Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Stock Motor Bushings... >

Stock Motor Bushings...

Stock Motor Bushings...

Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Stock Motor Bushings...

I'm trying to figure out what I can use to polish/hone the bushings in stock motors. I was hoping to find something to use with my dremel to speed up the process, so I sat at Home Depot looking at Dremel accessories for about 15 minutes trying to find something, with no luck.

Any tips/ideas?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use a Q-tip as the tool, thread the stick end through the bushing and pull the cotton fuzz into place. It doesn't take too long, so low speed on the dremel for a couple minutes or so is all I usually do.

Some people use toothpaste, not the gel kind, but like the old Crest paste. It has just enough fine abrasives in it, and it's easy to clean up. I use Mother's mag wheel polish I had laying around.

I also take the bushings out and use 2000 grit sandpaper on the face of the bushing where the shims ride. The face isn't usually too smooth to start.

Hope this helps.

JC
Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

use dremel to spin an old armature in the can, and the enbell with some toothpaste or polishing compound...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I dont think I'm going to remove the bushings from the endbell and can though... I would be concerned about seating them again so that they are perfectly alligned.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XMSRacing
I'm trying to figure out what I can use to polish/hone the bushings in stock motors. I was hoping to find something to use with my dremel to speed up the process, so I sat at Home Depot looking at Dremel accessories for about 15 minutes trying to find something, with no luck.

Any tips/ideas?
hey

The easiest way to get your stock motor bushing spot on in seconds is to use a 1/8th straight reamer, I tend to take the arm out of the motor and put the end bell and can back together and twist the reamer back and forth through both bushings. then reabuild the motor with a touch of oil the shafts job done.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XMSRacing

Any tips/ideas?
If the stockmotor is type with a closed endbell you could use silver of copper polish by putting some drops on the shaft near the bushing. Twist the armature a few times in side the can. After that you can put the shaft (where the pinions is attached) in a drill and spin it for a few minutes on low speed. Once done spray the bushing out with a decent motorcleaner and oil them with a quality oil.