T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Where are the origin of this Scythe, it has major problem in the swing shafts, than let me remind my Xpress era, broke always in the same thing.
Honestly, I like this car design, but it has reported so fragile, could somebody confirm if it's made in Hong Kong , please?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From what I know, the Scythe has it's origins from the OVA T4 which was a Japanese car. I believe TOP (which is short for Tokyo Hobby Option Parts) bought out the company that built the T4 and the Scythe has the same designer as the T4. The website for TOP is a Japanese site so I'm quite sure TOP is Japanese. I'm guessing you did a google search for Top racing. The first link is topracing.hk which has aftermarket parts for 1:1 cars and as far as I know, is not affiliated with TOP racing at all. I did buy my Scythe in Hong Kong and they seem to be at most hobby stores there but I suspect that might have something to do with the Scythe being significantly cheaper than other higher end and well known brands.

As for durability, the suspension parts are from a HPI Pro4/ Hotbodies Cyclone and they seem to be doing ok. I run the steering knuckles from a Scythe in my T2 because they are more durable than the T2 knuckles.

I have broken a carbon graphite bulkhead which gave me a good reason to upgrade to the Aluminium bulkheads. Even with the price of the bulkheads, the car has still cost me less than any other new car out there.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Look so much fragile, it seems so "Hong Kong style", very suspicious, maybe the guy convince their stuff as Japanese's.
There a lot kind of Hong Kong origin brands(RC and non-RC kinds), package the items with japanese characters(katakana and hiragana) to pretend it from Japan, because even their countryman will boycott their own stuff, they never trust themselves.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

The cars we have runnin have only had hassle with the shock tower mount breaking in a bad crash but can be hopped up with ally parts. The delrin solid spools cant take a lot of punishment but then again who spool does.Other than that no issues at all.
Drivetrain componenets are Yokomo and supension parts are Pro4/Cyclone so wearing items are not hard to get.

The Scythe is distributed internationally by TOP Racing for Sy Brand.
The car is manufactured by a Japanese company called Alpha Giken Industry Co Ltd and marketed under the "Sy Brand" name, they are a little unknown company that bought out the designs etc. for the Ova T4.
The car is designed by Satoshi Yamazaki a Japanese national champ.

english website is http://www.top-racing.jp/index.asp?lang=EN
Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

SY brand, maybe they bought the car design and hire the designer for promotion of car, because in website, mostly photos are from HK, i am not against with them, but i am just wondering quality chassis like everyone, i am just measuring to have another one, of course Scythe is one the target, so i have bad events with my Xpress, due it's material quality, japanese brand Alex racing design have bought their design and made another one with better quality on everything.Then most of my pals said, the origin's (HK Xpress) car quality never could compare with the sucessor one (Japan Express) even the new one is much more expensive but is worthy to buy.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

The pics etc... are from TOP Racing who are based in HK and as i said are doing the international promotion of the Scythe.Quality wise i cant fault the car and think its one of the best value for money cars available.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

I am just receiving some information about this lovely chassis, make me fall in love due it has Yokomo and HPI hardwares, high quality ones, and low price, thanks for sharing the details.
Due from the HK's picture appeared a former RClab founder also a former Xpress team driver(only rumours not sure), when they released the Xpress 98, they have been convinced on issue of Rc Car Action of their chassis are made in a small factory in Japan, but the reality was only the lower deck, and nothing more has been made in there, I am sure until here. Anyway it seems Scythe is awesome car for sure and I am thinking about it.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just had my first race meeting in the scythe, and whilst i struggled with set-up early on in the day, by the end of racing... i was much more comfortable in the car and was able to turn some better lap times, i had problems with bad glitching though so i couldnt REALLY get a clean lap in, so i was still behind the 8ball.

None the less, i'm very confident in the car, with every change i made it was better and better, and i definately believe i can get the car dialed and very competitive as it has been in our racing scene lately.

Does anyone have a good outdoor rubber tire set-up for a medium sized asphalt track with lots of flowing chicanes???...looking for a base to try basically.

Cheers, will keep you posted on my progress!

Robbie
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Just found this review of the Scythe in Extreme RC mag.
http://www.xtremerc.com/pages/review...view=50&page=2

Should help the guys see what the Scythe is about.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Hi

I have some Problems with the Ride height on my Scythe. I use Hot Bodies Springs and the Low Profile Shock Towers, with this Configuration i dont come under 6mm Ride Height.

Jimmy said me i can use Tamiya Plastic Coller's as well and Rayspeed Retainer ... or as an alternate, HPI Retainer ..

Have someone the same Problem and some Ideas for fixing that Problem?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by #iZzy
Hi

I have some Problems with the Ride height on my Scythe. I use Hot Bodies Springs and the Low Profile Shock Towers, with this Configuration i dont come under 6mm Ride Height.

Jimmy said me i can use Tamiya Plastic Coller's as well and Rayspeed Retainer ... or as an alternate, HPI Retainer ..

Have someone the same Problem and some Ideas for fixing that Problem?

Thanks!

The HPI and Tamiya springs are longer then the TOP springs. Because of this you have to use the stock shock tower with these springs which is 2mm or 3mm taller then the low profile towers.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Hi E.J.

Well, the Stock Shock Towers haven't much shock positions ... Only 3 at the Front and 4 at the Rear...

You know, the Low Profile Towers have 6 at the Front and 8 in the Rear .. that is very nice and i have more setup possibilities

Is there no way to get 4,0mm - 5,5mm with the Low Profile Towers? ...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by #iZzy
Hi E.J.

Well, the Stock Shock Towers haven't much shock positions ... Only 3 at the Front and 4 at the Rear...

You know, the Low Profile Towers have 6 at the Front and 8 in the Rear .. that is very nice and i have more setup possibilities

Is there no way to get 4,0mm - 5,5mm with the Low Profile Towers? ...
You can if you use the TOP racing springs. Other then that I'm not really sure.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm ... OK ..

I think it's an attempt worth .. maybe i can get some HPI Retainer from a friend to test this out
Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TOP Wins Dutch Stock National series

Jan Van Steeg secured his second Dutch national Title in a row already in de 5th race out of 6 races. Just one more to go on his own home track but that will be one just for fun . I think this is great news for TOP. Those kind of results will make the car hopefully more populair.

Jan thanks for driving the Top Scythe for Hang Loose Racing Products in the Netherlands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.