Wiki Posts
Search

New to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default New to brushless

I need some advice. I plan to update my cars to brushless, but want to purchase the system best suited to my needs. I am not a racer, but would consider it someday. I have three cars that I use on a regular basis. They are the following: T4, B4, TC3.

I would like to get the system that can handle a 7-cell but also have the fastest motor available. I have been leaning towards the Sphere/Neo-1 2-Star combination. Please advise.

Jason
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

A seven cell pack is really not needed if you buy the correct brushless setup for your needs, for what it's worth.

You mentioned that you're mostly bashing now.. so I'll assume that you'll be wanting to use the reverse on the esc. With that being the case, you may want to avoid the LRP Sphere - if you hit the brake and hold it for more than a tick the esc jams the motor into full reverse almost instantly. It's fine with reverse disabled, but the reverse is absolutely awful as-is.. it can't be adjusted at ALL on the esc, it's either on or off with the Sphere. The reverse is *great* on the Novak esc's, no issues there. Both brands have had some issues with reliability, we own both and haven't had problems with either. Once you settle on a brand, it'll just depend on how fast you want to go.. are you into big airport runway type speed runs or are you running them in general? If you want to use it in everything you've listed just go for a middle of the road BL motor, should be plenty fast in everything.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Addition Information

Thanks for the information. Although I am primarily bashing, I am accustomed to a speedo without reverse, and have been using it ever since I have built my first RC10T back in 1993.

I have considered the idea of going with the Sphere Competition with the 4-Star, but am reluctant to do so because I don't know if it can handle a B4/T4 even if they are both used primarily on the street. At this time, I'm also interested in the 2-Star to handle the offroad aspects of the B4/T4.

Also at this point, I have to continue using my 7-cells because I do not have the funds to buy new 6-cells for the GTB.

Again, any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A brushless with a seven cell would be a bit too fast for almost anyone. If possible take one cell of each pack, If you have seven packs you can make another one. It is a bit weird that the GTB's can only run six cells but if you can just pull a cell off it would be worth it, if not get an LRP.