Search
Like Tree1187Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 12:52 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glad to hear of your plan B. Sorry but I wouldn't know of such DCJs. New shorter arms?
Old 08-15-2021, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I finally (and a little surprisingly) had a 0.75 practice day. Unfortunately rain shut down the day with me having the car in the hand to put it on track…

My mood was way too good to be angry about the rain. Goal for this day was to find a harmonic setup, a trusty rear end and a car that can be pushed but stays calm. Sounds a little weird… I like to drive a little bit over the limit and need a car that rotates with ease and has a sharp turn in. All that did I find today.

In the first two runs, the car was a handful to drive. After checking the setup, I was disappointed by myself. Especially the rear was more wrongs than rights. Droop, shock length, camber, ride height… all total chaos or not there. I adjusted everything and made the front, too.

Now, the setup work could began. The rear loved to make a side step everytime I accelerated out of a corner. The KRv2 had this behavior too, so it was time to get rid of it. Softer rear springs (2.3) didn’t solve the problem, but suited the track better. As I felt a lack of grip, I removed the rear anti-roll-bar. Again the rear got better. Removing the front arb also made a huge difference. The car became more alive and made the tires work better. Maybe the car is so low and wide now, that it doesn’t need stabilizers for medium grip asphalt anymore.
The laptimes came down from 17.2s to 16.9s.
For years I have used Volante Hybrids. With their carpet insert, they generated more grip and were faster. But they also made the car nervous in its behavior. On my last race, couldn’t stand that anymore and used „normal“ Volante, because the car became much easier to drive. The fastest lap was slower, but overall faster and more comfortable. Today I gave the hybrids a last chance… and it is over for them now. I used the Volante 36 from then on and heated them to 58*C for 12 minutes.
I made more changes to the front: Ackermann, toe, springs, droop, bump steer. And somehow I was on a stroke of luck. Most of my ideas worked, made the car easier to drive and faster. I could manage 16.8s easier and more often and had less times drop throughout the run.
In the end my best laptimes were 16.6s. And I used another tire set of a different manufacturer, that worked even better regarding grip and behavior when driving on the limit. So overall a very productive day.

I also got to know the car better

I had some loose screws and brought homework home. I can’t exactly tell when I will race the next time, but now I am looking forward to it

Rick Vessell, Eotz, garnt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by wtcc; 08-15-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:50 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Great news wtcc! Thanks for sharing!
Completely get you regarding the loose screws. Had that on my test runs, too (lower knuckle got loose --> very high RC on that corner). Also, tyres tyres tyres: That always works.
Have you calculated your ARBs effect to roll stiffness on RC crew chief? When I did that on the h2e five, I realized, that the effect was close to none. It can be used as a fine tuning aid, but overall roll stiffness can be changed more greatly by harder springs.
Big thumbs up!
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

yeah äh, calculating stuff… totally my thing… not

As said before, I am no engineer. I wouldn’t know where to start. I am more of the „I want that layout/design-trial and error“ guy with ideas and the „that should/could work“ attitude.
Not very cool I know, but somehow I got away with it regarding the results so far Lucky I guess…

My recipe is pretty simple: Lightweigt, low center of gravity, concentrated weight, long arms. Oh, and throwing money at 6€ tub chassis
Old 08-15-2021, 01:43 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Haha, forgot about your lack of calculator...

Did you find longer drive shafts for the front, or is it good ol Tamiya parts?
Old 08-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

h2e Not yet. Andreas gave me an idea of what to do if I couldn't solve this problem. As of now, I see the chance to shim the TT02 outdrives 1mm each side. Haven't tried it, yet.

Instead, I used the time to design caster pointers for the TRF420 hubs...

... and to update the setupsheet for the KRv4 chassis to save yesterdays setup:

And ... I ordered MTC2 springs. These are softer than the Xray versions (down to 1.89) and maybe unlock even more performance
Rick Vessell, MatsNorway and h2e like this.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:42 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Nice spec sheet! Bit on the colorful side for my taste but nice graphics!
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

A white background needs black lines. You can keep the colors for the info boxes and arrows.
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

The first race for the KRv4 is coming up. It will be at the EMC Marktoberdorf, a track that I visited two times with the KRv2 already. From one of the past races I know my laptimes. A thing that was very important for me today, as I took the opportunity to practice there today.

I started practice on medium old tires and had to relearn the rhythm again. Once it came back, I focussed on the line in the difficult areas. With that, good laptimes came. My personal best from 2019 (see race report here earlier) was 20.090s. Through the day, I managed 20.028s as personal best with the tires dying (cuts and belt visible) and a lot of 20.0s and 20.1s laps. Not by much, but the KRv4 was always faster, than the KRv2.

Tire preparation was a little strange. 58*C seems to be just perfect. At some time the use of additive made the grip worse at the start of the stint. So I just heated the tires and it was fine again.

For the last run, I used a new set of tires and wanted to know how effective the tire preparation with additive would be. And it worked fine, so with aging tires I need to stop using tire additive to prevent a performance loss in the first laps of a run.

The last run with new tires then was awesome. The car felt nailed to the track and was super save to maneuver through the fast sections. In the end a lot of 19.6s laps appeared on the timing screen. Four tenths faster than my previous best with the KRv2. Very satisfying! Setup wise, I changed to softer Mugen springs, softer oil and increased caster and camber. I tried anti-roll-bars (1.1 and 1.2), but these did nothing good, like everything else I tried.
Now I hope, I have set the bar high enough for a good race weekend
h2e likes this.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Michael, my good friend, first-hour-TT02KR-owner and „business angel“ regarding the TT02 conversions was competing at the ETS last weekend. In the breaks between the runs, he showed around the KRv4.

If I remember correctly, he „rubbed in the faces“ of Martin Hudy (Xray Designer) and Ronald Völker (Mugen Team Driver)

As he was driving to Andernach together with Max Mächler (Awesomatix Team Driver), Max got the time to take a closer look at it, too.

But he wasn’t satisfied there and gave it to a Mikanews (a german R/C news site) reporter. This guy then made a nice article:

https://mikanews.de/2021/08/19/tt-02...-sport-klasse/

Thanks for the advertising, Michael
Old 08-20-2021, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Michael couldn't hide that he is a car salesmen
Offensive and active showing like he is trained to do this every day
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

The first race for the v4 is already in the books!

It was one of the most dominant races of my R/C „career“. The car was easy to drive. The fast corners were my territory. In these areas I made up so much ground. I also could accelerate sooner and harder into the full throttle zones.
I took TQ easily and in the finals my laptimes were partially up to one second faster than the next competitor. Only in one qualifier I rolled the car, which costed about three seconds. On every other heat I stayed clean. I could also repeat my 19.6s fastest lap, even though the track was much hotter than on wednesday practice.

Some pictures of my „place“:

With „track view“:

Because of my late registration all pit spaces were already occupied, but the club was very nice and had huge parasol for me.

In between qualifying, the weather forecast predicted heavy rain on sunday, so the race director changed its plan and reduced the qualifying heats from five to two and did all three finals today (not sunday). That meant, that the last finals nearly happened in the dark.
The award ceremony did. That is my first night picture with cup

Old 08-22-2021, 01:05 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Wow great news! You definitely need to get your own Tamiya TT02 official version. It's amazing to see your iterations get better and better!
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I've been a silent reader for the most time, but the amount of work, dedication and love for detail is astonishing. At this point i am curious how it would compete with other pro chassis.
wtcc likes this.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

berti That is a huge compliment! Thank you and congrats for your first post here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.