Wiki Posts
Search

Slipping One-ways?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

Default Slipping One-ways?

My TC is making 3-5 clicking noises when I accelerate with the wheel turned as I accelerate hard through/out of a tight corner. I'm it's guessing slipping oneway(s)? How do I check for slipperage?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

If its a belt car it may well be the belts slipping so check that if so. Hold the back wheels so they cant move (with your elbows or knees or something) and turn the two front wheels with your hands. It should be pretty hard to make the belts slip and I think the diffs should be set so they can slip slightly before this point is reached.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. No, the belts are not skipping.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

what kind of car is it?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of car do you have as this could be a couple of things depending on the car?

Check your cvd's making sure a pin has not come loose or a screw in the steering hub is not rubbing. Could also come from a bad bearing in the hub.

Greg
Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

It's my old school but new condition TRF414M2. Everything is good, bearings, universals, etc, etc. Runs down the straight and takes the sweeper with good speed and handling. But in a tight infield 180 degrees turn if I accelerate hard, I hear click click click. My diff is good (smooth and no slip). I just have a feeling it's the oneway(s), not sure how tightly they should feel before slipping?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

could it be your rims are touching your screws that hold the shocks onto the A-arms when at full turn?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:14 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
could it be your rims are touching your screws that hold the shocks onto the A-arms when at full turn?
I check that everytime I put tires on cause I know thats a known problem; that and the rim rubbing on the camber link ball cup. I'm running 24mm CS22 premounts with a 1mm shim between the Hex and wheel, so theres good clearance.

I'm going to replace a few things and see if it's any better.... Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tem,

Pull the oneway out and check it like you would a diff if you think it is slipping. I don't know much about oneways other than on power they are like a spool and off power they act like a diff, so it's either locked or unlocked, no slipping.

Gotta hate gremlins when they hitch a ride.

Greg
Old 02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

I would still bet money it's either your belt or cvds. Doesn't sound like it could be anything else. How are you checking to see if the belts skipping?

Try tightening your belt and see if it helps. It's easy to rule out.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Clickity-clack Clickity- clack!!!!

Originally Posted by TEM
I check that everytime I put tires on cause I know thats a known problem; that and the rim rubbing on the camber link ball cup. I'm running 24mm CS22 premounts with a 1mm shim between the Hex and wheel, so theres good clearance.

I'm going to replace a few things and see if it's any better.... Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I've had my spur gear slip but only on a couple of teeth and only on hard acceleration.
I looked at the gears but they appeared to be fine! Again it didn't happen all the time but most noticeable on coming out of the corners.
I found out the spur was out of round and a couple of teeth on the pinion gear was worn. Put fresh spur and pinion and the noise was gone!!
Just my 2$
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Check for belt skip?, I put the front 1/2 of the car on the table with the rear wheels hanging in the air. Then my left arm goes on top of the front wheels, fore arm on left wheel, right hand clenching right wheel so neither can turn, and I turn the spur gear with my right hand. It takes a good amount of force, no less than my TA04 which uses the same belt and pulleys, etc. Ofcourse it STILL CAN be the belt like you all suggested.

So to weed out all the possibilities instead of going at it one by one cause I really don't like to disassemble and reassemble 3/4 the car to try each thing out, I've just put on a new front belt(I HATE running in belts!), and my spare set of oneways. I even re-did my rear diff while I was at it!

Gosh I hate them gremlins!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Well my 415 skipped on acceleration but would not skip by hand. So I adjusted the front belt and it was fixed. I know it's a pain to tear the front end apart to adjust it, but if it continues to skip you'll have to take it apart anyway when the belt strips.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TEM
Check for belt skip?, I put the front 1/2 of the car on the table with the rear wheels hanging in the air. Then my left arm goes on top of the front wheels, fore arm on left wheel, right hand clenching right wheel so neither can turn, and I turn the spur gear with my right hand. It takes a good amount of force, no less than my TA04 which uses the same belt and pulleys, etc. Ofcourse it STILL CAN be the belt like you all suggested.

So to weed out all the possibilities instead of going at it one by one cause I really don't like to disassemble and reassemble 3/4 the car to try each thing out, I've just put on a new front belt(I HATE running in belts!), and my spare set of oneways. I even re-did my rear diff while I was at it!

Gosh I hate them gremlins!
It's only your CVD's clicking, they tend to do that when they start to wear out a bit, or when the pin starts to come out.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

However it is not clear yet if the one-way is your problem but you can improve your one-way. Xray has a special one-way lube: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...348&kategoria=
That would eliminate the slip if there is any...