R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   which Turn motor for Modified? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/100982-turn-motor-modified.html)

noobie 02-07-2006 02:39 PM

which Turn motor for Modified?

Hi, I raced from a nitro background and have borrowed friends stock motors and found it a bit too slow.

I want to jump straight into mod racing.

I am looking at getting a teamBrood Pro v2.

my noobie question is why wouldnt everyone in mod just get the 6turn vs a 14turn?

less turn = faster?

also whats the difference between 12x1 and 12x2, what does it do?

thanks

xlgraphicspro 02-07-2006 03:06 PM

It's all about what you can handle. If everyone could handle a 6x1 then this thread wouldn't be here. but more than likely you'll waste more time spinning your tires, ultimately going slower than you think. Now if you put in a 12x1 you might be able to handle the speed, your lap times will be faster. after you get a handle on lower winds, you could eventually move up, but some times the size of the track determines the type you'd use.

As for 12x1 Vs. a 12x2 or 12x3, the more strands, the smoother the power band. a single wind will be alot more punchy, a double or triple will be smoother

ford_racing 02-07-2006 03:06 PM

Firstly I'd try out a mild mod basically someting over about 10 turns to start off with and se how you go

Less turns does equal faster :nod:

12x2 means that there are 2 wires which get wrapped around each pole 12 times
12x1 is only one wire on each pole but still gets wrapped around 12 times

the higher the second number the more gradual the rpm increase

I was once told that a x1 was like a light switch and each extra one is less like one

T. Thomas 02-07-2006 03:14 PM

The reason everyone does not get a 6 turn instead of a 10 or 12 turn is because the wear they create while running, and many people can not control these motors and be fast with them. Yes lower turns means faster mtoor, but it also means that your batteries will drain faster along with you will have less time to react for turns. If you are new to MOd I would suggest starting with a 10 turn, they will still require maintenance often(every 3 runs or so) but they will still last longer than a 6 turn.

The difference between a single(ie 12X1) and double(ie 12X2), is the number of wires used to make a turn(a turn is the number of times the wire/s are wrapped around each armature pole). THe lower the turn, the more RPM they hasve and more HP they have, with the down side of increased wear. The number of wires used to wrap each pole causes the torque to be moved around in the RPM range, lower the number (x1) will move the torque towards the lower portion of the RPM range and help increase the feel of accelerating faster. While increaing this number (x4) will move the torque curve closer to the upper limits of the RPM range of the motor, this will make the motor feel as if it is smoother with less acceleration out of a corner. For motors that have insane RPM(like a 6 turn), due to the turns being so low, they do not seem to have as much torque as a 12 turn does, that is why people use a x1 wind to get that initial acceleration out of corners back.

noobie 02-07-2006 03:29 PM

thanks alot guys that helps alot. i'll prob start out with a 12x1 as we have pretty small/short tracks here