. or something like that. ;)

Steven Key 02-21-2006 08:05 AM

Carl,

If you picked up 2,000 RPM with your motor that is pretty outstanding. I have never been able to get more that about a 1,000 RPM gain with all the break-in stuff I have done.

Also, keep in mind that "tweeking" the timinig is not TCS Tamiya legal.

CSeils 02-21-2006 08:13 AM

I guess i should have mentioned that I want to keep the motor TCS legal.

2000 was a rough guess, I have a pretty old break in tuner, it doesn't have a load feature to measure rpm's correctly. I started at 13,000 (no load) and got up to around 16,000. My other (hot) motor started around 19,000.

Nicadrauspro4 02-21-2006 09:12 AM

CSeils

Are you talking about the silver-can Mabuchi stock motor that comes free with most Tamiya kits? Why waste your time trying to modify it? It's not worth your sweat. Get a 27T or a 23T motor instead.

We usually convert the stock Mabuchi into cooling fans. Customize a blade that will fit to it and create a a tripod of some sort to make it stand.

...just a suggestion.

:nod: :tire:

Sushi Man 02-21-2006 09:14 AM

buy a couple motors, pick the best.

corradopsi 02-21-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
CSeils

Are you talking about the silver-can Mabuchi stock motor that comes free with most Tamiya kits? Why waste your time trying to modify it? It's not worth your sweat. Get a 27T or a 23T motor instead.

We usually convert the stock Mabuchi into cooling fans. Customize a blade that will fit to it and create a a tripod of some sort to make it stand.

...just a suggestion.

because a silvercan mabuchi motor is the std motor thats legal in tamiya tcs classes, no stockers allowed. free racing, chance to win a free kit, good times with buddies, i think its all worth the agrivation of massaging a silver can.

CSeils 02-21-2006 09:50 AM

I guess i should have mentioned that I want to keep the motor TCS legal.
Okay..., so anyone else have any suggestions?

I'm just trying to get a few more RPM's. I'm not trying to cheat the TCS rules, I just want to work on my motor tuning skills and make another hot motor for my mini.

RCGaryK 02-21-2006 09:51 AM

Carl, gimme a call, I'll PM you my # :sneaky:

Nicadrauspro4 02-21-2006 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by corradopsi
because a silvercan mabuchi motor is the std motor thats legal in tamiya tcs classes, no stockers allowed. free racing, chance to win a free kit, good times with buddies, i think its all worth the agrivation of massaging a silver can.

Oh... I see. Don't the officials of Tamiya check the silver cans of each racers before the race starts? Like check the RPM with a motor checker?

CSeils 02-21-2006 09:55 AM

No, they don't check the RPM,s. But everyone that knows me knows I don't cheat. I just want to get a few more RPM's if possible. I just want to make sure that I have done all that I can to these things, the rest is up to me to drive the best I can.

RCGaryK 02-21-2006 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CSeils
the rest is up to me to drive the best I can.

Oh man, you're screwed then :ha: :lol:

CSeils 02-21-2006 09:58 AM

Hey, I paid to race. So what if I use the whole track :lol:

RCGaryK 02-21-2006 10:00 AM

Dude...TCS is FREE...sigh, much to learn you have my young padowan...

Nicadrauspro4 02-21-2006 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Dude...TCS is FREE...sigh, much to learn you have my young padowan...

Hey Gary,

Nice avatar. By the way, it's "padawan". May the Force be with you!