Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting the most from a race battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Getting the most from a race battery pack

So what's the best way to get the most power out from a race battery pack? Yes I have search before, and i read many threads. However I got so many different answers that I do not know which one is right.

Is it better to have it finished charging right before the race, pop in the car and start racing?

Or is it better to charge the battery before the race, then peak it again 5~10min before the race?

Will the battery perform better when it's warm or is it better when it's cold?

I am running the IB3800s right now.
This is what I usually do to maintain them:
1.Finish race
2.discharge battery with 030 discharger until light goes out
3.discharge battery with Team Lighting discharger until 0.90v per cell
4.store battery in box until next use

Then when I need to run again:
1.Take it out of the box and set it on the Team lighting discharger until 0.90v per cell
2.Charge the battery with the Duratrax Intellipeak charger. 4 step charge 4a > 6.5a > 4a > 6a battery usually cut off at delta-peak with around 4200~4300mah and 110f~120f temp
3.When 10min before the race, I charge the battery until it peaks again
4.pop in car and race

Is there anything I am not doing right? Is there a different setting for the charger in charging mode and peaking mode?

Last edited by lookinco; 02-14-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The ideal is to have the car on the track right after the pack peaks as this will provide most power. Even if you repeak it, it still will not get up to the temperature it was when it peaked.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

batteries should generally be warm when they go out on the track. Motors should be as cool as possible. This combination will lead to a fast car. Generally, you want to charge at a "linear" charge mode....so like 5 amps or watever for the duration of the charge, don't do the step thing if you can aviod it (imop). Then when they call you up to prestage......."get your transponder" have the battery IN the car and strapped down and the charger wire like running under the body and have the thing set to re-peak. I like to re-peak at a 1amp higher than normal charge. so, I re-peak at 6 amps. This way the battery warms up a little quicker and has a tad more voltage when it hits the track. SO if timed correctly, it should tick off right as the last race is finishing and you have to go up.