R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Power Supply Frustrations????

I bought this power supply from a guy at the track and am trying to hook it up without burning my garage down. Power Supply There are the usual 2 positive inputs along with the common ground. There are 2 - outputs, 1 has a ~ and the other one doesn't. The 2 + outputs, the one has the ~ and the other does not. There is a LED to show that there is power to the supply. I hooked it up to the wall and got out the voltmeter to try to figure it out. As soon as I hooked it up, I got no voltage and the LED went off. I took the meter off and the LED came back on. I have the voltmeter set to read up to 20vdc. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am at a loss. Thanks in advance.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

The outputs marked ~ are ac outputs to power another supply, make sure your not testing dc volts at these termimals.The other outputs should be dc. Also, alot of multimeters have seperate spots to install the test leads. If yours is this way, make sure its connected through the volt/ohm connector and not the amp test connector. Hope this helps.
patman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I have a Cosel power supply that is very similar to that.

The LED goes off if the outputs are shorted out.

You may have had you multi-meter in the DC ampers mode? Don't do that. It is shorting the powersupply through your meter, and if it has 12.5 amps, could ruin your meter (most will only handle 10 amps).

Just run across the 12+ and ground (or -) outputs. They should be somewhat clearly marked.

On mine they are marked as follows:

I use those in + and - respectively.

Mine worked great for two or 3 years, and I only replaced it because I had the money to get a pretty nice looking one from Radio Shack that is 15 amps. So I replaced it for looks, and to have a backup at home. (I leave most of my stuff at the track)
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Tech Addict

According to the picture of the PS you refer to, you should connect the input wires to the terminals marked L and N. The ground input goes to the ground terminal. -V (both of them) is the output ground or minus. +V (both of them) is the output plus. The Vadj is to adjust the output voltage from somewhere around 11 to 14 volts.

Remember to set the voltage selector. If you set the selector on 240 and plut in 120 you can get weird behaviour from the PS.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

where is this ps bought???
Tamiya TB Evo 5
Spektrum DX3R 2.4Ghz, Sanwa ERG-VX, VFS-1
EngTat is offline   Reply With Quote