Search

Battery Maintenance Tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default Battery Maintenance Tips

Hi guys,
Ive been out of the hobby for a couple years and Im just getting back into it. I know back in the day we had rc2400's and 3000's just came out. I was told that these packs could NOT be used more than once a day, and required discharging, So i got a tray. Now they have 3300's and 3600's 3800's! Im about to pick up a couple matched gp 3300's and I was told NOT to discharge these.

basically I want to know what you guys are doing with your packs, I plan on charging these up on a Novak Millennium 1.20 or Pro. If you do recomend discharging, what do I stop discharging at? I.e: voltage cutoff?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

These new packs can be used more than once a day.

They don't need discharging between charges but oncassionally I chuck mine on The Novak smart tray just to equalize the cells.

The chargee atomatically cutsoff at 5.4 volts

Hope this helps
Old 02-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From memory...

Equalise the cells before you charge them.
For 3300's charge at 5A with around 20mV cut-off for the whole pack. You can play around with the cuttoff as you're aiming for around 55deg C at the end of a charge.

For 3800's charge at 6A, with a 30mV cut-off. Again, with an end charge temp of around 55degC.

After use, tray them down to .9v per cell or 5.4V for the entire pack. If Storing for more than 2 weeks, put 500Mah charge in them.

Before your next charge, take them down to .9 on a tray and go!

No need to discharge between charges nor to equalise. Just do it at the start of your race day.

I've been using these guidelines for a while. From memory i think i pulled this from the SMC site, or might have been Harris RC. Try either one for charging advice.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Everybody wants to go to Heaven..... but Nobody wants to die

aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

when I bought 3600 mah battery , a week later they come up with 3800.

then when I was thinking to get 3800, they came up with 4200.....

and now before getting my hands on 4200, rumors said 4500 will come.....

pheewwwwww....... when is it going to stop...

I think I'll go crazy with this .......
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

great, thanks for the advice! I am looking to get a smart tray but at $80, its quite a rip off . Maybe i will just use a Indi tray and measure the voltage with a cheapo volt meter.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

B18,,

No need to go out and buy a novak smart tray,a better choice is the Tekin battery doctor it's cheaper and works better than the Novak,all you need to do is charge at 6 amps your looking for 130 degree's at peak,after you run discharge the pack down to .09 per cell and store,the day before you race again, place two packs in the tekin tray and let them sit there until your ready to charge them,this will equalize the packs and they will be ready to charge,again 6 amps 130F degrees at peak.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by krisnata
aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

when I bought 3600 mah battery , a week later they come up with 3800.

then when I was thinking to get 3800, they came up with 4200.....

and now before getting my hands on 4200, rumors said 4500 will come.....

pheewwwwww....... when is it going to stop...

I think I'll go crazy with this .......

Battery development like anything is an ongoing process,it'll never stop,it has been this way every since I started racing back in the early 90's.just rotate your batteries once a month or so and it will keep cost down and fresh packs in your box,most tracks should have a limit on the cells you can use,right now it's 3800's until sept of 06,so there's no use in going out and buying anything more.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Since this is about batteries, I would like someone to tell me HOW to set delta peak (has always been my problem)

I have some old 3300 and 3700........using Reedy Quaster Pro and ICE...they have the options from 0mv (or is that called DELTA PEAK)....to 10mv.....from ICE manual, said if I want to peak detection to be more accurate I should set the MV to a higher level ( 8 or 9 delta peak) but on my reedy manual, it said 3300 use about 5MV....when I charge both batteries at 3 or 4 or 5MV, it faults peak at a much eariler time.........untill I set them to 8-9mv...

Tell me where am I doing wrong.............thanks for advance
Old 02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Ice Charger, Smart Tray, Integy 030

I have an Ice Charger and an Integy 30amp discharge tray. My first question is, would it be beneficial to invest in a Novak Smart tray to maintain and condition/equilize my batteries?

2nd, does anyone use the Ice Charger's Step charge feature? Is that beneficial? What does your set-up look like for 3300's and 3800's?

3rd, What would be the best way to charge and maintain these batteries with these 3 products (Ice Charger, Integy 30 amp Discharge, & Novak Smart Tray)?

Thanks for the input...
Old 02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

The best way to adjust your delta peak is by temp, start at 0 and work from there,go until you reach 130F degrees at peak this is the optimal temp for 3800's.