Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB3800 vs GP3700

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default IB3800 vs GP3700

I was planning to pick up a a couple new packs, but am torn between some SMC IB3800, or team orion GP3700 SP2.

And before you say to do a search, i have searched but no one is comparing the two sets of cells.

Now the hard thing is if you read each manufacturers site, they say the have the highest voltage, the lowest IR and it makes it harder to see which ones perform better. I run mainly stock and 19 turn so I am not to concerned about run-time. Now i have heard arguments that gp cells are easier to take care of, but from research it seems like both cells are easy to take care of.

So i know ther are people who have used both and i just want to know you finds which cells better, and remember i am not a sponsered driver who will be changing his cells every race, or every other race. these puppies need to last.

thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get the IB cells, they are considerably better than the GP cells, and you can get good deals on them. Either one will last, so long as you keep good care of them. Don't let them overheat, and don't discharge them down too low.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

The common misconception that GP cells are "easier to take care of" stems from a simple fact: people are used to caring for and maintaining GP3000's a certain way. The 3700 is a similar cell so these methods that everyone have been using for the past couple years are the same. The IB cell is simply a different battery constructed of different materials so you can't necessarily treat it the same as the GP cells. Once everyone has more experience with the IB cells, I'm sure they will find ways to extract the maximum potential from it.
To answer your question, the IB cell seems to be the cell of choice for most types of racing at this time. We have not heard any more complaints than with the GP3300 regarding their longevity. I don't think it is an issue.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default IB care

What is the best way to take care of the IB cells for longevity and performance?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

equalize it on a tray before charging...charge at 6 amps...run...put away. if you run 1/12th scale or mod touring let it sit for a day (or at least a few hours) and then put 500 Mah back in the cells. Do NOT leave them sit in a discharged state or you will loose runtime and build up IR.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

there both great but just go with the 38's there newer and plus i think mostly every 6 months there will be a new batts with higher voltage
Old 02-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

wait for the IP cells to go mainstream
Old 02-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The IP cells are mainstream right now and killer stuff. The voltage on the cells do not read as high but the internals are LOW and they have mega punch.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default IP

6g72tt, you mentioned some good choices, but you should also highly consider the IP (Infinite Power) 3800 Cells. The have very low internal resistance.

You can read about them here:

http://www.infinite-power.net

or at

http://www.teampoleposition.com

You won't go wrong with any of these choices. Good Luck.