Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Trinity T-Spec Differential Problem >

Trinity T-Spec Differential Problem

Trinity T-Spec Differential Problem

Old 02-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmnx
So the whole diff gear set of Pro4 will work on T-spec... ?
I had problem with the outdrive... kinda too weak... I use 8-11T motor they always broken easily..... any other way to strengthen th outdrive...
I've tried with CA and other cement compound...but still no work...

If the Pro4 outdrive works... I will change the stock ones with them....

Please help me.... Thanks
I never just tried the outdrive but.......

Everthing from the HPI Pro4 differential works for the T-spec BUT, you must use the stock spur & pinion for the diff,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJCZ1&P=X and
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJCZ3&P=X,

The pro4 pinion that comes in the kit will not fit the shaft connection, therefore you must use the stock pinion which to keep the right ratio(mesh) you must use the stock spur.

If you choose to use the hpi diff the outdrives are too short also, but you can use a small piece of fuel tubing to bring the dog bone out so it fits better.

There is a world of difference between the hpi diffs and the stock ones.

hope thst helps,
Cesar
Old 02-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

i understand that the pro 4 pinion doesnt work but are there any pinions that do work? I would buy a second pinion shaft and gear to try and make a different pinion fit on it but not if its going to be in vain.

all now i can really do is wait and see thanks again

edit: just a bit ago i took apart my diff and cleaned it up real nice. i went through all the teeth on the gears with a toothpick and got the grime out. during reassembly i put a fair sized washer behind the diff to make it mesh with the pinion. it worked! or so i thought. when i went outside to test it i did a drift about 10ft and then realized that the rear wheels were not getting power. i figured the washer made a tight mesh but a bit too tight. im going to loosen it up a bit more and see if that solves. but still waiting on your replies

Last edited by driftdriftdrift; 02-20-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by driftdriftdrift
i understand that the pro 4 pinion doesnt work but are there any pinions that do work? I would buy a second pinion shaft and gear to try and make a different pinion fit on it but not if its going to be in vain.

all now i can really do is wait and see thanks again

edit: just a bit ago i took apart my diff and cleaned it up real nice. i went through all the teeth on the gears with a toothpick and got the grime out. during reassembly i put a fair sized washer behind the diff to make it mesh with the pinion. it worked! or so i thought. when i went outside to test it i did a drift about 10ft and then realized that the rear wheels were not getting power. i figured the washer made a tight mesh but a bit too tight. im going to loosen it up a bit more and see if that solves. but still waiting on your replies

If its not stripped out a good cleaning like you did should work.
I dont know of any other pinions that would work. remember if you chage one side you HAVE TO CHANGE THE OTHER. if you dont change both one side will turn faster or slower than the other, this is only the case if you are trying to go from 23 teeth to 22 or similar, this will only change your internal ratio.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

broke the outdrive. but the diff is still locked! might go for some steel ones.

Last edited by driftdriftdrift; 02-26-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

anyone know of any good solid steel outdrives? i know pro 4 ones work but any others?? i broke my right rear outdrive. lol
Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Check out the inner bearingsize for the outdrive otherwise there is a chance that it won't fit.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I ran my car with the 21t and drift tyres it stripped gears more than when I raced it with a 540 motor. My car would sometimes snap outdrives when I ran a 15t mod. I'm not sure what would fit as I didn't try anything else than the stock parts. I could only get about 35 runs or so when I ran a 15t mod.
Hope you find a solution, Drew.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks. im looking at some type of steel outdrives. i fixed my diff stripping problem. it took a decent sized washer and alot of super glue and hot glue. but now i have to do it all over again. meh what can ya do. as stated earlier in the post tc3/ tc4 outdrives are too short but they are the only type of steel ones i can find.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cesar
I never just tried the outdrive but.......

Everthing from the HPI Pro4 differential works for the T-spec .....

If you choose to use the hpi diff the outdrives are too short also, but you can use a small piece of fuel tubing to bring the dog bone out so it fits better.

There is a world of difference between the hpi diffs and the stock ones.

hope thst helps,
Cesar
Thanks for the info.
I have done it. It works.

I'm using this HPI Parts :
HPI 73514 Pro4 graphite outdrive
HPI 75135 diff outdrive ring
HPI 72105 diff ring D-cut

The D-cut type diff ring plate is smaller than the stock one, so the ball can be seen but still attach to the ring so no problem... I can;t use the stock diff plate since it's to big and different shape with the HPI outdrive. (The stock outdrive more like Tamiya TA04 ball diff plate).

The outdrive has similar size for the stock ball bearing (1510 I think) and it fits tight and perfectly matched so no problem when I re-fitted the gearbox. The length of the outdrive on both side is the same as stock one but since I added the outdrive ring, the dogbones almost touch the ring.. But I can manage them to sit properly by adding some fuel tubing on each side of the dogbone.

The only problem are :
1. the center hole for the diff screw. HPI outdrive is for 2.5 mm and this stock diff screw is 3 mm so I have to drill with 3mm bit. So it's okay for me.

2. because the center diff screw is 3 mm so is the locknut and this become the problem. I can't tighten easily since the small part (take alook at his picture
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGNV5&P=V
.... it's the one in the centre, small thing, looks like T-shaped, I don;t know what's the name.) can't fit the 3mm locknut.
So I have to use tweezer (can't use the long nose plier since the tip is too thick to get into the outdrive) to hold it and then using 3mm hex to screw it tight.
I think if the diff loose after some runs then I have to open the gearbox to re-tighten the diff... but I think it's just fine with me...

That's all I can share to you. For the diff, I still use stock ball diff. and so far, it never fails me.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Spur and pinion

Seems that the stock pinion is Tamiya AV pinion size....
Any info on how to change the stock spur and pinion to 48P or 64P ?

Any adapter available ?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think robinson racing spurs fit.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Drewdc90
I think robinson racing spurs fit.

Do you have the part number ?

Thx
Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

btw anyone know where i can pick up a center diff screw. mines super glued in. lol. i think ill try for the pro 4 diff set up. will the graphite outdrives handle a locked diff? or just snap on me??
Old 03-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

hey driftdrifdrift, go to the offical driftfourm when u get a chance, when it gets warm out side we really start talking,

but as for u problem, did u post on Groovy Drift?

there are alot of ppl that are helpful ther!

and is the t-spec any good?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcmnx
Do you have the part number ?

Thx
I don't have the part num. The ones I bought were from my LHS but think these are the same.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEY37&P=0
If they don't fit you could just drill holes in them, but I'm pretty sure they would fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.