Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie who needs some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Default Brush longevity

racer123;

I go at least 2 weekends of racing before changing my brushes, so....... Practice packs x2 + 2 qualifiers@ 5 min. + 1 main@ 5 min.
How about 1 hour TOTAL runtime average between brush changes. You may get more or less depending on your gearing and the conditions that you are running on.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bleeding Fingers

rcpigz;

I don't know how I'm going to race tomorrow with all this tape on my fingers. I look like the Mummys revenge or something.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RCRACER123

I used to have such a cute little tushy until I sat my butt in this chair and started typing !!!LOL

Brushes ...no defined life span...study up on them and inspect them regularly.
super Brain is a good choice. Don't worry!!

I looked on the Pro Match site for you....You can get a BRAND NEW 3000mah NMH Panasonic set for 41.00.... You will have to assemble them into a pack so figure another 5 bucks for the stuff you need.

Hey Pops......Find a Band Aid yet!!??
Old 11-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

This may be a stupid question but here it goes, is there any motor that does not need to change brushes?
And do tamiya connectors on the batteries work on a TC3?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default No bandaids

Bandaids, BANDAIDS!

I had to go and buy some gauze and medical tape for this one. Cleaned out the WHOLE shelf at the store. Figt ebrt noyic
Dang!, this stuff keeps getting caught in the keyboard.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Rcracer123

Pardon me Sir....Is that grey matter oozing from your ears !!??

Yes to the motor question but don't even go there

Tamiya connectors are fine but very basic. Very few people ,if any, use them for serious racing. feel free to start out with them but learn about the others available and change to one of them when you can.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

rcracer123,
Please give us an update when you get rolling. Be nice to know what happens to you after us old guys got all cramped up from typing for the last two days. See Ya
Old 11-29-2002, 11:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

yea thanks, no problem
Old 11-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking hey all

I swear not to give any more of my info but I would like to say that even I learned some stuff through this thread so thanks..I have raced about 6 weekends give or take...I have so far stayed with my Tamiya plugs, only cause I keep draining my bank acount on other things,ie:motor shocks.......Eceryone told me that my plugs are going to "get hot" or may even melt (which they all said doesn't happen very offten) my plugs don't get hot at all..I think I will stay with mine for a little while longer like it was said start out with basics and u will learn along the way. I also looked at promatch batteries but found out I can't buy from there cause I live in canada. Even with the exchange rate they are still cheaper than what I can buy them here for..I am currently racing with 2400mah "Rocket Packs"(nicad) made by Team Orion..They seem quite good and they are getting me through races just fine..in fact I have managed to win a couple races too..Like I had said join the rc club in town go spend a little time at the shop ask some questions..If they really want ur business they will answer..
keep us ALL posted
ciao for now
Blain
Old 11-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking PS I absolutly love my P2K pro

And I would recomend it to anyone...
Old 11-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

racerb,
Well said !!! Wasn't aware you couldn't get promatch batteries in Canada, Whats the deal......just a policy or is there a regulation about shipping batteries to Canada?
Old 11-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

hey racerb,
do you think it would be worthwhile if you found someone stateside to place the order for you and then ship them from here to you?? I wonder if Promatch will dropship. In other words,I place the order but they ship to you. Other possibility....find a dealer here in the states that will deal with you. I've never checked to see what a shop charges for ProMatch cells
Old 11-29-2002, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Since i guess everyone was worrying about other things of more importance, the Team Losi XXX-S is what others are talking about. The xxx-s is closely related to the tc3, BUT the tc3 is shaft driven and the xxx-s has an enclosed single belt driven. The tc3 has a little better acceleration than the xxx-s, but mostly they are about the same. the tc3 has quite a bit of hop-ups out there, but the losi doesnt have as many.

If you possibly could, you should probably look into buying some 2400 NiCD's or some 2000's. The 1500s arent bad, but i really do not like them at all. Personal preference.

And BTW if you have any questions regarding the car itself or even runtime, then go to the TC3 forum and they are more than likely capable of helping you.

Also check with the local track and see the classes you can join in on. At my track they have a real good class for beginners. It is called the rookie class and in it you have to use stock cars, no hop-ups and even treaded tires. But that is a very good class to check out.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rcracer123
This may be a stupid question but here it goes, is there any motor that does not need to change brushes?
And do tamiya connectors on the batteries work on a TC3?
yap...brushless n they r damned expensive...pardon my language.out of league at tis moment.

the wear n tear on brushes really needs 2 depend on a lot of factors also,such as ur car gearing etc.running ur motor veri hot will wear out ur brushes veri fast.a good guide is 2 take a look at the brushes.if they r dull n darken,it's a good time 2 change brushes.

as for whether tamiya plugs can work on tc3...u must solder the other male/female tamiya plugs then it will work...must have the corresponding connector 2 connect up.it's ur choice as to wat plug u wan 2 use.
as 4 the connectors,tamiya plugs probably have the highest resistance of all connectors.if u r running stock,it should still work fine.but i suggest u try 2 change 2 either deans or corally connectors.they r of much lower resistance n afford better efficiency from ur batt packs.

let mi know if u still need anything...
Old 11-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default Keep it up.

Racerb;

Sounds like you are doing just fine with what you have. Another BIG mistake that many R/Cers make is running out and buying all of the latest greatest hop-ups, batteries, motors, etc. When they don't REALLY need them to race and have fun. It's when you start moving up into the Sportsman/Expert classes that you will find that you need better stuff to keep up with the fast boys.

ijnek;

The Tamiya plugs are fine for now especially running a Stock Motor. As the "Need for Speed" becomes more important, then it's time for better plugs (probably batteries too).

EvilS10;

From what I've seen at the track, there are just as many hop-ups for the Losi XXXS as for the TC3. Aluminum, Graphite whatever you need it's out there for both cars. Check the website and see.speedtechrc

Last edited by popsracer; 11-29-2002 at 05:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.