Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Maintenance

Hey all, have some questions in regards to motors.

For modified motors like a 6 turn, when should I cut the comm and change brushes? Why does the comm have to be cut? does it decrease performance if I don't cut it..

Also is their a tool or lathe used to cut the comm? if so, what do they cost?

Also, does a stock 19t motor require the same amount of maintenance as a modified motor?

thanks guys
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvdrsi

For modified motors like a 6 turn, when should I cut the comm and change brushes? Why does the comm have to be cut? does it decrease performance if I don't cut it..

Also, does a stock 19t motor require the same amount of maintenance as a modified motor?

thanks guys

The lower the turn motor the more care and maintanance it requires. The comm needs turning because it get out of round and scored. This causes the brushes to bounce more than a freshly trued comm. The more the brushes bounce the more the performance will decrease. The scoring also reduces the motor's performance. Also if a comm is not cut for many runs it will develope an hour glass like shape from the brushes wearing it in the middle. A good comm lathe will set you back $100, the best will be double that. A 19t and a stock motor will require less maintanance than low turn motors. But it also depends on whether you are racing or just bashing around the yard.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For those low turn mods they need a cut after every run and new brushes every run or 2 at the most. 19T motors require far less maintainence my V2 Element has close to thirty runs and still on the orignal brushes and haven't had the comm cut once
Old 02-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Superkarter
For those low turn mods they need a cut after every run and new brushes every run or 2 at the most. 19T motors require far less maintainence my V2 Element has close to thirty runs and still on the orignal brushes and haven't had the comm cut once
Absolute rubbish! This sort of talk is what scares people away from running Mod.

V2 or Checkpoint motors require much less maintenance than the old style motors, and XXX brushes ensure that, at the very least, you can get a lot more than 2 runs from a set of brushes.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bender
Absolute rubbish! This sort of talk is what scares people away from running Mod.

V2 or Checkpoint motors require much less maintenance than the old style motors, and XXX brushes ensure that, at the very least, you can get a lot more than 2 runs from a set of brushes.
Absolute true: advantage of the V2 endbell is that the brushes less bounces on the comm. There are different brushes and the compound of the brush depends how many runs it can be used. The more silver in the compund the more wear of brush and commutator BUT the higher the performance. The brushes are indicated as silver brush and can be run for 2-6 runs/heats. Now the more copper in the compound the longer the life of the brush, but the less performance. Comm cuts depends on the type of brush.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvdrsi

thanks guys
DVDRSI-If your asking questions like this I would stay as far away from a 6 turn as possible.I know guys who have been racing for 10yrs Plus that dont use motor's this low.They DONT require being cut every run like stated by someone else in this post that doesnt have a CLUE of what he is talking about,BUT they are hard on equipment.6 turn motor's draw alot of current and heat up esc's,batteries and even the motor alot faster than say a 10-13 turn.
Unless your straight up drag racing I wouldnt advise THIS LOW of a motor.It WILL require more maintance of that say a 10-13 turn.Realistically it wont be THAT MUCH faster.

The Tool being used is a Lathe.They sell for $139.99-400.00 NEW but can be found for $75.00-100.00 used.
Note: Make sure if buying a used lathe it's from someone with experience.If they didnt know what they were doing and the lathe has a DIAMOND Bit there's a good chance the bit is damaged.
Carbide bits are fine but have to be aligned right.

A 19turn motor is actually still a mod motor.Stock motor's are 27 turn.
A 19 turn motor is going to be easier on maintance due to less CURRENT being drawn from the esc and batteries.Less current means less wear and tear.
Thats why I stated that being new and unless your drag racing I would start off with a quality 13-19 turn and have fun.If you wanna step down to a 10 thats fine but I wouldnt suggest any lower.

Example of this would be racing on a dirt track with guys with 10,11,and 12 turns and me running a 15-19 turn and beating them.The reason this happens is they cant handle the power and are spinning out or spinning the tires in the corner to where I am more consistant around the track.
Same thing can be said for sedan because guys OVERSHOOT corners and loose time.
So for racing I would say BUY WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE.
For bashing buy a 10-13 turn and gear it correctly and it will be PLENTY Fast.

Since you ask about maintance this info will also help you.
The average pair of brushes cost $3.00-4.00 a pair.
There are motor's out now like the Orion V2's,and CheckPoint Modifieds that due to their design the brushes last longer.These brushes run between $4.00-7.00 a pair.
Trinity has a BRUSH out that can be ran in various motor's called the XXX brush.The special compound in this brush allows you to run it more than the average brush but at a PRICE.In stores they are $13.00-16.00 a pair.
The advantage to this is you shouldnt have to cut the comm as much.
Reedy and CS electronics also make a standup brush in a long lasting compound but also cost $13.00-16.00 a pair.

