Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need help choosing a car! >

Need help choosing a car!

Need help choosing a car!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need help choosing a car!

I would like to try racing on-road this year, but I have zero experince outside trucks. Where do I start? I need to choose a car, first....
Old 02-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I suggest you attend a few meets in the track your planning on racing and ask around what works and have good parts support.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

<insert sponsor here>OR <insert what car i want or drive here>

there are a bunch of great cars on the market... find what car your local hobby shop has parts for unless you want to wait and order parts and read the threads of each car your interested in on this great forum and then pick your poison
Old 02-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Buy a XRAY and be done with it, if you really want to get into racing get a XRAY. I just started a few months ago and I bought a TC4 and all it was, was problems, broken parts, cheap, the list goes on. I drove a XRAY and found out that it isnt the driver, its the car. Im picking up my XRAY T2 tomorrow and going from there.

Save alot of money and just get the best in the first place. If I could go back and do that I sure would.

Put it this way, with my TC4 it would run good sometimes then the setup would just never be right and little problems would come up that would prevent me from racing. Sure I got 1st a couple times with it, and stuff, bought a Factory Team Conversion kit for it too...just more problems came up.

VERY first time with the XRAY I took 1st in all the qualifiers and 1st in the A-Main...ALSO I set my all time best with it too...that is the first time using the XRAY (That I setup may I remind you). So with messing with the TC4 for months and never getting better or increasing with it, and running one different kind of car for the first time and taking my ALL-TIME Best and 1st place the whole night, which boosted me up in Point Series Poker...from 6th to 2nd, that sorta tells me something.

So I say if you want to save money in the long haul buy the good shit in the first place. I talked to many people who did the same thing I did and buy cheap charger, batteries, and car in the first place (RTR CAR) and end up spending more in parts and troubles with that car than racing it.

My car vote goes to ANY XRAY.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Likewise, you have to research a lot of stuff before getting into r/c. as in does your lhs carry parts for the car, are they easy to get if they don't have them in stock, and your budget.

personally, i've learned from the past, but there are going to be people on this forum that will say go with this brand, go with that, blah blah blah. however, its all about what you like. don't go by what people say, go with what you prefer and what your budget can afford.

now im not going to say what brand to get, however when you do decide to by your car, look into is it a kit that i can be competitive with, or will i have to pay it up to upgrade it in the long run?

another thing you will have to look at is how much the parts and kit may be. i know with the kit that i have (corally rdx) tha the parts are fairly expensive. then again, xray products are almost the same, and i don't mind putting out the money, because i enjoy the hobby.

jut make sure you go with what you prefer. but also take and use the advice that i and the other guys gave you to use to help you purchase your first touring car.

hope that helped

lance
Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a car with the performance of an XRay or Corally and the parts cost of an Associated or Losi.

OOPS! No such thing!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They seem to be the two best cars of the lot. I've run the Xray FK04 and was very impressed and now have the T2.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

you should get the car your LHS stocks so you will have all the spares you want, and plus you keep on their good side.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi, looking to buy an x-ray everybody says to buy 05 xray not T2 is there anything wrong with T2 is there any truth to this.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tips guys! It's looking the X-Ray is the way to go, and my LHS stocks the parts.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10bob
Hi, looking to buy an x-ray everybody says to buy 05 xray not T2 is there anything wrong with T2 is there any truth to this.
No not at all. If there were something wrong the team drivers wouldn't be using them.
I heard a few people were having tweak problems but I and many others haven't had any problems.