Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock to Modified comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default Stock to Modified comparison

I'll be running my first modified race on the 27th, so I want to know what to expect.

How much "different" is it?

What kinds of changes should i make to my driving style (turn early, let go of accel. earlier, etc)?

Say you have a stock motor perfectly geared at 120/38. ABOUT how many pinion teeth will you need to go down for the mod motor? I will be running a Team Orion Chrome Modified 10x2.

Will a stock motor setup handle the same way with the mod motor? If not, what changes will I need to make (less steering, more steering, harder springs/stabilizers, etc)?

THANKS very much
Old 10-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In general you will want a stiffer set-up. As far as driving style, you will need to use the brakes alot more. If your radio or ESC support it dial in some drag brakes. Remember you will be carrying alot more speed into the turns, and if your car has any bad handling characteristics the extra speed will only accent these......
Old 10-14-2001, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

I've just started racing stock after only racing modified(For years) and I can say that racing both is a bit of a handful.
A stock motor car can be driven with more precision which felt good, until I changed the motor for a 9 Double and overshot all my braking points, got sideways out of corners and generally overwhelmed the car.

You'll find it interesting to say the least.
You'll have to drop a lot of teeth on your pinion, try a final drive ratio(spur divided by pinion multiplied by gearbox ratio) of about 8.17 to start with and work up from there.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

yes drop the gearing to around 9 FDR then play up to around 7 FDR
and once the motor is JUST warm after a heat keep the gearing cause some mods are a hack to gear so once u get it right do not change ... keep it
in my opinion its should be around 8.5 FDR for a 10 turn

the setup has to be stiffer naturally ... or u can use anti roll bars...
generaly if u will want to slow down the compression stroke of the springs to maintain stability on the turn at higher speed so if u run say 40w oil with blue tamiya springs for stock u will ahve to use 60w oil with stiffer springs or blue sprngs

well naturally its the same but u will ahve to compromise on ur car's PRESISION during turns ...
on stock u can turn precisely and its very easy to control but for mod it happens soo fast sometimes u just have to WISH u will get trough the coners -LOL well at least for a 6 turn motor ... i ahve to wish* it will get trough the way i intended it to cause the next coner comes soo quickly that i will ahve to look and plan for the entry and the way i intened to take the next one just after the apex if the curent one ....
maybe i m slow ...or maybe i have slow reflexes .....BUT.... i dont know ..... sometimes to me it happens soo fast and it keeps gettin faster and faster soo fast that i cant catch up ... and i crash hehehe.... i prefer stock ....
Old 10-15-2001, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

I don't know the internal drive train yet, but i will find out soon.

I notice that two of you guys also drive TA04R's. What gearing do you use and for what motor?

I am also expecting massive oversteer compared to my stock setup. Correct?
Old 10-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

its either massive overstear or squaring of turns or massive understear ..(no-grip)
internal drive ratio for a o4 is 2.13
Old 10-17-2001, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by imataquito
its either massive overstear or squaring of turns or massive understear ..(no-grip)
internal drive ratio for a o4 is 2.13
Super understeer for my 04... have to either tap the brakes to drift through the turns, or else gotta ease the throttle to neutral very much earlier than my 23t. One of the reasons for this I guess is my servo is a S3003 futaba, not exactly high torque/speed.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

understear....... is it due to not enuff grip or cause of too much grip...- (flip if too much grip) or just slide out if too little grip

try yokomo shocks it can set the rebbound and bound stroke
so if u have little grip try full bound (compresion) make sure it does not scratch the bottom chasis thats all then medium rebound ( so u can maintain grip and not change directions too fast )

or is it cause ur suspension is too stiff - little grip
what tires ? surface?

try to soften ur suspension abit then try tires with better grip
or if ur entry is too fast ... SLOW DOWN lol

aside from that what i ment by massive overstear or understear is that cause some people might set their shocks rather soft for GRIP in stock mode so they can take turns faster and once u go to mod in the same setup ... ur car MIGHT do some massive overstear (rear end flippin or squaring off turns sometimes scratching the bottom chasis by compresing too much )
and by compressing too much and bottoming out it also can cause ur car to understear .... so it depends

and some people i know runs a STIFF setup for their car on stock
so they can make the car respond very aggerasively into a turn and in other words carry more speed in the turns BUT this is only achived when u have sufficent grip on the tires and u dont need the soft setup cause more grip would mean flipping the car (or traction roll) and in one way or the other when u change into a mod motor ... u tend to understear into the turns cause the tires have already reached the maximum grip capacity this causing it to slip .......or even overstear cause the car is behaving toooo ageresively ........

well u might say these coments contradict each other but then ... its true....so the key to a good setup is BALANCE to your driving style....its easy to say but its not easyly done ...
generally setting up a car A to car B is rather similar ... its just the ballance which u will have to find

there are other dynamics which i will ahve to take into consideration but then ... this are general things which would happen one of the other things are overstear then understear or vice versa ... but i wont go into that - i have no idea how to explain those ... u need some experence to learn about those explaining wont help much ... and more of all i have NO IDEA how to explain it ... its a behaviour the car shows and its hard to put in to words without actually looking at the car running

this is just my $0.0002 cents

jee thats a LONG post !!

Last edited by imataquito; 10-18-2001 at 09:20 PM.