The Question NOONE asked you is this:
Do you plan on Racing?If so what car or truck and what class?
Do you plan on just bashing??

This will help in what we can suggest as a good motor.

Hope this helps.
Les

P.S.Superkarter-Please do everyone a favor.If you dont know what your talking about HUSH.You scare the living daylights out of people with your FALSE KNOWLEDGE.Very Irresponsible to the industry and the people in it.
While the V2 Elements can get 30 runs before a brush change it DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION.If this guy isnt running mod sedan with a 6 turn then he could get as many as 10 runs or so on a regular set of brushes.Just depends on the situation.So watch what you say really.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

wow thanks for all of the information

I have been out of the hobby for a few yrs and im planning to get back in to it.
Anyway, I want to race at one of my local tracks here. Im probably not going to use the 6 turn, I usually just use it to boot around on the street with.
Im going to need a new motor for the track. I have a 10 turn triple trinity speedgems motor but that thing is trash. I like modified over stock but I may end up picking up a 19T b/c many members race in this class.
I don't want to get in to heavy racing YET b/c im just getting back in to the hobby so I do need a lot of practice before competing for A/B main.

I also need to upgrade my chassis and some electronics b/c they're a bit outaded.

Here is what I have and will be running

Yokomo MR4TC
ESC - Teking G10
Radio - KoPropo Precision EX1
Motor -6 turn, forgot the name or the trinity 10 turn.
Batteries - 1700 and 2000 trinitys

I also need to invest in foam tires with rims b/c I don't have any, what do you guys recommend?

thx again guys

Here is a pic of the track:

Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Ask the guys at the track what they are running.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Texracer, that was a good post.

dvdrsi, I see that Fastcats will be your new local track LUCKY YOU. I was there for the Magma race a few weeks back.

I see that the batteries you have will not even be able to handle a good mod at this point in time anyway, you runtimes will be very short to say the least.

I would suggest to stick with the 19 turn, I agree that you may not be ready for "A" main competition but with a world class facility at your doorstep don't even bother to run your car outside. You have the best place to practice right there on the track when it is open.

Then when you feel ready you can start club racing. I know the guys there will help you with any thing you need.

That's just my thoughts, hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Fastcats just held a free "motor clinic" last week. It was very informative, they might be holding another one soon. Also ask John or some one in the store and they will happy to answer any of your motor/car setup questions
Old 02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys
Ya I was just gathering information in advance. I will definitely ask for help when needed. I just wanted to set everything up before I walk in to the doors. Hopefully I will make my second visit in the next week or 2. Yup the track is Fast Cats, very nice track. Only problem is it's quite far from me otherwise I would be there more often.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Texracer, outstanding information Race tracks need more of you around! Cloning maybe ?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The radio and esc should not hinder your on track performance. As far as a chasis goes stick with what other people run. Often times you can find someone saling their outdated, still very fast chasis for cheap. There are new tcs popping out all the time now and parts support for a tc3 or a xxx-s should not be a problem. Also if you invest in what others run you then there should be ample amounts of setup aid available. A few things I would invest in that will make your day at the track a lot better off.

Invest in 4 new battery packs. You can pick up some cheap unmatched packs which will give you the run time needed to get a hold on the hobby or if you have the money to spend pick up some good matched packs. If you look at the right places you can find 3300s for under $40 a pack with good numbers. Also invest in a decent charger and an equalizing trey if you go with matched packs. Other wise you can find some unmatched 3000s off somewhere like tower hobbies for $20 a pack and a cheap nimh charger for around $50. If you don't plan on running hot mods in your car then odds are you don't need to buy a lathe. Most hobby shops will do motor rebuilds for around $5-10 + the price of brushes. As long as you support your lhs rebuilds should not be a problem and thus a lathe shouldn't be a problem. Matched packs will give you more performance then unmatched packs. If you use a equalizing trey before charges they will also have a much long life span then unmatched packs.

Your esc and your radio should not hinder your racing at all. As long as your radio has end point and trim adjustments you should have no worries. If you ever get into mod racing and need a 6turn mod then you may want to update the esc to one with less resistance, but for the purpose the G-10 is a top tier esc.

Also be sure to save room in your budget for spare parts that may break while at the track such as a-arms and belts if there is not an on site hobby shop you should bring your own stack of misc. parts which may possibly break.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

dvdrsi, I see you are just getting back to this. I am on the same boat. I suggest you run stock motor for now. A 10 turn will be too fast to handle. Im not sure about you but I need to practice on my driving skills

Yes, Fastcats is a very nice facility. Only problem is its 1 hour away from me. Where are you from?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

thx for the replies guys

natskiboy, im in vaughan